Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #101
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Also, it is not the Crown's main priority to get a conviction. Their main duty is to see that justice is done.

You might be surprised to know that the Criminal Bar is very cordial. Crown and defence are not enemies. They work together often and understand each other's roles. It is not unusual to see them meeting for lunch, drinks, or becoming good friends. Many criminal lawyers have served in both capacities - Crown and defence.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #102
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Cruel and unusual means defence counsel is seeking sentences that are fairly consistent with established laws and precedents, taking into account many other sentencing factors:

There are a number of sentencing principles found in sections 718.1 and 718.2 of the Criminal Code:[6][7]
  • The sentence must be proportionate to the nature of the offence.
  • The sentence must be reduced or increased depending on the mitigating and aggravating factors (discussed more below).
  • The sentence must be similar to sentences imposed on similar offenders for similar offences in similar circumstances, but it remains open to the sentencing judge to deviate from the range.[8]
  • If the sentence is consecutive, it must not be unduly long or harsh.
  • An offender should not be deprived of their liberty if less restrictive sanctions are appropriate.
  • All available sanctions other than imprisonment that are reasonable in the circumstances should be considered, with particular attention for aboriginal offenders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimin...ing_Principles

A defence lawyer's duty does not end the moment a guilty verdict is rendered.

Everyone who fights a speeding ticket, is almost always certainly guilty of the offence. Why not just accept the maximum penalty then?

Defending the indefensible? Lawyers on representing clients accused of nightmarish crimes
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2014...ndy-charles-ng

http://www.americanbar.org/newslette...ntclients.html
Well I know I don't want to get into an endless debate with a lawyer, lol! However I will say this...the actions of defense lawyers often don't seem to be in keeping with the words that are used to describe the role in my opinion.

Lets hope justice is served appropriately in this case.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #103
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would have thought they would have collected those to begin with?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #104
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We're veering way off, but I have to ask how many defense Lawyers would eventually end up having mental issues and breakdowns.

I mean as much as we talk about dispassion, or defending against illegal or oppressive or unconstitutional prosecutor and police tactics.

someone wouldn't be human if they didn't feel guilt about getting a guilty murderer off, or getting a convicted pedophile a short sentence.
I can't speak specifically to defense Lawyers, but there are lots of stats, studies, and articles about lawyers in general having a higher incidence of alcoholism/drug abuse, depression, suicide, etc. (anywhere from 2 to 5 times higher than the general population).

I would imagine criminal lawyers would have to be pretty grounded to do what they do on a daily basis. The stress would surely add up though...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #105
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I can't speak specifically to defense Lawyers, but there are lots of stats, studies, and articles about lawyers in general having a higher incidence of alcoholism/drug abuse, depression, suicide, etc. (anywhere from 2 to 5 times higher than the general population).

I would imagine criminal lawyers would have to be pretty grounded to do what they do on a daily basis. The stress would surely add up though...
I can't see family law being that enjoyable either? A lot of law seems like a lot of conflict and I think that would be difficult to deal with all the time.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #106
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Would have thought they would have collected those to begin with?
Possible the initial warrant didn't include it? Maybe the burning barrel was just off a property line or something?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #107
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

What happens when a crime committed in Calgary requires an investigation outside of their jurisdiction? Do the RCMP handle it? Do CPS "send their people"? Is it joint? Do they work together, or is any of that Hollywood BS true, where the local force gets butthurt when the feds show up?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #108
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
What happens when a crime committed in Calgary requires an investigation outside of their jurisdiction? Do the RCMP handle it? Do CPS "send their people"? Is it joint? Do they work together, or is any of that Hollywood BS true, where the local force gets butthurt when the feds show up?
Living out here during the whole search for the Liknes' and Nathan, and the subsequent searching of the property, we had both the Calgary police service and the RCMP attending. I suppose in this particular case, it's possible there might have been butthurt, because hey, humans, but whenever you saw any of either group in town, they generally spoke quite highly of each other. We (speaking generally here, not specifically of myself) saw a lot of them in Tim's and other fast food establishments. People were bending over backward to try and buy them all coffee and meals and such. I witnessed people thanking them for doing what they were doing on the case, and if it was a CPS member, they always brought up the RCMP and their work and support and vice versa.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #109
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The discussion about whether the accused tells their lawyer the full truth is interesting.

I expect criminal defence attorneys have a standard spiel they give to their clients before they ask questions, to provide the client the understanding that what the client tells them might have implications for the nature of the defences raised if a trial proceeds.

I'd invite some actual criminal defence attorneys to chime in if they'd like, but as I understand it, an admission from your client as to having actually committed the crime does not prevent you from challenging and testing all of the evidence. However, if you know by admission your client is guilty, you as lawyer are prohibited from suggesting someone else did the crime. And that seems appropriate to me. The defence lawyer is not there to do injustice, but rather to hold the Crown to high standards for conviction.

A lawyer can not mislead the court, nor can they counsel an offense. Consider this in light of the criminal charge that can arise from refusal to blow on a breathalyzer. My understanding is that a lawyer can not counsel someone to not blow, because that is in itself an offense-- refusing to blow is legally equivalent to blowing over in many cases. They can however let the detained person know the possible outcomes and effects of blowing (which might provide evidence against you) and then let the accused decide what to do.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 05:11 AM   #110
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sickening, two separate testimonies now about seeing teeth on the floor in the house! How violent that must have been, it's devastating to think of the horror that family has to deal with, knowing these things.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #111
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ is heartbreaking to think what Nathan must have seen or dealt with thanks to garland
Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #112
Bar-Down
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Day 7 of the trial - Disturbing evidence today. Read at your own discretion.

NSFW!

What a sick sick man this Garland guy is.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #113
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ makes you wonder if this guy is a serial type
Old 01-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #114
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Not sure I would go that far, but it certainly seems like he planned this out in a pretty detailed manner. Disgusting either way.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #115
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garland is one of the biggest losers I've read about in ages. Lives with mom and dad, murders a child and two adults over a stupid patent that no one profited from. Just ridiculous.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #116
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!

I have to give props to all the media attending this trial and relaying all the information to the public. Something I wouldn't want to do.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #117
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stuff they pulled out of this guy's place.. man.. what a sick SOB
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #118
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Not sure I would go that far, but it certainly seems like he planned this out in a pretty detailed manner. Disgusting either way.
How would the early details not make you think that far?

Regardless of the reasons for these particular murders the level of detail suggests this was no standard angry revenge killings.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-24-2017 at 03:48 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #119
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
More
two mannequin heads found in #Garland office with blonde wigs -also multiple pairs of women's size 13 shoes

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
More
Oxton- reusable adult diaper found in closet of the office in #Garland basement

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 12m12 minutes ago
More
Oxton said they seized an electronic listening device in the #garland basement, as well as two large whips/cattle prods

Oxton detailing other items found in #Garland basement-including a straight jacket

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 15m15 minutes ago
More
Oxton said a number of documents were also found hidden in the rafters--with the name Matthew Hartley on them #Garland

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 20m20 minutes ago
More
Oxton said a computer hard drive was found to be tucked away in the rafters of the #Garland basement

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 10s11 seconds ago
More
Oxton-books on how to commit murder and not be caught found in #Garland office -also “Be your own undertaker-how to dispose of a dead body”
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #120
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Sounds like the crown is building a really strong case. I'm very pleased.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post: