Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #481
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lavant is a blow hard idiot but he made her look incredibly stupid and bad. Which is appropriate.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #482
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Nenshi is a year or two older than Anders and Smith, and wasn't part of that crew, actually. Levant was around from time to time, and he and Anders certainly knew each other back then, but I think he might be closer to Nenshi's vintage.
Since we're talking "actually", Smith is the oldest of the bunch, I think by a year. I think Nenshi finished high school early or he accelerated his first degree, but I'm positive he's born in 1972.

None of them ran in the "same crew" to use your words, unless you're talking about the campus groups.

Everyone "knew" Levant and Anders, because they were so loud. And Levant with his brick cell phone was a running joke at the time. He really stuck out.

Quote:
Having known all of these people it is pretty hard to take them seriously. Anders and Levant are cut from the same cloth: attention-seeking agents provocateur for whom politics and ideology are just the next logical phase of competitive debate: a game where the most epithets win, and sincere belief in any principle (whether left or right) is optional, if not actually a hindrance.
I went to UofC 1990-1994, in poli sci. Anders has always been the guy who is all about social conservatisim, to a fault. Levant is far more intelligent and his views are more nuanced.

Quote:
Anders and Levant never believed in anything, which is why neither of them is in any way relevant to real-life political discourse anymore. One is a forgotten and forgettable chapter in the annals of parliament and the other is a loathsome cartoon of himself, screaming into the wilderness from the sidelines of our politics hoping that someday, someone will listen.
I'm no fan of either, but they certainly hold strong beliefs.

Last edited by Kjesse; 12-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #483
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Since we're talking "actually", Smith is the oldest of the bunch, I think by a year. I think Nenshi finished high school early or he accelerated his first degree, but I'm positive he's born in 1972.

None of them ran in the "same crew" to use your words, unless you're talking about the campus groups.

Everyone "knew" Levant and Anders, because they were so loud. And Levant with his brick cell phone was a running joke at the time. He really stuck out.

I went to UofC 1990-1994, in poli sci. Anders has always been the guy who is all about social conservatisim, to a fault. Levant is far more intelligent and his views are more nuanced.

Sounds like you and I were both at U of C around the same time; we can certainly agree to disagree on the depth of their convictions, but I have had the distinct pleasure of knowing all of them quite well for a time.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #484
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm not necessarily a fan of Levant, because I think his style really rubs me the wrong way. But I will say that I believe that his research is very good, and he has a level of tenacity that is lacking at a lot of networks.

His work on the Spence stuff was pretty outstanding.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #485
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Yup, according to wiki, he was born February 2, 1972

Also, he earned a Masters at Harvard??
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #486
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
Yup, according to wiki, he was born February 2, 1972

Also, he earned a Masters at Harvard??
Kennedy School of Government, I'm not sure what his masters' was specialized in.

He wrote the LSAT at least three times, the third time was, I think, because the exams from his second writing were lost in the mail.

He is one smart cookie. He, I, (current Chief of Staff) Chima, and another now-Blakes partner walked out of the LSAT exam together. I felt shell-shocked, the other two were quiet, and Nenshi was explaining which question he thought he got wrong and why. I'll never forget it because his recall of the exam questions were spot on. IIRC, he did only get one question wrong on the exam. Then he proved smarter than everyone by not going to law school .

Last edited by Kjesse; 12-22-2014 at 07:41 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #487
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Preston Manning has come out with a apology for his part in the floor crossings saying he gave bad advice.

Quote:
Manning, the former leader of the Reform Party, said he should have advised the floor-crossing MLAs to consult with the party grassroots before making any decisions about the future.

When Manning was involved in the "unite the right" movement at the federal level, the merger that eventually created the Conservative Party included a long process of consultation and a vote by party members.

"My failure to strongly recommend a similar process to the Wildrose caucus was a mistake on my part," Manning said in a statement.

"It was a disservice to those who sought my counsel and to those who have placed their trust in my commitment to democracy - a mistake for which I now sincerely apologize to all concerned."
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...23-074206.html
Old 12-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #488
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Got a robo call last night in my Highwood riding where voters were asked for their opinion of Danielle Smith, the offcial opposition leader, crossing the floor to the Alberta PC's. If you agreed with it you were asked to press 1 and if you didn't you pressed 2. Most that i've talked to in the past few days have pressed 2.

I suspect Smith is polling to determine where she goes in the new year. It could be that if the no votes are high enough she might just retire from politics.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #489
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nice of Manning to fall on his sword to try and help take pressure off Smith.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #490
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Got a robo call last night in my Highwood riding where voters were asked for their opinion of Danielle Smith, the offcial opposition leader, crossing the floor to the Alberta PC's. If you agreed with it you were asked to press 1 and if you didn't you pressed 2. Most that i've talked to in the past few days have pressed 2.

I suspect Smith is polling to determine where she goes in the new year. It could be that if the no votes are high enough she might just retire from politics.
With those kinds of polls you never know where they come from, even if they declare to come from somewhere. I wonder....

This has been said so many times already on twitter and the tv news and the various radio talk shows, but it is so important:

As leader, Smith owed a duty to the 450K Albertans for whom she carved out a reason why to vote for WR and not vote PC, that even if her own personal issues caused her to want to abandon the party, she needed to not take a course of action that would immediately shift the result of those votes to, what her voters already demonstrated they did not want. She caused 9 ridings to go PC without a single vote being cast, because, weak.

At most she could have resigned and sat as an independant. That would be repsectable, even, given some of the backwards social elements the WR has within (and as do the PC's... see Bill 10).

She should never again be voted into public office. She is devoid of principle. High River, its your call.

Last edited by Kjesse; 12-23-2014 at 06:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #491
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I suspect Smith is polling to determine where she goes in the new year.
I believe most of her former supporters will suggest that she go to hell.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #492
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
With those kinds of polls you never know where they come from, even if they declare to come from somewhere. I wonder....

This has been said so many times already on twitter and the tv news and the various radio talk shows, but it is so important:

As leader, Smith owed a duty to the 450K Albertans for whom she carved out a reason why to vote for WR and not vote PC, that even if her own personal issues caused her to want to abandon the party, she needed to not take a course of action that would immediately shift the result of those votes to, what her voters already demonstrated they did not want. She caused 9 ridings to go PC without a single vote being cast, because, weak.

At most she could have resigned and sat as an independant. That would be repsectable, even, given some of the backwards social elements the WR has within (and as do the PC's... see Bill 10).

She should never again be voted into public office. She is devoid of principle. High River, its your call.
I'm hearing much the same thing from people I know in High River and it's pretty much my view of Smith also. She did it for personal gain and all her excuses are just BS. She can take her fake cardboard smile and shove it where the sun don't shine.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #493
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yeah, it doesn't look good no matter which 'side' your on. Though I suspect she knew there would be significant backlash. The thing is, with the way the voters are, and they way the PC's do anyway, will it really matter?

Also, I don't get this whole 'unite the right' argument. Does the left have any chance anyway, even if both parties were strong?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:13 AM   #494
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Highwood PCs to hold open nomination race

Quote:
The Highwood Progressive Conservative Association announced Monday it will go ahead with a full, open nomination process in the new year to select the party's candidate in the constituency.

“We want a democratic process to take place, which would respect the voters of Highwood,” said Suzanne Oel, president of the Highwood PC association.
Quote:
She said the Highwood PC board hasn't received any direction from provincial PC officials regarding the nomination process. The board had already begun work on finding a potential candidate before Smith announced she was crossing the floor.

“Our understanding is that we are able to make our decision in our own constituencies about when that would take place,” she said.
Quote:
Smith said she is prepared to go through an open nomination to become the PC candidate.

“Yes, I intend to seek the nomination in Highwood,” she said.

She said she hopes to meet with the Highwood board in the New Year to discuss the nomination process.
http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...omination-race
Old 12-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #495
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Preston Manning has come out with a apology for his part in the floor crossings saying he gave bad advice.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...23-074206.html

Nice to see Manning eat crow after his smug boasting of his role in this
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #496
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hey Dion, what are the chances Smith loses in high river?

It's looking more and more like the only person who is supporting this defection is Danielle herself. Could be a career ending move.
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #497
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect there has already been a phone call to the High River PC folks suggesting that discretion is the better part of valour here. It's the PC way.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #498
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been sitting here contemplating the the idea Prentice is pulling quite a coup with this. Let her cross the way she did, destroy her "career" whilst doing so, then while it's still somewhat fresh in people's minds, and they're still angry, calling a snap election. She gets booted, no other party will take her, the public won't want her back in any capacity and she's done and out of his hair with Prentice having to barely lift a finger to oust her. It would be brilliant to watch unfold. Wonder if the same would happen to the others that crossed...
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #499
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
Hey Dion, what are the chances Smith loses in high river?

It's looking more and more like the only person who is supporting this defection is Danielle herself. Could be a career ending move.
She's done as a politician.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #500
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I've been sitting here contemplating the the idea Prentice is pulling quite a coup with this. Let her cross the way she did, destroy her "career" whilst doing so, then while it's still somewhat fresh in people's minds, and they're still angry, calling a snap election. She gets booted, no other party will take her, the public won't want her back in any capacity and she's done and out of his hair with Prentice having to barely lift a finger to oust her. It would be brilliant to watch unfold. Wonder if the same would happen to the others that crossed...