Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #121
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Steve Mason? Anti Niemi?
Mason was a RFA.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #122
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Bernier worth any consideration whatsoever?
Or would he just be another hope this works out kind of thing?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #123
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over the last 3 (regular) seasons Bishop has a .918 sv% which is along the lines of his career avg (.919). He is also injury prone. This is what you consider when offering him a contract. Also consider he is a moose carcass that sits in front of the net and blocks shots - there is a good chance changes to the goalie equipment will add to goals against Bishop, even if it's 1 extra goal every 3 games that's enough to bump up a GAA by .33 and drop a sv % by about .004.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #124
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My line up that I would like to see:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Oshie/Eaves
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Lazar - Chaisson/Stajan

bench: F. Hamilton. I would take Versteeg back in a heart beat if he can sign for a similar deal as this past season.

the 4th line is interchangeable, our team isn't made on the 4th line, it is based on how our top 9 can produce and be effective. Tkachuk, Benny and Ferland would be the worst line to play against in hockey. They are mean, fast and pesky but can score. This only works though if Jankowski can make the jump. Either that or Lazar shows in training camp that he is ready to play in the top 9 and Jankowski doesn't, but I doubt that. Janko has been great in the AHL and has a legit change this year.

I can only pray that LV takes Brouwer, I just have this gut feeling that they won't. He can't continue to play for the flames, can he? Such a terrible season and even worse playoffs. Just useless.

For the back end, I like what some have been posting above. But I don't see a lot of changes to be honest.

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Engelland - Anderson

7th would be Bartkowski, he isn't a UFA until the end of next season, so why is he left off other poster's list? Is Tre trading him?

The only change I see is that Wideman is not back. If they don't sign Engelland then I hope they sign another vet that brings what he does. I would love him to be back.

Like I said in my mock draft. I would make a trade for one of these potential up and coming goalies, go with Gillies as the backup. So maybe Grubauer as mentioned above or Aaron Dell out of SJ, not sure SJ would do it but he has been solid and has decent numbers in 20 games this past season (2.00 GAA and .931 SVS%) oh and he is another local guy who played for the Calgary Canucks. If we have two guys like this that are unproven, then you run 5 games each or something until the levee starts to break and rotate. I think Gillies is ready. The flames have got to fire their goalie coach. GG needs to find someone else, there are no words.

For this lineup to work, LV needs to take Brouwer. The Flames are handcuffed and can't get a top line RW without him leaving this team somehow. Make it happen Tre.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #125
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I don't see us going with another "hope" goalie. Bernier is bigger risk than Elliot was. Maybe in a backup role.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #126
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Waaaaay too inconsistent for me
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #127
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Over the last 3 (regular) seasons Bishop has a .918 sv% which is along the lines of his career avg (.919). He is also injury prone. This is what you consider when offering him a contract. Also consider he is a moose carcass that sits in front of the net and blocks shots - there is a good chance changes to the goalie equipment will add to goals against Bishop, even if it's 1 extra goal every 3 games that's enough to bump up a GAA by .33 and drop a sv % by about .004.
These are exactly all the problems I have with Bishop
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #128
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Agree. He's also likely to be very expensive. I'd favour Bernier, who looks like he's matured into a solid performer, and certainly looked good against the Flames this year.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #129
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
We are trying to get that out of the crease.

This past season there was 6 legit starters 59+ games with a save percentage over .919. That means he would still be a top 10 starter in the league. While the equipment issues can be made, I think they will impact all goalies.

Last edited by Monahan For Mayor; 04-23-2017 at 10:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #130
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is no scenario where Las Vegas takes Brouwer
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #131
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
There is no scenario where Las Vegas takes Brouwer
Of course there is, unless you think Flames will protect him.

Dangle they right prospect and Vegas takes him for sure.
Likely? Nope.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #132
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
We are trying to get that out of the crease.

This past season there was 6 legit starters 59+ games with a save percentage over .919. That means he would still be a top 10 starter in the league. While the equipment issues can be made, I think they will impact all goalies.
And if you change that number to 40+ games played you get 13 guys at or over .918. Which puts him middle of the pack? If you go with 59+ starts you leave out guys like Gibson, C. Anderson, and Matt Murray.

The point was he is worth going after but be weary of paying huge UFA dollars/term.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #133
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking that the 3 extra years Brouwer's deal would be a negative with Vegas when deciding who to select from Calgary in the expansion draft, but after doing a quick mock draft yesterday I actually think it might be the reason they take him.

It was hard to select a team from the players available that had any salary commitments beyond a year or two. Now I realize the expansion picks aren't the only way they will be adding salary but even still they are going to have a tough time reaching the floor for a few years without drastically overpaying guys.

It's for this reason that I'm also now worried that they might take Brown from the Kings and save them from one of their disaster deals.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #134
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I'd much rather Scott Darling over Ben Bishop.

He may not have experience as a starter, but he'll come at half the price and has better career numbers than Bishop. About 1/3 of the games played of course, which changes how you have to consider those stats, but he's also the same size as Bishop and plays the position with more athleticism. 2 years younger as well.

He could be Talbot 2.0, certainly. Grubauer is interesting too, only 25, numbers right behind that of Matt Murray.

Otherwise I'd be interested in getting Lehner out of Buffalo. Some drama there, bad situation, RFA, young (25), and impressive numbers considering the team, could be a great fit for the Flames.

Bishop might be better than all of these guys, but I don't see him being much better. If Bishop took a 1-2 year deal, or came in at less than 5m, then you take that risk. Otherwise I fear you're paying way too much for too little. We can get a big upgrade for near the same-price as Elliott, maybe up to 3.5m, but we certainly don't need to spend the extra 2-3m above that for a guy who was nominated for a Vezina on a great team.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #135
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would also like to save cash on a goalie. The problem is when we acquire yet another unproven starter, what happens when they fail too ? Another wasted season down the goalie train ? At this point we have to start competing so we mite just have to bite the bullet and bring in a sure thing. It sucks we couldn't find our goalie earlier in the rebuild but that's how I see it now.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #136
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Bishop is not a sure thing. He'll be 31 with 2 great seasons as a starter under his belt and 2 underwhelming seasons (numbers that put him in the bottom half and even right at the bottom of 40+ game starters).

If you're paying big money, you better have more than a 50/50 shot of getting a top 20 goaltender.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #137
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Bishop is not a sure thing. He'll be 31 with 2 great seasons as a starter under his belt and 2 underwhelming seasons (numbers that put him in the bottom half and even right at the bottom of 40+ game starters).

If you're paying big money, you better have more than a 50/50 shot of getting a top 20 goaltender.
3 great seasons, in a row.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #138
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

He may not have experience as a starter, but he'll come at half the price and has better career numbers than Bishop. About 1/3 of the games played of course, which changes how you have to consider those stats, but he's also the same size as Bishop and plays the position with more athleticism. 2 years younger as well.

He could be Talbot 2.0, certainly. Grubauer is interesting too, only 25, numbers right behind that of Matt Murray.

Otherwise I'd be interested in getting Lehner out of Buffalo. Some drama there, bad situation, RFA, young (25), and impressive numbers considering the team, could be a great fit for the Flames.

Bishop might be better than all of these guys, but I don't see him being much better. If Bishop took a 1-2 year deal, or came in at less than 5m, then you take that risk. Otherwise I fear you're paying way too much for too little. We can get a big upgrade for near the same-price as Elliott, maybe up to 3.5m, but we certainly don't need to spend the extra 2-3m above that for a guy who was nominated for a Vezina on a great team.
Quote:

This is also how I feel about Bishop, sure he has had good seasons but he will come at a hefty price tag and term. Get a cheap goalie(Brad was on in Murray and Jones, so the scouting do have a idea of what they want/like.) If the price is not too high Petr Mrazek out of Detroit won't look bad(there was some talk of the Red Wings exposing him in the expansion(don't know how true this is.)

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumo...es/2017/04/11/

I think the Flames will makes trades A and B, A being the trades before the expansion draft(goalie, a top line RW because they can afford to protect another forward and a goalie) and trade B(a top 4 D man and other trades.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #139
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:

This is also how I feel about Bishop, sure he has had good seasons but he will come at a hefty price tag and term. Get a cheap goalie(Brad was on in Murray and Jones, so the scouting do have a idea of what they want/like.) If the price is not too high Petr Mrazek out of Detroit won't look bad(there was some talk of the Red Wings exposing him in the expansion(don't know how true this is.)

I think the Flames will makes trades A and B, A being the trades before the expansion draft(true # 1 goalie, a top line RW because they can afford to protect another forward and a goalie) and trade B, trades after the expansion draft(a top 4 D man and other trades.)

Last edited by Par; 04-23-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #140
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
3 great seasons, in a row.
Really? In 14-15 he was 19th in SV% of all goalies who played 40+ games. He followed it up by being the 9th best goalie in the playoffs.

That's not great. That's underwhelming, especially for a guy who will command 5m+ when you can get a better performance for cheaper.

2 great seasons, 2 underwhelming to bad seasons. The numbers don't lie. I know you're passionate about Bishop, but the evidence of him being a sure thing just isn't there no matter how you look at it. This season wasn't an anomaly. It was part of a trend that should at least give you pause before opening up the pocket book for the guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:

Tags
too soon?