Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #21
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ View Post
Maybe we found the solution to some of the American health care problems?
yea, i have no problem with the Canadian government taxing the crap out of luxury goods like alcohol and cigarettes. i wonder how much better off the US would be financially if they did the same
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember going to Green's Package store in Atlanta, buying a 60 of Vodka, a 40 of Gin, some coolers and a bunch of beer and it was $60. I seriously started laughing at the checkout.

I was jealous.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #23
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Smokes in Denver are now running about $5.50 a pack. They just upped them with a bunch of taxes in the last couple months. They were going about $3.50 before that. A twelve pack of "regular" beer (bud, coors etc) costs about $10.50
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #24
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I remember when I was 21 and a friend and I went to Daytona for Spring Break. We hit the 7-11 and got a 24 of Milwaukee's Best for like $10. We were in total shock. Horrible beer but for the price, it didn't matter.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #25
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This got me wondering about the most expensive liquors in the world...

YIKES!!

2 million dollar cognac anyone?

Henri IV Dudognon Heritage Cognac Grande Champagne

This cognac comes in a crystal bottle dipped in 24K yellow gold and sterling platinum (four kilograms of precious metal) and decorated with 6,500 certified brilliant-cut diamonds, master-crafted by the well-known jeweler, Jose Davalos. Inside is 100 cl. of Dudognon Heritage Cognac Grande Champagne that has been aged in barrels for more than one hundred years to produce an alcohol content of 41 percent.

Insane.

And some more...

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22145/...-spirits-world
I seem to recall a $25,000 bottle of scotch on display at the liquor store in the airport in Calgary.

Henry Steel Commager (1902-1998)

bcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #26
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah...beer and wine is still really cheap for the most part in this part of the world.

I bought an 18 pack of Bud Light a couple weeks ago for a pool party we were hosting and IIRC it was $11.87.

My wife loves her white wine and one of her faves is Alice White (Australia)...a big bottle is less than 10 bucks.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #27
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
I remember when I was 21 and a friend and I went to Daytona for Spring Break. We hit the 7-11 and got a 24 of Milwaukee's Best for like $10. We were in total shock. Horrible beer but for the price, it didn't matter.
I just purchased an 18 pack of budweiser for $15.

That would be $30 in Calgary.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #28
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
In other news: Lance Bass is gay!

What's funny is that Alberta pays less than other provinces where liquor stores are government run. I used to work at a liquor store and people from B.C. would come in and marvel at the low prices of alcohol in Alberta.
Maybe a few years ago, now the prices are pretty much the same.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #29
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Maybe a few years ago, now the prices are pretty much the same.
If you're referring to prices across Canada, Alberta pays the highest booze prices in the nation
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #30
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
I thought everone knew booze is taxed 4 times more in Canada than the US
The amount booze is taxed in the US varies wildly state to state.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #31
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

US beer may be half the price but it's also half the alcohol content so you end up paying the same to get wasted and taste the alcohol anyways. lol
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #32
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check food prices out down there. Went shopping for boneless/skinless chicken and paid about half what we do in Calgary for the same thing. Milk and butter are also much cheaper. Everything in Canada is overtaxed.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #33
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
US beer may be half the price but it's also half the alcohol content so you end up paying the same to get wasted and taste the alcohol anyways. lol
The difference is usually in how the alcohol content measured. One country does it by volume and the other by weight. The two methods are not equivalent.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #34
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Check food prices out down there. Went shopping for boneless/skinless chicken and paid about half what we do in Calgary for the same thing. Milk and butter are also much cheaper. Everything in Canada is overtaxed.
There are also a lot more hormones used in food production in the US. Growth hormones are not allowed to be used in milk in Canada while they are allowed in the US.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #35
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I live 3.6 kilometers from the US border, and I do as much of my grocery shopping in the US as I can. With a 90 cent dollar, is so much cheaper down there it's kind of funny. In particular they subsidize the hell out of agricultural stuff. So Cheese, Eggs, Meat is really cheap down there. A 2 litre tub of Ice cream was like $3.50 whereas in Osoyoos it maybe goes on sale for $5 once all summer. They also have all kinds of great stuff we can't even get in Canada too.

As for booze, I always take advantage of the 6 pack I can bring back when buying groceries. Another funny one is chewing tobacco. My co-worker buys it here for $18 for a full size tin. We went down there and it's $6. I told him it's worth it to buy the can and only have a couple pinches before he goes home and stash it down there! If I lived down there...I'd be an obese tobacco addict. For that price no way I could resist it. I actually consider taking up residence in the RV park in the one parking lot of the grocery store for $8 a night.

It's really funny how Osoyoos is considered a nice area in Canada, but as soon as you cross the border...it's the worst hell the US could possible know. Yet Omak which has like 10,000 people has a full size Wal-Mart Supercenter, Home Depot and shopping and fast food restaurants that Penticton has.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 08-04-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #36
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Going to seattle this weekend can't wait to spend less on booze for our entire trip for everyone then I spent on myself for the long weekend. God bless a good dollar and the good ol u s of a
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #37
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
It's really funny how Osoyoos is considered a nice area in Canada, but as soon as you cross the border...it's the worst hell the US could possible know. Yet Omak which has like 10,000 people has a full size Wal-Mart Supercenter, Home Depot and shopping and fast food restaurants that Penticton has.
That sounds like Ogdensburg NY. It's about 12,000 people but they've got a big Wal-Mart, with plans for a new Supercenter, a Lowe's, and several big grocery stores. But the place is a hole. Most of the adults are obese and big into camouflage and/or hunting orange.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #38
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The difference is usually in how the alcohol content measured. One country does it by volume and the other by weight. The two methods are not equivalent.
Yeah, the Bud I bought tasted like it had the same amount of booze as Canadian beer.

Your standard US/Can beer has ~5% alc/vol, no?

If you want highy octane, go for European. Their "strong" beer is like 9%!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #39
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That sounds like Ogdensburg NY. It's about 12,000 people but they've got a big Wal-Mart, with plans for a new Supercenter, a Lowe's, and several big grocery stores. But the place is a hole. Most of the adults are obese and big into camouflage and/or hunting orange.
Do most of them drive domestic pick up trucks from the 1980's that are barely holding together? If so, than the two places could be identical. I'm always tempted to take a video camera and film the people down there because it's a different world. The gas stations would all be broke if it wasn't for Canadians buying gas there. I don't know how many times I've seen someone go up the register empty out their pockets and have just enough money to buy 6 beer, and a pack of smokes while wearing a wife beater and ratty jeans.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #40
skins
Self-Ban

Exp:

I was in Sandpoint, Idaho a couple weeks ago. At Walmart they were selling 12 Bud Light Lime for $9.
skins is offline   Reply With Quote