Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #61
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Horrible to read all of these things, can't imagine what these people had to endure before it was finally over. I hope this guy fries, one way or another.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #62
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't get the sense the parents made the connection at all, just the sister.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #63
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Now that it's very easy to find where they live, I hope no vigilantes decide to take things into their own hands and try to harass the parents for their son's doings.
If they do, they'll find it empty. They no longer live there.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #64
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can a lawyer try to defend this guy? I don't understand
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #65
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Having no knowledge of the inner workings of our legal system, or even who is defending this case for that matter, is it not one's right to have court-appointed representation in criminal cases? If so the defence may not have had a say in the matter.

Can't imagine any attorney in his/her right mind willingly taking this case, especially given the mountain of rock-solid evidence the Crown seems to have against Garland.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #66
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Having no knowledge of the inner workings of our legal system, or even who is defending this case for that matter, is it not one's right to have court-appointed representation in criminal cases? If so the defence may not have had a say in the matter.

Can't imagine any attorney in his/her right mind willingly taking this case, especially given the mountain of rock-solid evidence the Crown seems to have against Garland.
All the more reason to have a good defence lawyer, and those two should be applauded for defending Garland. He has the full resources of the state against him. Let's say he is guilty, and it looks like he is. But without good defence lawyers to test the evidence and assure as a result the trial is fair, there wouldn't even be a reason for trials.

The police would gather their evidence, the Crown would lock them up, and that's it. Every single time. You're guilty because the state says you are.

A functioning free society requires defence lawyers brave enough to even defend the despicable, to ensure the integrity of our legal system and by extension our democracy.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #67
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like the only chance the defence will have is mental illness.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #68
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This question hurts my head.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #69
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
This question hurts my head.
Then pop an aspirin and go to bed. Or if you've got something to say, then say it. But don't turn this thread into a pissing contest.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #70
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
All the more reason to have a good defence lawyer, and those two should be applauded for defending Garland. He has the full resources of the state against him. Let's say he is guilty, and it looks like he is. But without good defence lawyers to test the evidence and assure as a result the trial is fair, there wouldn't even be a reason for trials.

The police would gather their evidence, the Crown would lock them up, and that's it. Every single time. You're guilty because the state says you are.

A functioning free society requires defence lawyers brave enough to even defend the despicable, to ensure the integrity of our legal system and by extension our democracy.
Its not like the Canadian justice system has never convicted innocent men of terrible crimes. Then throw in the numerous recent transgressions of CPS.

The system needs some checks and balances.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #71
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I don't know how this works (kind of thankfully), but isn't the fact that we got this far kind of past the point where that would be considered? Like he couldn't look at the mountain of evidence and then try to suggest that after the prosecution presents their case?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #72
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would expect that perhaps defence lawyers look at defending a guy like this as a professional challenge.

It is unfortunate that some of the boards experts in this field are unable to offer thier insights and opinions
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #73
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I would expect that perhaps defence lawyers look at defending a guy like this as a professional challenge.
That would imply that they want to win. I'm quite certain that they'll be overjoyed to lose this case after putting up a vigorous defense.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #74
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I thought that and I could be wrong that you pretty much had to declare that as your defense at the start of the trial so the prosecution can bring in their own experts.

Is revenge a mental illness, because the level of preperation this guy did and the cold way he went about it makes me think he's pretty well ordered.

I think from talking in other debating threads on this very board in Pittsburgh PA (whoops going for the cheap cheers). That the burden of proof for a mental illness defense is very hard to achieve.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #75
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.greenspanpartners.com/law...nspan-q.c.html

Quote:
“People always ask: How can you represent a guilty man? There is a very simple, quick and complete answer. Our whole system of criminal justice is built on the basic premise that every man is presumed innocent until he is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. His guilt must be shown by evidence produced by a prosecutor in a courtroom -not in a newspaper or a news broadcast.

I haven't the slightest moral conflict defending people accused of homicide, sexual assault, business fraud, environmental offences, or even crimes against humanity. I don't "draw the line" at anything. If I defended crime, maybe I would - but I don't defend crimes. I only defend people, innocent people. Until they are found guilty there are no other kinds of people for me to defend, and what difference does it make what an innocent person is accused of?

If you are a criminal lawyer, you stand between the abuse of governmental power and the individual. If you are a criminal lawyer, you stand between the abuse of judicial power and the individual. If you are a criminal lawyer, you are helping to mould the rights of individuals for generations to come.

In the search for justice, the criminal lawyer has a pivotal role to play. It is his or her responsibility to see that the accused is not unfairly deprived of his freedom. By protecting defendants, whether guilty or innocent, from the abuse of power by the State, the criminal lawyer protects us all.”
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #76
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Essentially what Troutman posted.

It can be further boiled down to a scenario like this: if someone who appears guilty and is guilty is denied a proper defense, what happens to all the people who appear guilty but are innocent?

Our system relies on proving guilt, not assuming it. In a case like this, even the best will have a very hard time overcoming the facts.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #77
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So maybe I can ask a completely dumb question to some of the lawyers or people in the know here. Say you have a client like Garland here. Does he meet with his lawyers and give his version of events? I have no idea how this goes or really no experience with the system, so I've just always been curious. Does he basically say "yeah, I did this and here's how it went down..." and then his lawyers try to defend him? Or does he most likely lie and give some kind of story that is completely different?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #78
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So maybe I can ask a completely dumb question to some of the lawyers or people in the know here. Say you have a client like Garland here. Does he meet with his lawyers and give his version of events? I have no idea how this goes or really no experience with the system, so I've just always been curious. Does he basically say "yeah, I did this and here's how it went down..." and then his lawyers try to defend him? Or does he most likely lie and give some kind of story that is completely different?
I wonder this as well. Like if you hear the real truth of a crime, how hard it would be to keep your bias at check. I know its the spirit of the justice system but man to hear some of these gruesome details...
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #79
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
No defence lawyer answers this question.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #80
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

Our system relies on proving guilt, not assuming it. In a case like this, even the best will have a very hard time overcoming the facts.
Thank goodness Johnny Cochran died
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote