Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #81
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Black men were allowed to vote in the states long before women (white or black) were. Just to clarify for you guys

It is covered in the best show on television, Boardwalk Empire
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #82
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke's dad View Post
When I was in high school 20 years ago a team in our league from a reserve had 2 sets of hockey jerseys.

1 was the chicago blackhawks logo. The other was a picture of a wagon on fire. If the people who are from the minority deemed to be having racist names against them don't find it offensive why should anyone else?
I'm going to guess it was due to a lack of education on what the Blackhawk logo represented.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #83
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Blackhawks were named after Frederic McLaughlin's WWI regiment. The Regiment itself, primarally from Illinois, was named after Chief Black Hawk.

So no, the Chicago Blackhawks were not named to "honour times when [natives] were slaughtered". Though the regiment's name may or may not have been. Not saying that this makes the name alright, only that you are being deceptive in how you present the formation of the team's identity.
Came to post the same thing. I don't think that this name is actually offensive as its genuinely intended to honour the chief. If natives are though, then the name should be changed.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #84
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
What I found interesting about this issue is that if UND got the 2 applicable bands/tribes (I don't mean to be using an offensive term... if those are offensive) to state that they support the Fighting Sioux name/logo, UND could keep it.

One of the bands supported the name, the other couldn't be bothered to cast a vote. Finally to settle the controversy, the issue went to plebescite.
Bands and tribes are the correct terms.

Bands deal with the larger group, while tribes deal with the inner groups of bands.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #85
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
UND Athletics has ditched their name "the Fighting Sioux" after a North Dakota state plebescite voted overwhelmingly to dump it. Interesting that they're not allowed to pick a new name until 2015...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...kota_athletics
That whole situation is a lot more complicated than a single vote. UND tried to go the path of Florida State, who retained the Seminole name by obtaining the blessing of the Seminole tribe. UND got permission from one Sioux tribe, but had another hold out (in somewhat controversial fashion) leading to years of lawsuits.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #86
hayduke's dad
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
I'm going to guess it was due to a lack of education on what the Blackhawk logo represented.
they must have been non educated on the wagon burners one then too i guess.
hayduke's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #87
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another name that I find offensive as a citizen of this group is the Montreal Canadians. With their soft play and giving up leads and such I just think they reflect poorly on our proud history as a people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #88
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't catch that the first time i read it.

There's also the idea of "owning" the racism. This is typically done so that it can not be used as an offensive attack.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #89
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
That study is almost a decade old.
I don't know if something more recent - but there is enough anecdotal evidenced coupled with COMMON SENSE that the name should be changed.

Frankly if even 9% of aboriginals (as noted in the study you cite) find it offensive - that's enough for me.
I strongly disagree, there is going to be a small minority of people who are lways going to find offensive any name that is brought forward.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #90
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
thats terrible. I was in a bar pool tournament in the SE when some smart ass called a native that and he got a a pool cue smashed over his head.

That is a despicable term.

Redskins you would think should be removed by now.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #91
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Another name that I find offensive as a citizen of this group is the Montreal Canadians. With their soft play and giving up leads and such I just think they reflect poorly on our proud history as a people.
It's Canadiens
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #92
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
It's Canadiens
I always refer to the Montreal Canadiens as the Habs as that is how i have always known them.
Would Habs be considered an insult? as some Montreal fans don't like it but some on the other hand refer themselves as Hab fans.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #93
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
A lot has changed in 50 years. Black people dont have to ride in the back of the bus.
I do agree that most of these are people being overly sensitive( i.e will the Flames have to change their name because it offends gay people, who prefer to be call Flamers), although Redskins is clearly over the line. Just substitute the letters "red" with "black" and ask yourself if it would be appropriate.
The Confederates must be outraged. OUTRAGED!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #94
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's Canadiens
Meh, offensive either way.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #95
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that sensitivity and tact are the key here. It is no secret that black people have a lot of fun calling each other the infamous "n..."-word, both privately and publicly. Yet, it is absolutely not appropriate nor acceptable TODAY for white people to use that word. Jewish people love telling Jewish jokes. Again, it is not appropriate or acceptable for gentile to tell these same jokes. These assumptions are pretty obvious today, but they would have been ridiculed as little as 30 years ago. My wife works with native kids at school and, she says, they refer to themselves mostly as Indians. Does that mean everyone else should be calling them Indians publicly? I don't know, but I lean towards "probably, not".
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #96
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Another name that I find offensive as a citizen of this group is the Vancouver Canucks. With their soft play and biting and such I just think they reflect poorly on our proud history as a people.
fixed.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #97
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Columbus Blue Jackets might be offensive to the Southern states as well as the to the British perhaps. If someone is anal enough. It all can get as narrow as you want once you start digging into the history of a name
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #98
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that is pretty much the go to counter argument pretty much sums up just how little basis there is to argue against changing these names.
Coincidentally, when my company was first setting up new filtering software, I had emails referencing the Vancouver Canucks blocked because "Canuck" was considered a derogatory term by default.

It is ridiculous, but the fact remains that someone, somewhere finds it offensive.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #99
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

what about the CANUCKS? As a Canadian, i am offended that the team with full of divers is using the nickname Canucks. What will the Yanks, Swedes, Finns and Russians will think of us Canadians...full of cheating divers? hehehe

On the serious note, the political correctness in general is just getting way out of hand.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #100
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

How bout the San Diego Padres? Named after Spanish priests.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote