Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #41
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never really understood how some people can like THC effects so much that they want to do it non-stop. I think it's fun once in a while if I am planning to go to a concert or watch a good movie, but not for everyday activities. Same thing with alcohol for that matter. I can't drink 2 days in a row without feeling like trash.

I have overcome 2 addictions though. The first was cigarettes and the other was benzodiazepines. I still take benzodiazepines in moderation but I really need to be careful because I like them a little too much. The withdrawal was terrible though... aside from the physical effects, it was mentally anguishing. Ironically, I used marijuana medicinally to get over some of the withdrawal symptoms.

In general, I would say definitely do things to keep yourself occupied. For me, this meant long walks and doing house work. I shoveled the whole backyard one day...lol. But it helped for sure.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #42
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Good for you!

As you mentioned there will be tough times. One thing people do when they try to get rid of a habit is replace it with another habit. Very common tactic with smoking obviously. Unfortunately often people replace an unhealthy habit with another unhealthy habit. Pick a healthy habit (maybe a moderate workout or exercise, even 15-20 minutes) when you get a craving and it will help. Your brain will 'rewire' and associations will disappear. It'll suck in the beginning, but it will help both the speed of overcoming the addiction or habit of smoking pot, and your life in general.

Sorry if that was too preachy. Just wanted to help a little. Again, good for you man!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #43
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quick update. I haven't smoked a single puff since I created this thread! When I decided to quit I threw away my pipe, buster, papers, all of it to avoid any temptation and it definitely helps.

I've been going to the gym for about an hour a day and I've also decreased my food/soda intake by quite a bit. I used to drink about 3 cans a day because I loved the carbonation and taste associated with it because of dry mouth. I also don't eat like a monster at night anymore, in fact I'm usually quite full just off dinner.

Overall I feel okay, slept a bit better last night and the sweats are going away.

Thank you all once again for your support/advice it's definitely helping me power through.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #44
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Be careful not to overdo it in the gym, really easy to do. The body will tell you you're doing fine then all of a sudden you'll be sick and your entire body will ache if you don't rest and replenish.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #45
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Reaper; 09-22-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #46
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I never really understood how some people can like THC effects so much that they want to do it non-stop.
Quote:
I still take benzodiazepines in moderation but I really need to be careful because I like them a little too much.
Sounds like you understand perfectly fine. And as an ex-smoker, you should know full well how hard it is to break habits. Some people have a habit in smoking weed.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #47
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah that was a weird post from Flamesaddiction, lol. "I don't understand how people could be addicted to weed, anyways here's what I was addicted to."
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #48
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

How you doing today bluck? Hanging in there? We're pulling for ya!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #49
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Yeah that was a weird post from Flamesaddiction, lol. "I don't understand how people could be addicted to weed, anyways here's what I was addicted to."
People get addicted to all sorts of weird things. For example, people get addicted to shopping and I can say that even though I have experienced addiction, I can't understand how someone can be a shopping addict.

I guess behavioural addiction are what I don't understand. Chemical addictions are easier to understand for me.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #50
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
People get addicted to all sorts of weird things. For example, people get addicted to shopping and I can say that even though I have experienced addiction, I can't understand how someone can be a shopping addict.

I guess behavioural addiction are what I don't understand. Chemical addictions are easier to understand for me.
It could be behavioural addictions have a chemical component too. The behaviour creates pleasure reactions in the brain.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #51
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good Luck to you Mr. Bluck!

I find it refreshing to hear the admittance of 3+ users on this thread, saying it does indeed make you slow and lazy.

In B.C. they want to replace pain relievers with a 100 year history of effectiveness for this weed, which of course they say has a 20,000 year history of doing the same.

Really tired of it being praised as a wonder drug, look what it does to healthy people. If any of us get into chronic pain levels where Tylenol 3 isn't helping and weed can do anything to help - ok, go to it.

But for the 25 year old unmotivated human being that has little trouble getting to the food bank in the morning, filing his EI claim in the afternoon and says he has pain to relieve at night. good grief.
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Where ru Chris O'Sullivan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #52
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where ru Chris O'Sullivan View Post

I find it refreshing to hear the admittance of 3+ users on this thread, saying it does indeed make you slow and lazy.

In B.C. they want to replace pain relievers with a 100 year history of effectiveness for this weed, which of course they say has a 20,000 year history of doing the same.

Really tired of it being praised as a wonder drug, look what it does to healthy people. If any of us get into chronic pain levels where Tylenol 3 isn't helping and weed can do anything to help - ok, go to it.

But for the 25 year old unmotivated human being that has little trouble getting to the food bank in the morning, filing his EI claim in the afternoon and says he has pain to relieve at night. good grief.
It is in some ways a wonder drug. Has helped people with cancer, has cured children of debilitating development arresting seizures. It helps modulate brainwave activity for seizure plagued individuals.

Like most drugs it will react differently to each person and a wonder drug for one person can be a habit forming life destroyer for another. The wonder part is that people have had cancer, used hemp derivatives and been cured. Seems miraculous to me. Soldiers with post traumatic stress disorder have also been helped; same as glaucoma, sleeping disorders, nausea from chemotherapy treatment, tremors, ticks. Not many drugs can help with so many ailments and have so few side effects.

If the exact compounds that help each ailment can be concentrated it has potential to be one of the more amazing plants humans use. I think we are well aware of the downside; most people know a lazy, stupid, unmotivated annoying stoner that had potential and wasted it being obsessed with cannabis.

Last edited by AcGold; 12-07-2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #53
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Medical marijuana as the new herbalism, part 2: Cannabis does not cure cancer

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...t-cure-cancer/

In any event, the claims of advocates that “cannabis cures cancer” are nothing more than herbalism infused with the magical thinking of the naturalistic fallacy. Just because it’s “natural” does not make it better. In the case of cannabis for cancer, the only potentially promising way forward is to isolate the active components and figure out which of the hundreds of different cancers in which these components have activity against.

Last edited by troutman; 12-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #54
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where ru Chris O'Sullivan View Post

You're confusing medical use with recreational use, and also lumping responsible users in with irresponsible users. Not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic, not everyone that smokes weed is a lazy stoner.

Pain relieving medications are by no means better simply because they're legal or have been around for a while. They do have great short term benefits and uses, but tend to lead to physical dependence much quicker and harder than marijuana. They both have their uses though.

An unmotivated 25 year old (or any age, since it's irrelevant) that abuses any drug or EI will do so regardless of what drug they're on. They're unmotivated or shiftless for a variety of reasons and not just because they're on the weed.

A handful of habitual marijuana users here isn't an argument against its effectiveness for others.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #55
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

If marijuana was a new drug developed by a drug company, the people screaming about it's medical value now would be dead set against it. Addiction, psychosis, myriad of short term psychological disturbances, cancer, etc, etc. The last of side effects would be long. Yet, because it's herbal it's praised despite these problems.

Don't get me wrong, there's medicinal value, but it's wildly overstated and side effects vastly underestimated by the "pro-weed" crowd
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #56
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
How you doing today bluck? Hanging in there? We're pulling for ya!
Hey everyone, I'm not one to lie so I'm going to be honest and admit I had a couple puffs with some friends last night. I feel terrible today and am pretty disgusted with myself.

I still have not bought any nor will I. I think I just need to avoid those situations in the future. The problem is, ever since moving to Vancouver a couple months ago I don't have a lot of friends here and the ones I do pretty much smoke. Not an excuse but perhaps something I need to think about going forward.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #57
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
Hey everyone, I'm not one to lie so I'm going to be honest and admit I had a couple puffs with some friends last night. I feel terrible today and am pretty disgusted with myself.

I still have not bought any nor will I. I think I just need to avoid those situations in the future. The problem is, ever since moving to Vancouver a couple months ago I don't have a lot of friends here and the ones I do pretty much smoke. Not an excuse but perhaps something I need to think about going forward.
Worst thing you can do is beat yourself up over a slip, especially this early.

It is difficult to change lifestyle habits, wont happen overnight.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #58
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For any slip ups, guilt doesn't help. Use it as a learning experience. Knowing what you do now about last night, how can you use that information to avoid doing it again? Slip ups are almost necessary to learn how to quit. Respect the fact that slip ups are dangerous to your goal, but may actually be helpful in the end as you've gained insight

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 12-07-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Jesus I need to spell check more
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #59
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Medical marijuana as the new herbalism, part 2: Cannabis does not cure cancer

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...t-cure-cancer/

In any event, the claims of advocates that “cannabis cures cancer” are nothing more than herbalism infused with the magical thinking of the naturalistic fallacy. Just because it’s “natural” does not make it better. In the case of cannabis for cancer, the only potentially promising way forward is to isolate the active components and figure out which of the hundreds of different cancers in which these components have activity against.
I didn't say cannabis cured cancer, I said it's derivatives have. Not that it can, but that it has. No need to post such a thing as if you are correcting something I never said.

Last edited by AcGold; 12-07-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #60
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Unfortunate - but it happens. Better to use it as a stepping stone/learning lesson as others have said.

One thing to think about. The people you were with, do they know you were trying to quit? If yes.... Probably time to think harder about who you associate with. Harder done than said, but it's true. Successful people generally hang out with similarly successful people.

And for everyone else - maybe save the dope discussion for another thread? Not sure it's appropriate for a thread someone is using as a forum for quitting.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post: