Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #221
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Elliott forever damaged the relationship between himself and Flames management with his play in games 3 and 4 of the playoffs. There is no way the Flames brass could ever sell the the idea of bringing him back with fans. He's a good person but his time with Calgary is over.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #222
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Pittsburgh needs to get rid of Fleury in order to keep Murray, and the Flames wants to get rid of Brouwer. This makes a perfect match to trade. Trade before the expansion draft and the Pens can still expose Brouwer. Flames get a number 1 goaltender and is just tied up for 2 more years. Perfect timing for Gillies or Parsons to make the jump tone the starter.
Yeah but what happens if LV doesn't take Brouwer off the Penguins hands? That's one team that can't afford to be paying $4 million for a fourth line winger over the next three seasons even if they rid themselves of Fleury's contract.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #223
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Pittsburgh needs to get rid of Fleury in order to keep Murray, and the Flames wants to get rid of Brouwer. This makes a perfect match to trade. Trade before the expansion draft and the Pens can still expose Brouwer. Flames get a number 1 goaltender and is just tied up for 2 more years. Perfect timing for Gillies or Parsons to make the jump tone the starter.
Pittsburgh doesn't need to trade him if he agrees to waive his ntc. Which he'd have to do to be traded anyways. I don't think pits is as desperate as we think.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #224
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Pittsburgh doesn't need to trade him if he agrees to waive his ntc. Which he'd have to do to be traded anyways. I don't think pits is as desperate as we think.
So then Vegas gets him in expansion draft? You can only protect one goalie.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #225
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I think that would be more desirable for the pens then trading him for Brouwer
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #226
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Penguins would rather fetch a return of a 3rd round pick or whatever they can get rather than lose him for nothing to Vegas.

Quote:
I think that would be more desirable for the pens then trading him for Brouwer
I don't think anyone here is under the illusion that proposal would even be considered by the Penguins.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #227
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Penguins would rather fetch a return of a 3rd round pick or whatever they can get rather than lose him for nothing to Vegas.

I don't think anyone here is under the illusion that proposal would even be considered by the Penguins.
They are going to lose someone regardless. Just like everyone else. They could trade MAF for a 3rd then lose another piece anyways.

And that's the original post proposal I quoted which is why we are talking about this. Brouwer for MAF. I refuted it.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #228
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After having a day to cool off about it you can't help but feel terribly for the guy. I was ripping him as much as the next guy but after watching both his interviews after game 3 and 4, you can tell how gutted he was over his performance.

It has to be tough for a guy who is coming towards the end of his career to go into a season of unknown after a performance like that. Ultimately I do believe the number one reason they lost was because of goaltending but I hope the guy finds work somewhere next year.

Best of luck to Brian Elliott, although things didn't work out the way anybody envisioned when he was first required, he grew on me as the season went on. I hope somebody takes a flyer on him and he can work out his consistency issues.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #229
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, there are 6 contenders for who to get for next year.

Bishop - UFA
Darling - UFA
Grubauer - WSH
Pickard - COL
Korpisalo - CBJ
Raanta - NYR

There are a couple other guys like Fleury and Mike Smith.

Personally I think Grubauer, Darling and Korpisalo would be my three picks with Gillies backing up.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #230
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
After having a day to cool off about it you can't help but feel terribly for the guy. I was ripping him as much as the next guy but after watching both his interviews after game 3 and 4, you can tell how gutted he was over his performance.

It has to be tough for a guy who is coming towards the end of his career to go into a season of unknown after a performance like that. Ultimately I do believe the number one reason they lost was because of goaltending but I hope the guy finds work somewhere next year.

Best of luck to Brian Elliott, although things didn't work out the way anybody envisioned when he was first required, he grew on me as the season went on. I hope somebody takes a flyer on him and he can work out his consistency issues.
Sports can be brutal that way. Pro, amateur whatever. I hope the best for him too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #231
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not really how it works. Fleury has a partial NTC/NMC. He can't be waived or claimed in the expansion draft without his consent, but he can be traded to one of 18 teams that he lists. So he could easily get traded without having to waive anything. And even if he did waive his NTC to one of the other teams not on his list, that doesn't mean he waives his NMC to be part of the expansion draft. A player only waives his clause for a specific transaction.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #232
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Elliott forever damaged the relationship between himself and Flames management with his play in games 3 and 4 of the playoffs. There is no way the Flames brass could ever sell the the idea of bringing him back with fans. He's a good person but his time with Calgary is over.
Thats ridiculous. His play is the reason they were in the playoffs.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #233
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fleury and his contract are a great stop-gap if the price is right.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #234
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
How many other teams would be able to take on Fleurys salary, especially if the teams are already protecting a goalie?

I still don't see the Pens having a bunch of dance partners for something they need to take care of.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #235
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
It's professional sports. You either perform or you don't. If you don't, you deal with the fallout (ie: criticism, loss of market value, etc). He didn't perform.

At the end of the day he's a multimillionaire who gets to go home to a hot wife, loving family, and a financially secure future. There are people in the world who deserve sympathy; I don't think Elliott is one of them.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #236
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Thats ridiculous. His play is the reason they were in the playoffs.
..and now his play is why we are out of them in 4 straight. Or at least the biggest reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Personally, I don't want another stop gap. Especially since we have no idea how big the "gap" is really gonna be.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #237
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

at some point you have to question the coaching of our goalies - how many goalies have we been through in the last two years and none of them have had a good run in Calgary. It cant always be that the goalies are bad
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #238
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
at some point you have to question the coaching of our goalies - how many goalies have we been through in the last two years and none of them have had a good run in Calgary. It cant always be that the goalies are bad
Sure it can.

Hiller, Ramo and Ortio?

All playing in Europe this year. There is a reason for that, and it's not Jordan Sigalet.

Berra? Well, he's just lucky that Roy/Sakic saw something in him and gave him that nutball contract. But it expires this summer and he will be on his way back to Europe too.

Joey MacDonald? Career AHLer, also now in Europe.

Danny Taylor? Europe
Leland Irving? Europe
Henrik Karlsson? Europe

He's just had a pile of bad goalies to work with in his career. Or at least bad for the NHL level.

This year was the best tandem he's had to work with.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #239
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those old enough will remember Turek letting in one early against Tampa in the 2004 regular season in Jan or Feb. He got stupidly booed on every goal after, including a Tampa 2 on 0 breakaway and a 3 on 1, as the Flames got trounced.

Sutter never played him at home again,until he came in for mop up duty in Game 4 vs SJ as the Flames were losing big going into the third, and, the next game 5 was the next day back in SJ.

He did play on the road in the regular season and had a huge few games, one in particular vs Vancouver which was the game before the Flames clinched the playoffs at home. And then Sutter and he agreed to redo his contract to extend it another year past the one hat was left, but the lockout took care of that and Turek moved on.

Parallels with Elliott, who didn't get nearly the credit for his stellar play down the stretch to get the Flames in,or in game 1 or 2 of the series to keep the Flames within one goal those games.

But, like Turek, the mob has likely somewhat unfairly spoken and given his contract, he won't get the cooling off period that Turek had as backup for Kipper in winter and spring 2004, so Elliott is likely one and done. Johnson will likely stick around being a Calgary fu.

Flames took Kipper far too for granted overall for his demeanor and just solid play on those tough saves he made look easy and didn't even get credit for from fans.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #240
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=Roof-Daddy;6235044]Sure it can.

Hiller, Ramo and Ortio?

All playing in Europe this year. There is a reason -- yeah ruined by incompetent coaching..
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote