Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2020, 11:15 PM   #1041
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What school was that? Wisewood?

Fowler Falcons forever, dude.
Yeah, Wisewood. My junior high team name was cool too - the Milton Williams Marauders.

Friends who went to Louis Riel didn't like being called the Bisons, so they petitioned the principal to change the name to the Louis Riel Rebels. He kiboshed the idea, saying they didn't want the school to be association with rebellion...
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:35 PM   #1042
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, Wisewood. My junior high team name was cool too - the Milton Williams Marauders.

Friends who went to Louis Riel didn't like being called the Bisons, so they petitioned the principal to change the name to the Louis Riel Rebels. He kiboshed the idea, saying they didn't want the school to be association with rebellion...
I think my mom went to Wisewood.

My Juniour High School was the Dr. Gordon Higgins HUSTLERS.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #1043
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Regardless of the history of racism with the franchise, I think that in the end the resistance from the team was primarily concerns around marketing. The team was intrinsically tied into their traditional identity and as i remember that for the longest time that when the Giants were a bad team it was always the Dallas-Washington rivalry and the Cowboys/Indians theme that accompanied the rivalry.

i also think the failure in marketing of removing the Bullets name also made them worried about a change.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #1044
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Regardless of the history of racism with the franchise, I think that in the end the resistance from the team was primarily concerns around marketing. The team was intrinsically tied into their traditional identity and as i remember that for the longest time that when the Giants were a bad team it was always the Dallas-Washington rivalry and the Cowboys/Indians theme that accompanied the rivalry.

i also think the failure in marketing of removing the Bullets name also made them worried about a change.
I also think it's because Snyder grew up as a fan of the franchise, if I became owner of the Flames, I wouldn't want to change their identity either
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #1045
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is no polite way to suggest to someone that they have devoted their life to a folly.
- Daniel Dennett
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #1046
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

They just need to drop the "red" from the name entirely IMO and distance themselves from this. Nothing wrong with the colours, but keeping the "red" in the new name is too much of a link with what was wrong with the previous name.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #1047
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think a double standard in this thread is that a whole mess of people here have fully typed out an array of offensive terms to certain groups of people but I have yet to see someone fully type out a certain word that starts with "N". Just an observation.
GIODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #1048
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIODUDE View Post
I think a double standard in this thread is that a whole mess of people here have fully typed out an array of offensive terms to certain groups of people but I have yet to see someone fully type out a certain word that starts with "N". Just an observation.
That's not really a double-standard and I'm not sure what the point of your observation is.

The "n" word is also censored, so you'd never actually know and there's not much point in typing out a censored word.

After all, saying ###### is a ####ing #### move that makes you look like a ####ing racist piece of #### and a dumb ##### regardless of any context.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #1049
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's a weird point to make. I don't get it.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #1050
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That's not really a double-standard and I'm not sure what the point of your observation is.

The "n" word is also censored, so you'd never actually know and there's not much point in typing out a censored word.

After all, saying ###### is a ####ing #### move that makes you look like a ####ing racist piece of #### and a dumb ##### regardless of any context.
I am mostly curious as to why some slurs are more offensive than others. I am no way advocating that we be allowed to say it. I am not one of those, "well they say it so I should be allowed to say it" Just simply wondering why some slurs are allowed to be uttered and others not. Who decides?
Old 07-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #1051
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The n-word is a slur that was used to dehumanize a race deemed as "subhuman" and "uncivilized" for generations. Black people using it is seen as them reclaiming a word used as a weapon by their oppressors. White people using it is seen as evocative of the aggressively inequitable culture propagated by the era of slavery.

In short, if you're white, you don't get to ####ing say it.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #1052
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Western High School changed from Redmen to Redhawks in 2014.
yeah both my high school and university teams were nicknamed Redmen while I was a student. they are now Redhawks and "Team" respectively
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #1053
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I am mostly curious as to why some slurs are more offensive than others. I am no way advocating that we be allowed to say it. I am not one of those, "well they say it so I should be allowed to say it" Just simply wondering why some slurs are allowed to be uttered and others not. Who decides?
Society decides. We live in a culture that makes these decisions collectively and through various means. It's the same method by which we have developed codes of ethics, and how we have come to classify various behaviours as moral and immoral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #1054
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
My junior high team name was cool too - the Milton Williams Marauders.
so cool they had to tear it down
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #1055
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The n-word is a slur that was used to dehumanize a race deemed as "subhuman" and "uncivilized" for generations. Black people using it is seen as them reclaiming a word used as a weapon by their oppressors. White people using it is seen as evocative of the aggressively inequitable culture propagated by the era of slavery.

In short, if you're white, you don't get to ####ing say it.
Please read what I wrote again.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #1056
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Society decides. We live in a culture that makes these decisions collectively and through various means. It's the same method by which we have developed codes of ethics, and how we have come to classify various behaviours as moral and immoral.

So context means nothing. I know that calling someone redskin is not ok. But saying redskin in the context of talking about the word itself seems to be ok. but saying the N word in that same context is taboo. Does not really make sense to me. AGAIN, I have not desire to say the N word and even if it were socially acceptable to say it in the context I just described, I would still refrain from saying it.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #1057
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Please read what I wrote again.
I did. You asked what makes the n-word more offensive than other slurs. I explained why it is.

Generally speaking, all slurs are very offensive and can only be acceptably said by the people who are the target of them. Slurs, generally, are aimed at certain cultural or ethnic groups. Normal swear words, like f*** and s***, are just generally seen as rude, but who gives a f*** if you say them, really. Slurs are different because they are targeted and dehumanizing. Society decides which slurs are more offensive or less offensive than others. If it were up to me, saying the words "Redskin" and "Indian" would be much more societally objectionable.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #1058
GIODUDE
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I did. You asked what makes the n-word more offensive than other slurs. I explained why it is.

Generally speaking, all slurs are very offensive and can only be acceptably said by the people who are the target of them. Slurs, generally, are aimed at certain cultural or ethnic groups. Normal swear words, like f*** and s***, are just generally seen as rude, but who gives a f*** if you say them, really. Slurs are different because they are targeted and dehumanizing. Society decides which slurs are more offensive or less offensive than others. If it were up to me, saying the words "Redskin" and "Indian" would be much more societally objectionable.
you just chose to write those words though. It was up to you and you still wrote them. I don't get that.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #1059
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
you just chose to write those words though. It was up to you and you still wrote them. I don't get that.
Good point, guess I should start. But either way, it really goes back to what Textcritic said.

Quote:
We live in a culture that makes these decisions collectively and through various means.
Doesn't mean that it's right, but the words "Re*****" and "In****" have been deemed more societally acceptable than the n-word over the last century. But, for good reason, that seems like it's going to change.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #1060
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
So context means nothing. I know that calling someone redskin is not ok. But saying redskin in the context of talking about the word itself seems to be ok. but saying the N word in that same context is taboo. Does not really make sense to me. AGAIN, I have not desire to say the N word and even if it were socially acceptable to say it in the context I just described, I would still refrain from saying it.
Context means everything. The context is the history of the word, the history of the people and society's treatment of each other, the modern usage of the word, and the differences in offensive and inoffensive usage of it.

You can say the N word if you want, but it is inherently offensive in any usage. There is no non-slur variations of the word. Up until Monday, Redskin was the name of a football team, so the non-slur variations existed fairly readily.

This isn't a new thing, either. History is littered with words and phrases and that went in and out of strict taboo. We probably have the least amount of taboo words today than at any point in modern history.

This isn't unique to these terms either. Go ahead and use the term "dick" in a social setting in Canada, and then use the term "c##t" and see what the difference is. In theory, they're really no different, but they carry a different severity.

It's possible that one day redskin will be as taboo as the N word, or more so, or that neither word will be seen as offensive as their history is mostly forgotten. It happens all the time.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: