Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #61
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Seeing someone that you know on the street and then after chatting with them for 5 minutes you say goodbye only for them to start walking in the same direction as you. Nothing is more awkward than that.

Edit: Extra awkwardness points if it's a girl you want to bang.
And you can't remember her name
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #62
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, the only thing worse than these awkward moments is when the other person says "well, that was awkward" or "awkward silence".
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #63
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Every time at the first hole, the marshall/starter is there. I tee off and head out, he says 'have a good game' I say 'you too!'
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #64
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Hopefully this one hasn't been brought up yet; When you're in a customer service situation and the employee tells you to enjoy whatever service you are paying for and you say "Thanks, you too".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #65
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Going to my 10 year HS reunuion and having some smoke show walk up to me and say she was supposed to be my date for grad. I remember standing with a stunned look on my face and not saying a word. A minute or so later she says "I just thought you should know" and walked away.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #66
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

- In my first year of college I worked at a gas station. "Have a good one" was my normal goodbye. I always said it without even thinking. Going through a hundred customers a shift, saying "have a good one" just becomes routine. We had a public washroom, but they had to ask me for the key to get in. One day I handed the key to a really cute girl and told her to "have a good one."

- Working as a part-time deliver driver I have my regular stops. I'm always chatting with the various people at my stops and I had noticed that one girl changed her hair colour. I'm kind of a quiet talker and as I was walking by I said, "hey, you changed your hair colour. It looks good!" She responded, "yeah, I did," in a friendly, happy tone. Clearly she didn't hear the last part about me saying in looked good. Now she thinks I noticed her new hair colour, but don't like it.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #67
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
First year university I met a woman early in the year. I would bump into her going to class sometimes but initially felt too bashful to admit I had forgotten her name. Then I couldn't do it because we had stopped and spoken a half dozen times and didn't want to look like an ass. It was always, "Hi, how are you? Good to see you again, what's new? yadda, yadda" Usually in these situations friends would bail each other out, but whenever I bumped into her there was never anyone else around. I got my degree and I never remembered her name..
I had a very similar experience in second year. It was my greatest "Seinfeld" moment. First day of class the prof asks us to break into groups and I naturally group up with an attractive girl nearby. The following class she sits next to me and I realize that I can't remember her name and rather than simply apologize and ask her for it I stupidly sat there trying to figure it out. So when the third class came around and I still didn't know her name I felt we had come to far for me to ask her what it was. She sat next to me for the entire semester and I only managed to find out her name in the final week of classes. I felt so terrible and incredibly dumb.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #68
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I had a very similar experience in second year. It was my greatest "Seinfeld" moment. First day of class the prof asks us to break into groups and I naturally group up with an attractive girl nearby. The following class she sits next to me and I realize that I can't remember her name and rather than simply apologize and ask her for it I stupidly sat there trying to figure it out. So when the third class came around and I still didn't know her name I felt we had come to far for me to ask her what it was. She sat next to me for the entire semester and I only managed to find out her name in the final week of classes. I felt so terrible and incredibly dumb.
And when you finally found out, did you do the horrible over compensation?

"Hey Pat! How's it going Pat? I'm good thanks Pat. You know, Pat, it's beautiful outside today... Pat."

I could write a book about social awkwardness and my experiences. But that migh force me to talk to people at book signings. So that can't happen.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #69
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
And when you finally found out, did you do the horrible over compensation?

"Hey Pat! How's it going Pat? I'm good thanks Pat. You know, Pat, it's beautiful outside today... Pat."

I could write a book about social awkwardness and my experiences. But that migh force me to talk to people at book signings. So that can't happen.
Not quite to that extent but I did use it more than I should have. She was a nice girl and I probably would have had a shot if I hadn't been a moron. On the plus side I now try to repeat a person's name after they've introduced themselves and if I forget I always ask.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 07-25-2014 at 07:07 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #70
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Social hugs are always awkward. Or rather I am always awkward in them.

Trying to delicately suggest a gay friend of mine come out was awkward. Cause it seems he's not gay. I didn't get invited to his wedding years later.

My worst moment was asking someone at work I didn't see very often when she was due, in the middle of a conference with about a dozen people listening in. Congratulations, I am an #######. I was never able to look her in the eye again.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #71
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Which building was it?
Somewhere on 4th. Why? Was it you?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #72
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Going to my 10 year HS reunuion and having some smoke show walk up to me and say she was supposed to be my date for grad. I remember standing with a stunned look on my face and not saying a word. A minute or so later she says "I just thought you should know" and walked away.
How is this awkward?
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #73
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
How is this awkward?
I didn't know what to say. Add to the fact I didn't know who she was.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #74
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Had some GI upset due to excessive beering the night before. Having lunch at the downtown Met. Music was loud enough to provide cover. So as I was walking in front of that (very crowded) row of tables facing the bar, I figured I could execute a stealth cropdusting. Music stopped before I did... I blame that on the bad DJ who mixes with a second of dead air between tracks.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #75
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a fairly recognizable pattern emerging here.

Bathrooms and women.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #76
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
There's a fairly recognizable pattern emerging here.

Bathrooms and women.
Yet none have combined them. Mutually exclusive?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #77
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Leaving voice mails. Some go really well and I sound really professional, and others don't go so well. If someone comes into my office to drop something off, I completely loose my train of thought.
...Awkward.
As someone mentioned, usually if you're leaving a VM and screw up you can hit # and re-record you message. What's even worse is if that particular system doesn't support that function so your message turns into:

"Hi Ben...hey about that thing we were talking about...uuhhh...eeerrmmm uhhh......<BEEEEEEP!!!!>. <BEEEEEEEEEP!!!!> </hangs up call.>

Leaving to you call back and fake some sort of technical glitch unconvincingly.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 07-25-2014 at 08:27 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #78
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Creating small talk with your barber while getting your hair cut.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #79
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were dining out at a Chinese restaurant here in Calgary one day, and I was trying to get my son to eat different foods, so I'd tell him, "hey, those green beans have green power!", or "these peppers have red power!". Anyway, we get our steamed rice and take the lid off and he yells out excitedly, "ya! white power!" in the restaurant full of Asian people. Fortunately, I don't think anybody in the restaurant understood exactly what my son had just blurted out.

Another time, when I was much younger in Kelowna, I really didn't care much about my clothes and just wore whatever I could find, because I was a broke student. This particular time, I didn't have any underwear, but I didn't really think about it. I was biking along the highway and this lady does a double-take, sticks her head out the window and yells, "nice balls!". I looked down and noticed that there was a gigantic rip in my shorts and I had been exposing myself to everybody.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #80
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Text I just sent to a buddy while trying to backspace....

Perhaps I should take a weekend and help you in Me
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post: