Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #101
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think GG is Ok and want him to have another year. But there are certain things that trouble me.

Calgary hired him after every other coaching vacancy was filled. He was simply not an in demand coach and there's little doubt (in my mind) he wouldn't be a head coach on any other team in the NHL. But if we're smarter than everyone else then I guess who cares.

The team did improve this year, no doubt. But our record outside of the gimmick rounds (3 on 3 and shootout) was sub .500. The only playoff team with such a distinction. We saw that in the playoffs when the team couldn't win a close game

That's not all on the coach whatsoever. But this team still has work to do to to rise above mediocre.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #102
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I don't want him back. Hope there's better options so we don't have to.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #103
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I hope we create a coaching carousel where we're always searching for the next great thing instead of getting any sort of stability. The 17 point gain he made with this team was pure dumb luck and we should kick him out of the door as soon as possible.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #104
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would give him another year. I think any time you hire a coach, unless they totally lose the room, they deserve at least 2 or 3 seasons to gain traction.

I'm not a big fan of Gulutzan, but I am also tired of seeing steps backward because of constantly hiring and firing coaches.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #105
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Yeah I hope we create a coaching carousel where we're always searching for the next great thing instead of getting any sort of stability. The 17 point gain he made with this team was pure dumb luck and we should kick him out of the door as soon as possible.
I heard he doesn't talk to the players before games.

I also heard he doesn't change his lines.

Plus, the use of timeouts.

Also, he has more hair than I do so obviously I have to hate him.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #106
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Give him another season and see if he can keep this team in the playoffs.

I am seriously concerned with how this team played this year. Despite the good record after the start they were still streaky which it makes hard to figure out which Flames are the real Flames and how GG actually performed. He made some really weird personnel decisions this year and his playoff performance, well, it speaks for itself.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #107
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bring him back unless one of the top teams let go one of there coaches.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #108
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy drastically improved this team in just about every facet including the underlying stats that all suggest it wasn't a fluke like 2014/15.

Also, the way his team played in the playoffs they should at worst be tied 2-2 in the series right now. Most unfair sweep I've ever seen.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #109
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Perception matters. I agree with Vlad in that I certainly didn't like him to start, although I've warmed up to him. For the first half of the season it seemed to me he projected no signs of actually caring. That could be seen as being cool-as-a-cucumber like Kiprusoff, but it can also be seen as being arrogant or out of touch.
Good god. Who cares? I mean, beyond the fans or the media does anyone on the team actually give a rat's ass about Gulutzan's demeanour when he is on camera? This is just stupid.

Quote:
It may not be the right thing to think of GG because of how he rubs some people the wrong way, and it may even seem immature, but its real and GG will have to work on his public persona if he wants to last past next season.
Flat out NO. There is nothing wrong with Gulutzan's public persona, and I am certain that team management and ownership is totally unconcerned about whether or not fans like his comments to reporters, or whether or not he freaks out on the bench when things don't go his way. All they care about is winning, and Gulutzan at the bare minimum has earned the benefit of the doubt by the team's dramatically improved performance this year.

Quote:
I'm all for bringing him back and I think he'll improve next season, not just in how he coaches but how he presents himself.
You should probably get over your first impressions because Gulutzan does not work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #110
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
There's a lot of acceptance and excuses for mediocrity in this thread.
Or maybe some of us realize that even the Lords of Luck, the mighty Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs (just to use random examples), took years to become powerhouses that made it all the way to game 5 of the first round.
Making the playoffs in the middle of a rebuild is a bonus. Let's don't confuse lack of surprise for acceptance or rationalization.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #111
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

YES without any hesitation. Love the way we played all season after that horrible start. Just composed, great structured hockey team. And it can only be better next season with some stabilitiy! This sweep was so unfair.......will have a bad taste in my mouth for months....probably till Oct! Go Flames!
calgaryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #112
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny that we spent the last 10 years laughing at the oilers for their ridiculous coaching carousel, and some people here are more than happy for the flames to jump on.
Team stability plays a huge factor in franchise success, imo, so dumping coaches after a (good) year is really going to mess with stability.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #113
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keep most the coaching the same, find out if any members of the coaching staff aren't going to be able to grow adapt and improve going forward.Need to stay the course, build on the positives and learn from the negatives. When the team just keeps cycling through people without letting them learn from mistakes and grow from them it's really hard to establish any kind of consistency. That being said I expect strides forward next year.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #114
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be amazing to give Darryl Sutter our defense.

Ive been hard on GG all year, but of course he deserves to be back.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #115
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

The real question is - has Sigalet been fired yet? He and Cameron both can be let go as far as I'm concerned - but especially Sigalet
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #116
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
Lets stop debating BTs renewal. It is 99.99% likely. GG back next year is 99.9% likely.
Probably? What gives me pause is that Elliotte Friedman has laid down a couple of hints. I personally think he is pretty trustworthy and not one to throw out baseless rumours. A poster on this site also hinted that ownership is not enamoured with Treliving.

Guess we'll see soon...
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #117
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
The real question is - has Sigalet been fired yet? He and Cameron both can be let go as far as I'm concerned - but especially Sigalet
Is retaining the goalie coach the head coach's decision or GMs?
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #118
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's be honest. Most everyone who doesn't want him back disagreed with the hire in the first place and simply wants a do over.

Whether you liked the hire or not, it just makes no sense to start all over again. Again. It would take an elite coach coming available to make me think otherwise.

Some would say that's Darryl Sutter (who I love). But its such a polarizing topic I doubt you could have a rational discussion here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #119
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only coach I'd like for the team to look at replacing is Sigalet. Outside of that I was pretty happy with our special teams and I thought once the team bought into GG's system they were noticeably better than years previous.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #120
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

You bring him back and you don't even think twice about it. This is a young coach who builds a strong bond with his players. He has mentored under some great coaches and is tight with Babcock whom he looks up to. He is a really smart guy who employs a very good system. Yes the team struggled out of the gate but it was a new system and once they stuck to it they were one of the best teams in the NHL. It is a no brainer.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote