Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2023, 12:00 PM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that would explain why that have such interest in the arctic lately.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:44 PM   #42
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
China has been quite clear that they see the surrounding Asian territory as within their sphere of influence. They are in a massive expansionist phase, and their game plan is pretty simple, involving economic development.

If you go back to the 1800s and 1900s Russia and China were actively fighting over Siberia. China was pushed out of Siberia by a combined effort of Russia, the UK, France, the US, and Japan, through a series of treaties that China now refers to as the "Unequal Treaties". Even Mongolia was a part of China until they achieved independence solely via Soviet assistance.

With Russia unlikely to have the population to hold onto Siberia long term, many people are speculating that China will move in....first economically, then with its people, then politically.
What is their game plan?

At one moment I can be reading about how China's economy is going to implode because of an aging population and lack of working age people, and then I read how China is going to take over a region with a supposedly more severe problem of aging population as an economic benefit, when they have a good trading relationship and access to resources via trade anyways.

There's definitely a history of conflict there, and China has its own interests to take care of, but in terms of China making a play to take over Siberia or anything else east of the Urals I'm just seeing fringe speculation.

I can tell you I don't think I've ever heard anyone talking like that in China, and I've lived in the north near Siberia. I haven't read anything from the government or media that suggests this either. It's not how modern Chinese people look at Russia or Siberia in anything I've been exposed to, and while my knowledge can't be comprehensive I do read policy papers and strategy documents from China.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:54 PM   #43
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I'm willing to believe many bad things about the CCP, but the theory they are playing the long game to invade or subsume Siberia is nonsense. Make Russia a junior strategic partner? Sure, that makes sense. A deliberate plan to destroy Russia and plunder the corpse? No.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:13 PM   #44
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I'm willing to believe many bad things about the CCP, but the theory they are playing the long game to invade or subsume Siberia is nonsense. Make Russia a junior strategic partner? Sure, that makes sense. A deliberate plan to destroy Russia and plunder the corpse? No.
The CCP are certainly opportunists. No on is saying that Russia going to collapse overnight or that there are immediate plans to take over Siberia. China doesn't even really have to do that, as long as they can continue to plunder Siberia's resources and flood the area with Chinese citizens.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50185006
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:19 PM   #45
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With both China and Russia prime enemy being the US, they are unlikely to turn on each other as that would lead each to be in a weaker position in dealing with the us and europe
Old 03-14-2023, 01:20 PM   #46
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think it's too hard to assume that China would want to enjoy economic and cultural dominance over it's surrounding nations. Their whole playbook has been plagiarized from the US, who've basically mastered the art of dominating foreign nations in such a manner. Conquest isn't required once you figure out how to milk the cow for free.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:30 PM   #47
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I don't think it's too hard to assume that China would want to enjoy economic and cultural dominance over it's surrounding nations. Their whole playbook has been plagiarized from the US, who've basically mastered the art of dominating foreign nations in such a manner. Conquest isn't required once you figure out how to milk the cow for free.
I'm not sure the US invented that playbook. The strategy of using client states has likely been around as long as people have.

Once again, China is a long game nation. They don't need to invade anywhere. They can just let Russia continue to collapse while they continue to move their people and resources into the area over time.

Multiple regions in Eastern Russia already have a very heavy Chinese presence, and everyday the Russian population there dwindles. If you look at that link I provided, the Chinese already control the majority of the farms in the Jewish Oblast and the Khaborovsk Krai region:

There's nothing historically Russian about Siberia. The way Russia is trending, they simply don't have the resources to continue controlling Siberia much longer.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:57 PM   #48
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relevant

https://twitter.com/user/status/1635720201537716248
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:49 PM   #49
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure the US invented that playbook. The strategy of using client states has likely been around as long as people have.

Once again, China is a long game nation. They don't need to invade anywhere. They can just let Russia continue to collapse while they continue to move their people and resources into the area over time.

Multiple regions in Eastern Russia already have a very heavy Chinese presence, and everyday the Russian population there dwindles. If you look at that link I provided, the Chinese already control the majority of the farms in the Jewish Oblast and the Khaborovsk Krai region:

There's nothing historically Russian about Siberia. The way Russia is trending, they simply don't have the resources to continue controlling Siberia much longer.
They’ll probably end up selling Siberia to China like the Russian empire sold Alaska to the USA
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 12:56 AM   #50
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Nm, but this is nonsense
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #51
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

China's whole path into modernization has been driven by urban migration. Go visit the countryside of China and you will see it's full of farming villages where you only find the elderly and little kids. The middle generation is all missing as they moved to the cities, and nobody is left to do the farming. China has been sufficiently worried about not having enough people doing farming in their own rural areas that they've been advancing policies to motivate people to move back to their own countryside. Hardly seems like a situation that threatens an excess of Chinese farmers populating all of Siberia in some weird twist on replacement theory.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #52
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
China's whole path into modernization has been driven by urban migration. Go visit the countryside of China and you will see it's full of farming villages where you only find the elderly and little kids. The middle generation is all missing as they moved to the cities, and nobody is left to do the farming. China has been sufficiently worried about not having enough people doing farming in their own rural areas that they've been advancing policies to motivate people to move back to their own countryside. Hardly seems like a situation that threatens an excess of Chinese farmers populating all of Siberia in some weird twist on replacement theory.
The rural population of the entirety of Siberia is less than 10 million people, with many of these people not even being Russian. China has a total population of 1.4 billion with at least 500 million still in rural areas.

It would take a relatively small amount of migration to bring huge parts of Siberia under Chinese cultural and economic influence.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #53
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

You lost me at the stable part....With the exception of some of some of the Gulf States, every nation in the middle east is embroiled in conflict, collapsed, and/or on the verge of collapse.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 01:59 PM   #54
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The rural population of the entirety of Siberia is less than 10 million people, with many of these people not even being Russian. China has a total population of 1.4 billion with at least 500 million still in rural areas.

It would take a relatively small amount of migration to bring huge parts of Siberia under Chinese cultural and economic influence.
Can you point in the direction of any policy paper, speech, strategy paper, state media piece, opinion piece from a state-aligned organization or anything like that from the Chinese sphere that advocates for or supports the idea?

I mean, it's kind of interesting as a speculative idea, but unless there's something substantial grounding it I don't see how anyone could take it seriously as more than a fringe conspiracy theory, and a conspiracy theory that's maybe working in some 'ethnic replacement' kind of tropes that are always worth being careful around.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:46 PM   #55
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You lost me at the stable part....With the exception of some of some of the Gulf States, every nation in the middle east is embroiled in conflict, collapsed, and/or on the verge of collapse.
It's just more gas lighting by America, but hey, it clearly works on some.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:58 PM   #56
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much of that is due to the US though? I don't think they help - but its not a stable region.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:13 PM   #57
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
How much of that is due to the US though? I don't think they help - but its not a stable region.
I do agree somewhat. The US removing the elected government of Iran in the 1950s was a pretty big blow to stability.

The US also removed several dictators leading to anarchy. This one is more arguable, as life under dictators is stable, in the sense that they kill millions of their own people, which really isn't stability.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:41 AM   #58
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1636313903985577984

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:04 AM   #59
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
This is actually fantastic news if true and could save the lives of hundreds of thousands....although a country promising to halt shipments they never acknowledged making comes with its own set of issues.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:14 PM   #60
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

China sending lethal aid to Russia

At the same time China trying to invade Russia

Make it make sense