Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #61
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about unless you are close to the team or have some inside experience with Gulutzan.

The team improved dramatically this year under his watch. Of course he should be retained.
Did you watch the post-game interview? He was asked what he said to the players after the game. He said "Nothing, I haven't talked to them" He's known not to talk the room... So I do know what I'm talking about unless he's lying to the media and he did talk to the team.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #62
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
IMO the coach is tied to the GM. If Treliving isn't retained, Gulutzan is gone too.
Yep and Tree should be feeling some heat. Most important position in the game and he has got it wrong two years in a row. It was so bad last year that they dropped out of the playoffs. Back to mediocre this year and they are back in the playoffs albeit fodder for the Ducks. GG in his NHL coaching career has been mediocre at best.

The team needed an actual starting goalie and a top line RW and they got neither!
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:05 AM   #63
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is a ridiculous discussion. GG and BT are just fine for this group. Lets stop debating BTs renewal. It is 99.99% likely. GG back next year is 99.9% likely.

We all just need to stand back and look at the big picture. This team is building something special here. You only need to look as far as scoring chances in the series to see, we are on the cusp. We went toe to toe with Anaheim.

I had zero interest in going to game 4 after experiencing the nightmare of Game 3 but in the end, it was very enjoyable. The Flames never gave up and Johnson looked cool and collected once he settled in.

I was proud of the boys. This series sweep will sting all summer which is exactly what we want them to feel. Look out next year.

Randy Carlyle admitted himself that Ducks got all and I mean all the puck luck in this series.

GG is the right coach for this bunch right now. Maybe not in three years but certainly now. They need structure and they need a players coach.

The Flames learned the painful lesson that you cannot win in the playoffs without at least league average goaltending and preferably elite goaltending.

This 4-0 series loss saved us from re-signing Elliott to a long term contract for big dollars. I think I now understand why no team has handed him the starting job uncontested in the past.

The real debate we should be having is whether to platoon Johnson on a cheap 2 year contract with Gillies/Rittich next year and spend the extra cap space on a 1RW or spend that precious cap space on a Bishop which means at least a 4 year deal and no winger for Gaudreau/Monahan. Not sold on Ferland as 1RW but might have to live with it to secure better goaltending short term.

The only coach I want out the door is Sigalet purely because it is a results based business and every goalie he has coached as regressed when here. Perhaps Sigalet is technically good but is he the right guy for the mental side of goaltending?
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #64
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is strange he doesn't talk to his players after the games.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #65
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that we can't argue with the overall results of this young team at the end of the day.

My only issue with him is his strange routine to not speak to the team after the game. Especially tonight, the general should be I the trenches with his team and not addressing this group after the last game of the year is not right imo. I am not sure how this team can truly become one when the coach isolates himself. Maybe it's nothing but the best managers I have worked for don't eat lunch at a different table so to speak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #66
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Did you watch the post-game interview? He was asked what he said to the players after the game. He said "Nothing, I haven't talked to them" He's known not to talk the room... So I do know what I'm talking about unless he's lying to the media and he did talk to the team.
You do not know what you are talking about by thinking that Gulutzan's practice of not addressing players after the game is a serious issue. You don't know what you are talking about by pointing to subjective and anecdotal things like demeanour and mannerisms as somehow meaningful indicators of his capabilities as a coach. You don't know what you are talking about by suggesting that Guliutzan does not have the respect of players or officials. You don't know what you are talking about because you simply do not know about any of these things beyond what you have seen projected on a television screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #67
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I think that we can't argue with the overall results of this young team at the end of the day.

My only issue with him is his strange routine to not speak to the team after the game. Especially tonight, the general should be I the trenches with his team and not addressing this group after the last game of the year is not right imo. I am not sure how this team can truly become one when the coach isolates himself. Maybe it's nothing but the best managers I have worked for don't eat lunch at a different table so to speak.
You are confusing Gulutzan's practice of not addressing players after the games with being insular and mercurial. Based on all reports he is neither of those things. Gulutzan actually spoke to this in an interview mid-way through the season. He said that he doesn't like to talk to the team right after games because the emotions are too fresh—he much prefers to let things settle, and feels like he everyone is able to assess situations more rationally and clearly outside of the heat of the moment.

It may not be commonplace, but it sure makes a tonne of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #68
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have ever been around a pro locker room after a game, the emotions are extremely high, win or lose.
The best coaches use the "12 hour rule" . Let things settle down and address the game performance , positive and improvement areas, the next day.

Pretty sure it's a little more energized after a game than your typical office atmosphere.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #69
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
It is strange he doesn't talk to his players after the games.
I wondered about that too awhile back. But when he was asked about that earlier in the season he said:

"I learned from Tortorella that it is best to wait until morning to talk to the players post-game. It removes the emotion from the discussion and helps avoid a situation where you say the wrong thing out of emotion that you later regret.
The players need some time to reflect on their game. They aren't listening so soon after anyways."

Sounded reasonable to me.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #70
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kris Versteeg said we have an excellent coaching staff. And he's played for a few.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #71
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gulutzan is a good regular season coach because his strong defensive systems will get you through the grind... but he lacks the testicular fortitude to control momentum in a game or, as we saw, series. I've seen it all year... I think deep down the problem with a player's coach is that they don't want to get on their player's bad side by benching them for anything but egregious mistakes. This kind of coach is just great if you've got the Washington Capitals roster (btw, I think Trotz is the exact same kind of coach, and I'm not a fan of Trotz either) because the team depth isn't an issue. But for a mediocre roster like ours, we need a coach with a sense of desperation, who will throw **** at the wall to spark the team. Hartley had it, but just insisted on his passive defensive systems and penalty kill. Quennville is the best coach in the league, as he will dig deep to get an edge. Another guy who seems to have "it" is Laviollette.

Overall, should Gulutzan be outright fired for getting outcoached in this series? No. He deserves an opportunity to reflect and get better. But I don't think Gulutzan has earned any extension to his contract.. he should be let go at the end of his deal if he doesn't prove he can take the next level in-game. If he stagnates, we won't get anywhere.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:26 AM   #72
KipperRules
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Yes, no doubt! Special team and Goalie coaches not so much
KipperRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 AM   #73
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I've always been intrigued by the fact that most successful, cup winning coaches, seem to be these grizzled old guys, with post concussion syndrome, look like they cut their hair with a flowbee and suits that look just at home on a used car lot.

These pretty, new age coaches that seem to worry more about their hair and bespoke slim fit suits seem to fail more than not.

Likely a stupid observation. But something I've always noticed non-the-less. Maybe the old rough guys come across more authoritarian and father like to the players, and get more respect?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:33 AM   #74
SkunkyJosh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm a Bob Hartley fan here. Bring him back please.
SkunkyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 AM   #75
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

It's amazing how much better a coaching staff looks like with a good goalie in net.

Bring GG back, get a goalie that can stop a shot from the side boards along the ice, and see what happens.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 AM   #76
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gulutzan should not be fired. Should not have been hired in the first place though.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #77
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of his player usage, playing Brodie on his off side was a bad move early, the whole fanbase could see Ferland was the better fit on the Monahan line over Mr. dead puck Chiasson and instead of sending a message to Brouwer to shape up or you won't play he plants him on the top PP unit for the year. I could steal a pylon at a construction site and it would do the same job.

He'll be back for sure because they made the PO's and he has a contract, but I think he'll have a short leash.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #78
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring him back. Once the team got playing his system, they looked good. Even in the loss to the Ducks the team still looked good. I think his system could lead this group to achieve some pretty good success in time.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #79
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Longest winning streak in franchise history under Gulutzan.

"He's terrible because he didn't win in the playoffs with a very young team! Fire him!"*

Makes sense.

*All 4 games are 1 goal losses where we had very troubling goaltending and bad bounces.

Hey, majority of CP. Step away from the keyboards for the next couple of days. Take some time to reflect and let the emotion dissipate. On garbage bag day, come back and have some well thought out points before starting threads or ranting and railing against everyone on the team.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #80
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Of course Gulutzan stays. Of course Treliving stays. This was a season of progress, adversity and ultimately success as the Flames made it to the playoffs with a seven point cushion. They also played some pretty good hockey in the playoffs despite being swept. I bet the brass believes that things are coming along pretty nicely and according to plan. Adjustments will be made, and I'm stoked about what this team will bring to the table next season with a massive chip on their shoulders.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote