Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2023, 08:58 AM   #41
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say a 7 or 8? Been very blessed that all my friends and family are still heathy. The job has gone through some restructuring and I survived a round of layoffs. The goal still is to retire at 55, or at least not work full time, so I still have about 15 years of working (which does bring down down one or two points).

Winter darkness doesn't bother me, as most of the things I enjoy (other than golf) isn't really sunshine dependent, and I like the hole away and play games in the dark anyways. It's also almost Christmas, so looking forward to that. It's probably Jan / Feb that I'm usually at my lowest TBH, but I expect it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:06 AM   #42
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

6. The hard parts are hard, and the good parts are good.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:29 AM   #43
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A solid 2. And it's multiple factors - the constant parade of heavy news from the last 4+ years has ground me down, and then you throw in things like finances, aging and work and it just feels like the world's rolled over you. Since early 2022 it's actually felt like I'm in Groundhog Day, because everything is the same, and I've literally felt numb for most of that time- no peaks, no valleys. And numb is worse than peaks and valleys.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:29 AM   #44
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

1-2. I have bipolar disorder and just recently came out of a manic phase and crashed really hard. Having a pretty hard time with the depression cycle right now.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:32 AM   #45
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
A solid 2. And it's multiple factors - the constant parade of heavy news from the last 4+ years has ground me down, and then you throw in things like finances, aging and work and it just feels like the world's rolled over you. Since early 2022 it's actually felt like I'm in Groundhog Day, because everything is the same, and I've literally felt numb for most of that time- no peaks, no valleys. And numb is worse than peaks and valleys.
I think this would be the solution to a lot of folks mental health. I know money doesn't make people happy, but not having money can sure make someone miserable.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:37 AM   #46
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Geez. Not to brag or anything but I'm probably a 6.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #47
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Absolutely everything sucks,

Looking for work over the last year sucks and is disheartening.
The project work right now has tapered off and stuff that's coming is 3 or 4 months away.
The family situation right now sucks.

I've had too many friends try to take advantage of me over the last few months.
The things that I used to like doing, I just don't like anymore.
I am sorry to read this CC.

Nothing lasts forever.

Put your head down, lean into it and soldier on.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #48
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think this would be the solution to a lot of folks mental health. I know money doesn't make people happy, but not having money can sure make someone miserable.

Exactly. I don't think people necessarily want to be swimming in it Scrooge McDuck style, they just want enough so they don't have to obsess about scraping bottom. And one thing that's been clear in the past few years is seemingly everyone is scraping bottom.

- Surferguy
Old 11-16-2023, 09:40 AM   #49
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
1-2. I have bipolar disorder and just recently came out of a manic phase and crashed really hard. Having a pretty hard time with the depression cycle right now.
The wife of a good friend of mine suffers from Bipolar disorder as well. It really has put a strain on their marriage and frankly the stories he tells are astonishing to me.

I hope things get better for you.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #50
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The wife of a good friend of mine suffers from Bipolar disorder as well. It really has put a strain on their marriage and frankly the stories he tells are astonishing to me.

I hope things get better for you.
Yeah, I'm fairly well-medicated at this point, but there are still things that can trigger an episode (lack of sleep, stress, substance abuse, etc.). Kind of ironic that it's happened to me during a time where I'm not even touching alcohol. That said, I've definitely dealing with quite a bit of stress at the moment, and my sleep has been horrible, so it's not overly surprising.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:49 AM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Not gonna lie it’s kinda tough to read about so many people struggling. Puts things in perspective that beyond internet randos to argue with, that there are real people behind the usernames and avatars. I don’t have much to offer in the way of solutions unfortunately.

To anyone struggling, I offer my virtual support, for what little worth that has.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:50 AM   #52
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. I don't think people necessarily want to be swimming in it Scrooge McDuck style, they just want enough so they don't have to obsess about scraping bottom. And one thing that's been clear in the past few years is seemingly everyone is scraping bottom.
Yeah, I'm pretty concerned that it's going to get worse before it gets better. The unrest is going to get worse and worse as more people struggle to provide shelter and food for themselves and watch the hogs at the top continue to hoard. Also think there are many people still out there with untreated PTSD or PTSD-like symptoms from all the COVID stuff.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:53 AM   #53
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty concerned that it's going to get worse before it gets better. The unrest is going to get worse and worse as more people struggle to provide shelter and food for themselves and watch the hogs at the top continue to hoard. Also think there are many people still out there with untreated PTSD or PTSD-like symptoms from all the COVID stuff.

I look at history and think that these are the type of conditions that trigger revolutions.

- Surferguy
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #54
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sort of thread is just kind of frustrating to read. I'm not diminishing anyone's struggles or suggesting that they're not going through difficult times - the thing I find frustrating is how we talk about "mental health" as this big catch-all for non-physical struggles. The conflation of those struggles with real mental illnesses is just... I mean, Rubecube's 1-2 is just a whole different thing from some of the other stuff expressed in here, and I really wish we had different language to talk about these very distinct situations people can be in.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 09:55 AM   #55
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I look at history and think that these are the type of conditions that trigger revolutions.
I just hope I die (happy and childless) before the #### really hits the fan.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:08 AM   #56
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, really hoping some of you can find a way to pull yourselves out of the cycles you are in. Never enjoy reading things about community members here, but such is life sometimes unfortunately. Hoping the best for y'all. After reading some comments here, I would say I am probably around a 7. Lots of my own issues pale in comparison to what some are going through not only here, but around the world.

The RU/UA war has really taken a toll at some points in my home. But I am grateful every single moment knowing my wife and (almost) all her family are safe, when back in 2022 I legit worried I might never see any of them again. Been having some roommate drama lately which sucks, because my wife and I went out of our way to help a couple that is new to the country last year, only to have them over the last few months basically take advantage of us and stab us in the back at various stages. I am lucky to have the job I have and am paid well, but I constantly feel like my role will be outsourced at any moment due to having a new boss across the world in a country notorious for using outsourced employees. Feels like it's only a matter of time.

In the grand scheme of things, these are all pretty minor. My family is all healthy and stable. I live in a country where I don't have to worry about artillery or missiles hitting my house in my sleep. Even with the roommate situation, we've been able to pay off almost all my debt and save more money then ever before. If I do get laid off, I have been preparing for this scenario for years and will be ready to hit the ground running searching for another job. My wife's family had a difficult year adjusting to life in Poland from Ukraine, but now have a great living arrangement, her Mom having a great support system of new friends, and her step dad recently got a new job for a lot more pay. My parents broke the 60 year old marks last year, but have their health, finances in order, ability to travel and are in good spirits about getting older.

TBH I could probably bump up my score to an 8. I have a lot to be thankful for and a great partner to go along with it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 10:18 AM   #57
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I flip between 7-9

Spoiler!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 10:19 AM   #58
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post

Finding it hard to find joy in things that I used to enjoy.

Don't have the energy or drive to go out and meet up with friends and everyone's busy and/or feeling the same way.

Hitting a point in my career where I look at the future and can't imagine doing this for another 20 years till retirement, but finding it tough to see an alternative path.
Get out of my brain!
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:22 AM   #59
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

7-7.5 on average. Which is the highest it's been in years tbh.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:23 AM   #60
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Cecil, it is heartbreaking to hear of so many people struggling

Personally I am fortunate. I am in the 7-8 range.
My wife and I are healthy with good family support around us. We get along with each other’s in-laws well and each other’s siblings
I recently started a new career path that has me excited about work again. A year ago I would have answered this in the 3-4 range because work was so draining
Good friend group that we meet up with on a regular basis and share life with.

Bonus. When Cavalry wins it runs up to a 10. And when they lose it bombs to a 2 because they’re a bunch of nincompoops that I care way too much about…
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cbc news 988