Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #61
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Her little Gary will be so lost
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #62
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obviously a huge icon for Star Wars but I can't help but love her for roll in The Blues Brothers

RIP

csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #63
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure most guys around my age, and probably a lot that are younger, had a crush on Princess Leia at some point. Then as we grew older we saw another side to Carrie Fisher and came to appreciate not only her wit and her writing skills, but things like her advocacy for mental health. 2016 has sucked for celebrity deaths, but like a few others here I think this one hit me the hardest.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #64
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap. Glad 2016 is almost over. It's been a tough one for aging celebrities.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #65
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very sad.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #66
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one hurts.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #67
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought she was older than 60.

This one...damn...loved her "most recent film performance" as well.

Rest in Peace

Last edited by killer_carlson; 12-27-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: sorry for the spoiler
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #68
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

They've finished filming Episode VIII so you'll see her in that. I'm not sure if it will cause story issues with Kylo Ren in Episode IX.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #69
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

This one...damn...loved her CGI cameo in Rogue One as well.

Rest in Peace
Uhm, spoilers????
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #70
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Uhm, spoilers????
Lol... you can't be serious. Who cares? The movie has been out two weeks and this recent development kinda makes spoilers a non issue
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #71
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry
Old 12-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Lol... you can't be serious. Who cares? The movie has been out two weeks and this recent development kinda makes spoilers a non issue
Some of us like to go into a movie not knowing anything about it. Is a week and a half really fair game to throw these things out now? Whatever. Just seems like something I'd keep to myself, or maybe in the thread with giant "spoiler" warnings about the movie.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #73
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Personally, before watching a movie, I'd go out of my way to avoid anything even potentially trivially related to the film.

Anywho, Carrie's appearance in Rogue One isn't exactly what I'd consider a spoiler.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #74
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dill with it.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #75
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Dill with it.
I have. And now I'm salty. And a little sour.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #76
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

This one...damn...loved her "most recent film performance" as well.

Rest in Peace
Uhm, spoilers????
Quote:
Some of us like to go into a movie not knowing anything about it. Is a week and a half really fair game to throw these things out now? Whatever. Just seems like something I'd keep to myself, or maybe in the thread with giant "spoiler" warnings about the movie.
It's a good thing you fully quoted the original post to complain it contains a spoiler and kept said spoiler relevant for all who come along to read, only then to complain about it being there further when the only reason it's still actually there is because you quoted it.

This thread isn't about you though, so thanks for taking the train off the tracks.

Lanny's Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny's Moustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #77
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #78
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just starting to sink in right now. I remember every weekend I would rent Espisodes IV-VI on VHS as a 4 year old and watch Star Wars every week. Although I wasn't born when these movies were made, I watched them before the prequels and I feel like I've grown up with them. I don't think I will ever like any trilogy as much as I did that one. I know swearing is taboo on this site but #### this. I'm trying to find words to describe how I feel but I can't. It's just terrible. I've never felt this way about a celebrity death before. It's weird.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #79
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Carrie Fisher’s most important work? Speaking out on mental illness

Quote:
Fisher struggled with mental illness for much of her life, something she was outspoken about at a time when depression, anxiety and other diseases were heavily stigmatized. It took Fisher years to be diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and even longer for her to accept it, as she told ABC’s Diane Sawyer in 2000.

“I thought they told me I was manic depressive to make me feel better about being a drug addict,” she said, one of her first times speaking publicly about living with the disorder. “It’s what you think. If you could just control yourself … You had an indulged childhood … You were a child of privilege … I don’t know, that’s what I thought. You’re just a drug addict.”
Quote:
“There is treatment and a variety of medications that can alleviate your symptoms if you are manic depressive or depressive," Fisher told USA Today two years later, after receiving an honor from the Erasing the Stigma Leadership awards for “speaking the truth about mental illness.” “You can lead a normal life, whatever that is.”

What made Fisher such an influential advocate for mental health awareness wasn’t just her willingness to speak on the subject, however. It was how she talked about her manic depression that set her apart: with a sardonic, darkly comic tone that made her battles sound normal, not tragic.
Quote:
Even in her efforts to make light of her diagnosis, however, Fisher was upfront about the hard work involved in going about daily life with bipolar disorder. After experiencing a manic episode while performing on a cruise ship in 2013, she spoke to People about the experience, and how her relationship to mental illness was more tenuous than she made it seem.

“Over the years, writing about [having bipolar disorder] did help me to be able to talk about my illness in the abstract, to make light of it,” she said, still recovering from the incident at the time. “That’s my way of surviving, to abstract it into something that’s funny and not dangerous. But what happened was I lost the serious relationship with it. It is not an entertainment. I’m not going to stop writing about it, but I have to understand it.”
http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/27/14...-health-legacy
Old 12-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow, this one really did hit me because of the nostalgia attached to it. I first saw Star Wars in 1977 in the cinema down by the Calgary Tower. I remember that the lineup was huge. (I also remember that that area was the hooker stroll at the time so there were scantily clad woman walking back and forth on the sidewalk. Weird thought but what evs). Anyways my dad took me for my 10th birthday and he bought along my best friend in the world at the time, who ironically enough had the same first name as me.

I also remember sitting beside my Dad, who traveled all the time with his job, so I rarely saw him, but this was special, I remember sitting with him on one side and my dad on the other and we were sharing a huge bucket of buttery popcorn as the opening sprawl came up on the screen.

"A long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far away"

I remember the excitement of seeing space ships zipping across the screen, and white clad stormtroopers and a monster in Black Armor. I also remember a beautiful girl with a unusual hair cut, a bad british accent and a acid tongue. She had the nerve to stare Vader in the face and basically call Tarkin a mutt. She called a 7 foot tall furry alien who wasn't afraid to rip the arms off of things a carpet. But at the same time she showed incredible bravery and compassion and concern and worry. That was my first intro to Carrie Fisher.

I always link that first Star Wars to the good times that I had with my dad. And because of it the story and even the actors have a special place in my heart. For a brief period before things went very wrong for me and my dad, we had that moment. I remember on the drive home chatting with my dad about the movie, my fingers still sticky from popcorn and him commenting on the Princess calling her the toughest person in the film, which was the ultimate compliment from my old man.

I mean sure we had the tough desparate princess in love in Empire, and we had bikini Leia in ROTJ, but the original in the long white dress asking Luke if he wasn't a little short to be a storm trooper was the best one.

Throughout the years I've remained a devoted fan to Star Wars. But I was also a big fan of Carrie Fisher. I remember reading about her fight against addiction and Mental Illness. I remember watching the movie Postcards from the Edge with a girl that I was sweet on, and even though it was a chick flick and I had to pretend to hate it because nobody was blown up. I loved it, because it was the Carrie Fisher story.

I remember watching the George Lucas roast and the Harrison Ford roast and seeing her interviews and she was a funny and smart and aware woman. Yes the years hadn't been kind to her physically, but god damn it she was still a princess to me.

I remember seeing her cameo in Fanboys, and it was so brilliant and she in a short scene conveyed a utter sense of compassion and kindness and finality to one of the main characters.

I remember when they announced that she was going to be in the new Star Wars movie, and everyone tended to make fun of it. She's too old, and rough looking and fat to be in this movie. But I didn't care, she was still Princess Leia to me, and when she showed up on the screen again, I will admit that my heart and my brain did a fist pump that met up somewhere in the middle of my chest. And I thought, what a great reunion, and I thought back to seeing Star Wars with my dad at 10, and the stuff that went wrong, and I looked to my left in the theater at my 83 year old dad and felt like things had come full circle for me again. Everything was alright in the world, and I hadn't really thought about it when we saw Han Solo or Luke in the end, I had that feeling when I saw Carrie Fisher on the screen where she belonged.

And I remember driving my dad home, and he basically said "She's still the toughest character out of all of them".

So when I found out that she had died, all those feelings of seeing a childhood hero die kind of exploded out of me. I didn't know Carrie Fisher, though I admired her, I've never met Carrie Fisher, but her humor and her presence when I saw her in movies or interviews was overwhelming and something to look forward to.

My dad mentioned that she died and he said "She wasn't that old, its a shame".

I do think its fitting in a way that she went now, she could have been a Hollywood tragedy if she had died years ago in the middle of her struggles. But instead she was given the chance to re-invent herself, to become a figure of awareness for mental health and addiction issues, and she became something to be enjoyed and admired again, and for that we should be at the very least a little grateful. Instead of talking about another celebrity that we once admired who fell into obscurity and died in an unfortunate way as a cautionary tale. We at least got a bit of a feelgood story, and in reflection that makes it hurt a little bit more.

Rest in Peace Carrie, in the end you kicked back the darkness and light a single candle for a lot of people, and for that we should be grateful to you.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote