Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 07:42 PM   #1441
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lindstrom and Catton will go top 5.
If either is still there when the flames pick, it will be a "start the car" moment.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 07:59 PM   #1442
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lindstrom, Demidov and Celebrini will be gone in any scenario barring a lottery win.
Catton may be available if the Flames get the 8th pick.

But more likely, the Flames pick around 10th and those guys will be gone. For forwards, Eiserman and Helenius may be in that range. Most have Iginla in the early-to-mid-teens, but the Flames will surely consider him.

Parekh, Buium, and Yakemchuk would be the defense to look at (most sources have Silayev, Levshunov and Dickinson going earlier, but anything is possible).

So I think the five most likely to be available and closely considered in the Flames' range are Eiserman, Buium, Parekh, Helenius and Yakemchuk. And Iginla of course, though they if are set on him, they could consider a trade down... But the whole ~4 to ~18 range will be full of volatility. Anything can happen.

Personally, I would ecstatic if the Flames snagged Catton or Buium. One leads the eligible CHL draft eligible players in points, and the other has the best defensive NCAA productions in generations. And I'm a sucker for point totals (empirical results). I think if the Flames pick a defenseman, it will be hard to miss - because they're all good (though I'm not a huge fan of Jiricek). All of them have possible top pairing upside IMO. But very few players have #1 center upside.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 03-27-2024 at 08:09 PM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 11:07 PM   #1443
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we're 8th-9th and celebrini, demidov & catton are gone, then just go for one of the batch of d-men (hopefully Buium).

If we're a couple spots lower then they have the green light from me to draft the young Iggo.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:09 PM   #1444
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Here is a little wrinkle with Lindstrom. Sounds like his hand is all healed up but his back is apparently giving him grief and he might not be back for the WHL playoffs.

If it's a chronic back issue he's dealing with he might not be a guy you want to spend a high pick on. Could be very risky.

Missing 4+ months of hockey with two different issues might cause him to fall on draft day too.
There's always a faller like this for similar reasons.

High risk/high reward. Hard to predict health but having issues that young isn't a great indicator.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:14 PM   #1445
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how far Eiserman drops. I keep hearing about how he has elite shooting and goal scoring ability, but that he sucks pretty bad at pretty much everything else to the point be has pretty high bust potential.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:19 PM   #1446
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whoever the Flames get, I will check on the thread after it's over. McKenzie kind of ruins the fun by knowing who everyone is taking.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:19 PM   #1447
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I wonder how far Eiserman drops. I keep hearing about how he has elite shooting and goal scoring ability, but that he sucks pretty bad at pretty much everything else to the point be has pretty high bust potential.
I don't think he is that bad at other facets of the game, at least not glaringly where it would impact his draft. He really does have a fantastic accurate release.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:09 AM   #1448
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Not THAT Petr Sikora! Edition):

LHC Petr Sikora (No relation to former NJ Devil Petr Sykora, lol) has played the second-most games (22) in Czechia's top league for U-18 players, eighth-most for U-20 players, which bodes well for his future. He ranks 6th overall in U-20 scoring in that league, with 3 points for Ocelari Trinec. Most of his league play this season was in the U20 league for Ocelari Trinec, with 13 goals and 40 points in 30 games, and he's tied for 13th in the playoffs right now (tied for 1st in goals), with 5 goals and 7 points in 4 games. His regular-season ppg of 1.33 was tied for 9th overall for players with 10+ games. Sikora had 3 points in 5 games at the Hlinka, and 4 points in 4 games at the recent 5 Nations.

Sikora is another one of those "good at everything, but not elite at anything" types, who will need to round out his skill set for the next level, but has plenty of attributes that will translate well in the future. He isn't a play driver, but he can do a bit of everything, and plays a solid 200-ft game. Sikora isn't big, at 5'11",170lbs, but he plays like a power-forward and an agitator, with a fairly robust physical game- his 32 penalty-minutes in 30 games are a reflection of his style. He can throw some big hits, and will go to war in the trenches against bigger players, winning pucks with ferocity. Sikora always seems to be in the thick of the battle, and has plenty of grit, and a big chip on his shoulder- he's a bit nasty and mean, and will dish out crosschecks, slashes, as well as some hacks and whacks to get opponents off their game. He's highly active and competitive, and not at all afraid to take a hit to advance the play. Sikora has playmaking skill, and is always a threat offensively- he often finds teammates in high-danger. He has keen hockey sense and good vision, with plenty of deception and manipulation in his game to mask his intent, and he has the presence of mind to to delay while the right play unfolds, rather than throwing the puck away. He has an excellent one-timer, and will cut to the middle for shot-attempts, but gets a lot of his goals around the crease, shoveling in rebounds, or beating goaltenders 1-on-1.

Sikora is a strong puckhandler with quick hands, and is good is small areas with his strong puck protection skills. He has a wide array of dekes and feints up his sleeve to move through traffic, and retains control under pressure. He's a good skater, although his stride looks a touch awkward, but he generates good power and acceleration- he could use another gear or two though, more explosiveness, and he loses some speed in turns. He's generally a skilled and intelligent player, whose off-puck game is a plus, as he seems to be in the right place at the right time in support of his teammates. Defensively, he backchecks as hard as he forechecks, and is considered to be responsible defensively. He breaks up plays with his anticipation, helps his D down low, and uses his speed and an active stick to hound puck-carriers. When he plays at the pro level right now, his game is toned down quite a bit, even though he doesn't have as much ice-time or responsibility in higher levels, and he's a bit tentative. He also often tries to do too much and forces plays, which can lead to turnovers, and he needs to make better decisions at a much quicker rate when playing pro. Sikora needs to add bulk to his frame, smooth out his skating, and he has to get considerably stronger, while rounding out his game. I'm thinking 4th/5th round.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 11:25 AM   #1449
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Craig Button's updated list is out... Always looks a little little different. He has Catton at 15, Parekh and Buium as 3/4 and Silayev outside the top 10. Lowest I've seen M B-N ranked.

Would anyone be surprised if the flames stepped up to draft with Iggy jr and Catton on the board and took Helenius?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/craig-s-list-...rini-1.2096418

Last edited by Major Major; 03-28-2024 at 11:41 AM.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 11:34 AM   #1450
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Craig Button's updated list is out... Always looks a little little different. He has Catton at 15, Parekh and Buium as 3/4 and Silayev outside the top 10. Lowest I've seen M B-N ranked.

Would anyone be surprised if the flames stepped up to draft with Iggy jr and Catton on the board and took Helenius?

http://https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/craig-...rini-1.2096418
Dobber also had Buium and Parekh in the top 5. There seems to be a lot of varying opinions after Celebrini.

I also see a lot different lists having Demidov falling outside of the top 5. If he fell to the Flames, that would be crazy.

(Link not working for some reason at the moment)
Old 03-28-2024, 11:52 AM   #1451
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Button's list:

1 Celebrini
2 Demidov
3 Parekh
4 Buium
5 Levshunov
6 Dickinson
7 Helenius
8 Eiserman
9 Lindstrom
10 Iginla
11 Yakemchuk
12 Silayev
13 Greentee
14 Jiricek
15 Catton
16 Parascak
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 12:00 PM   #1452
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always love Craigs list because it shows who the flames may have higher than others. Wouldnt be surprised to see Buium Helenius and Iginla a bit higher than other teams
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:04 PM   #1453
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Button said he could rank any of the players on his list from 3 through 12 or 13 at #3.
Basically interchangeable
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 12:06 PM   #1454
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Catton or Iginla or Iginla or Catton or Iginla or Catton or Iginla or Catton
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:08 PM   #1455
Bingo Jr.
Bingo's Official Offspring
Yes My Dad Knows I'm Here

Exp:

Gut feeling: Catton doesn't make it past the Habs
Bingo Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 12:14 PM   #1456
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I always love Craigs list because it shows who the flames may have higher than others. Wouldnt be surprised to see Buium Helenius and Iginla a bit higher than other teams
It really doesn't. I've seen people make that claim before but last year's draft pretty much completely refutes that. He had Honzek 21st, Pellikka 5th, and Barlow 10th. Clearly very little similarity to the Flames' list.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:15 PM   #1457
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

He also likes Demidov better than Michkov which I thought was interesting.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:23 PM   #1458
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt Flames with the lottery to get Celebrini...

but kind of agree with Button's take here. Walking away with any of Demidov, Parekh, Buium, Levshunov, Dickinson, Helenius, Eiserman, Lindstrom, Catton or Iginla would be a big win as it's hard pressed to separate those guys.

And really Yakemchuk and Silayev are probably in that group too.

Lots of depth in the first round IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 12:31 PM   #1459
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Button and I have a very, very similar list. Except he doesn't have Tanner Howe in the top 2 rounds at all- which I think is crazy.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:32 PM   #1460
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would also put Buium ahead of Parekh but that's all a personal choice, Parekh's numbers probably have him ahead reasonably.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft