Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may want the team to rebuild (Senators and Philly style) but come game time, I'm cheering for the Flames. If they win, afterwards i'll feel good for a minute or two and then i'll look at the standings and reality sets in again.

I cheer especially loud when the young players do well, for instance when Brodie makes a nice exit, or when Backlund scores a goal. I'm not really that excited when any of the vets do anything, because they've disappointed me too much already for me to care about them.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentulus Batiatus View Post
Aren't you the poster who still laments about how great a coach Brent was for this team and it's all the players fault he was never able to make the post season? Though so. That's anyone needs to know about you, never mind how pro-player idiotic you were through the entire lockout.

19 days a member here is all that matters to you though. Not all my experience around here prior to actually signing up. Not all my years watching hockey, cheering for my team and never, EVER, hoping they will suck. That's what's pathetic, those posting that this team should just lose on purpose game in and game out. If you want to reason that cheering for loses is so the "morons" in the upper offices get the message that's fine. You are still cheering for the team to lose. That is pathetic.
Good god man, just to address your post that was directed at me:

1) Yes, I think that Brent Sutter was a good coach who got more out of the team than was actually there. I have always thought that, yet I would take an educated guess that Brent Sutter has been brought up at most twice in my last 100 posts on the fire on ice forum before this post. The idea that I am still lamenting this point is completely inaccurate, unless I am doing it with my secret invisible ink. Not sure the relevance of me thinking a coach who finished 8 games above .500 was a good coach is to what the Flames should do at the deadline;
2) Being pro-player = being idiotic? That just defies logic. There were two sides to that dispute, I supported the players side. While in the minority on CP, I definitely was not a lone wolf.;
3) The Flames are going to lose anyway, they are not very good at hockey. Losing this year gives the Flames a golden opportunity to kick start the process towards respectability again. That is all most posters want, a team that has a modicum of respectability.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #43
calgARI
Not Jim Playfair

Exp:

I'm guessing the team will be .500 or a game below at the deadline. The way they came out last night and in half of their games, they seem perfectly comfortable being a mediocre team.

CALGARY
Stanley Cup Champions: 1989
calgARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #44
FakenHaken
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
Good god man, just to address your post that was directed at me:

1) Yes, I think that Brent Sutter was a good coach who got more out of the team than was actually there. I have always thought that, yet I would take an educated guess that Brent Sutter has been brought up at most twice in my last 100 posts on the fire on ice forum before this post. The idea that I am still lamenting this point is completely inaccurate, unless I am doing it with my secret invisible ink. Not sure the relevance of me thinking a coach who finished 8 games above .500 was a good coach is to what the Flames should do at the deadline;
2) Being pro-player = being idiotic? That just defies logic. There were two sides to that dispute, I supported the players side. While in the minority on CP, I definitely was not a lone wolf.;
3) The Flames are going to lose anyway, they are not very good at hockey. Losing this year gives the Flames a golden opportunity to kick start the process towards respectability again. That is all most posters want, a team that has a modicum of respectability.
Don't expect a response very soon.

Lentulus Batiatus
Lifetime Suspension
FakenHaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FakenHaken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #45
JayFlowmeester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Free Iggy
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #46
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ryan Leslie is killing this afternoon on the FAN. His comment on the chances of the Flames going on a run were spot on:

"How can you believe in something that has never happened"
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #47
sergei_makarov
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For some reason, even though I think it's not the right move (see Atlanta, Florida, Edmonton, etc.), I keep getting the feeling lately that the Flames are going to completely gut the team (think Iginla, Kiprusoff, Bouwmeester) and acquire picks and prospects. They'll sink to last, draft first overall and see the same kind of success that Edmonton has seen over the last while over the next 4-5 years...
sergei_makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #48
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei_makarov View Post
For some reason, even though I think it's not the right move (see Atlanta, Florida, Edmonton, etc.), I keep getting the feeling lately that the Flames are going to completely gut the team (think Iginla, Kiprusoff, Bouwmeester) and acquire picks and prospects. They'll sink to last, draft first overall and see the same kind of success that Edmonton has seen over the last while over the next 4-5 years...
God I hope you are right, that would be the best thing for the Flames. Not sure why it would take the Flames 4-5 years when it will have taken the Oilers three years to get to a point where they are in the mix for 8th, especially given the fact that the Flames actually have some assets to move.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #49
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

(Language warning)

Spoiler!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #50
mister__big
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Haiku

Trade Deadline is here
Will he waive or will he not
Tragic circumstance
Last year Feaster said
"The answers are in the room"
What will he say now?
mister__big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #51
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
God I hope you are right, that would be the best thing for the Flames. Not sure why it would take the Flames 4-5 years when it will have taken the Oilers three years to get to a point where they are in the mix for 8th, especially given the fact that the Flames actually have some assets to move.
LOL. The Flames are currently in the mix for 8th as well yet we want to gut the team so we can... wait for it... be in the mix for 8th? The Oilers "strategy" has fallen on their lap. They never traded their veteran players for good draft picks because frankly they never had any that were worth while. Their GM picked the consensus first overall players even though there were other players who probably filled their needs more appropriately. The Oilers did not blow it up, they just were a terrible terrible hockey team who may have marginally improved.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #52
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
LOL. The Flames are currently in the mix for 8th

Technically, every team can be in the mix if you only look at the standings. The cruel reality of it is that the Flames have been playing like crap. They do play well some nights, but those nights are few and far between. They play great some nights, but those nights are even fewer and further between. They play good enough to win and they lose, they play bad enough to lose but sometimes win. They aren't getting better. They're the same inconsistent team that has not made the playoffs for a few years. Sure, they're "in the mix for 8th" but they're closer to 15th and the way they're playing, 15th is more likely. If you look at the schedule after the deadline (when other teams are likely going to be better) we face a daunting task. Hec, if you look at the games before the deadline, there still aren't any guarntee's! Other than a random game here or there, this team hasn't shown they can make 10th place, let a lone 8th!

Another thing to consider is where they sit in the standings. If they are in 14th but only 6 points out of 8th place, they have to pass the 13th place team, the 12th place team, the 11th place team, the 10th place team, the 9th place team AND the 8th place team. All of those teams will be fighting for the 8th place as hard as the Flames will be and the fact that they're already ahead of us means that they've been doing it better all season.

Sure, the Flames are in the mix for 8th mathematically, but realistically would you bet anything they can attain that goal?

Trading current assets for future assets isn't going to make this team better this year, it might not even make them better next year but in a few years, if done properly, this team could actually be a contender. There are no guarntee's that Iggy, Kipper or any other "stars" on this team will even be here next year or want to be here for that matter. If we step back and look at things realistically, we could make changes now for the future and if some good young players are aquired we could still be in the same position we're in now. 14th in the west and 25th overall shouldn't be too hard to get even for a team of rookies.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #53
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am not suggesting that the team should stick with the status quo. It is my personal opinion that I hope the direction of the team doesn't lead us to aspire be in the mix for 8th place in three years time.

Last edited by red sky; 03-20-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #54
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I value your opinion, I just think if the team doesn't make some "wholesale changes" than 8th place will always be the goal. I think they have to step back and take some time to "develop" the team and come back stronger than they are now. For too many years, 8th place has been the goal and that's not acceptable. The goal of the team should be to dominate the regular season and than win the Stanley Cup, but it isn't and it hasn't been. Management or ownership (whoever wants the blame because there is enough to go around) has had the mentality of sneaking into the 8th spot and hoping for a magical run, look where it's gotten us. The goal of the team needs to change and in order to change that, the direction needs to change.

Change is needed because if you keep doing what you've always been doing, you'll keep getting what you've always been getting.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #55
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think we are saying the same thing really. My comment to EB was that we should never ever compare our "blow up", if there ever is one, to what happened with the Oilers.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #56
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol. The oilers didn't "blow it up" they just imploded
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #57
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ugh. I'm pretty sure that if they don't know what they are going to do yet, a few more games either way isn't going to change anything. They really ought to have a solid plan in place by now one way or the other.
vanisleflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #58
HELPNEEDED
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
lol. The oilers didn't "blow it up" they just imploded
And look at the success. lol.

I just hope we turn out better then them, even if marginally.
HELPNEEDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #59
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

People need to get a grip here. Discussing strong asset management does not make you less of a fan. Some realities:

1) Iginla's contract is over at the end of the year. If he's not traded, he may walk for nothing. Kipper may walk for nothing too. He has one more year, but it's a "retirement" year, and he must be seriously considering going back to Europe now.

2) This team does not look like a playoff team right now, and the deadline is approaching quickly. The Flames have had several opportunities to get into playoff position but choke horribly each time.

3) This is a compressed shortened season with a very deep draft coming up. There are few sellers and all sorts of buyers.

4) Other assets like Stajan and Bouwmeester have played horribly for the Flames. In this small sample size of a season with a defensively horrible team, they look great on paper. It may be time to sell high.

5) We have solidly perorming depth guys but aren't in a position to make a cup run right now. These guys are not long term assets. I'm thinking of: Stempniak, Cervenka, and possibly Glencross.

Right now many things are pointing to the Flames being sellers. It's just strong asset management. With a compressed and shortened season, this is the year to stomach the Flames tanking. I'd much rather see it now for 20 games, than an entire 82 game schedule. The return is also the best. The Flames have had all the chances in the world this season, but can't make it stick.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #60
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
4) Other assets like Stajan and Bouwmeester have played horribly for the Flames.
They have? Wait I think you mean overall, not just this shortened season. Carry on.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote