Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #41
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea and never believe someone that says they have the fool proof method because nothing works the same for two people.

Just try out what you want to try out and see if it works for you, if not try something else. A lot of people swear by fasting work out sessions, you basically eat nothing in the morning then work out, I can't do it. I run out of energy, get fatigued, if I just have some egg whites and porridge its a night and day difference. To each their own.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #42
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
Except that I lost 160 pounds from endurance cardio, including swimming and running. "Essentially nothing" has changed my life.

I'm not downplaying HIIT and I am doing weight training. I'm just stating that nothing is so black and white in the fitness/health game.
every situation is different... but the data is pretty convincing.

also, I wouldn't put swimming into the same category as standing on a treadmill going the same pace for 30 min at a time.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #43
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
First I read you're supposed to eat every 3 hours to boost your metabolism, now intermittent fasting seems to be a thing now... So much conflicting info...
yeah...that was a thing and now it's not. the study I read related it back to our days as hunter gathers and the premise that we haven't had time to evolve beyond our basic metabolic programming....and that programming includes intermittent fasts.

I cna't speak for everyone but it works for me, I had a few pounds sitting right around my belly button that refused to leave, intermittent fasting got rid of it and it hasn't come back.

I could see eating like (6 - 8 meals/day) that if you are really trying to pack on muscle, but you'd have to be really specific...certain %'s at certain times of the day, pre/post exercise, etc, etc...

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #44
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

In a thread like this and the title not being "do you even lift, bro?" Is highly unacceptable.
alan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #45
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Except that I lost 160 pounds from endurance cardio, including swimming and running. "Essentially nothing" has changed my life.

I'm not downplaying HIIT and I am doing weight training. I'm just stating that nothing is so black and white in the fitness/health game.
Seconded. Lost 70 pounds in a year just by running every day and eating better.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #46
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
every situation is different... but the data is pretty convincing.

also, I wouldn't put swimming into the same category as standing on a treadmill going the same pace for 30 min at a time.
What data? No matter if your body gets used to it, it doesn't cross some magic threshold where it no longer burns calories if you're running at the same pace you usually do. It may not be best for increasing your performance, but for someone looking to lose weight it's absolutely still effective.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #47
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are my 2 cents-

If you are losing weight and seeing results by simply "eating better" and exercising, then great. However, if you are not seeing results despite efforts such as eliminating junk food and eating smaller portions, then the solution imo is to start precisely counting calories in and calories out (in conjunction with macronutrients). Regardless of how healthy ones diet may seemingly be, weight loss comes from a caloric deficit. Putting aside the endless number of times people cite hormonal issues for their inability to lose weight, there is a daily caloric set point for each individual, and finding out what yours is, and being in a deficit of that number, is the key.

And here is the part that may get some disagreements- fat loss, muscle gain, and weight loss are typically misunderstood. Generally speaking, weight loss (especially when we are talking about substantial weight loss) means losing fat and losing muscle. The goal of a high protein diet, that incorporates a regular weight lifting routine, is to minimize muscle loss as much as possible. If you are not losing weight, it is probably not because you are gaining muscle and losing fat. You hear it many times around the gym- "I'm not losing weight, but that is probably because I am gaining muscle and losing fat, cancelling each other out". Although this would be a terrific scenario, it simply doesn't happen as much as we would like. Good article on this- http://www.builtlean.com/2011/08/04/...the-same-time/

In my opinion, a caloric deficit of 500 calories a day is a very reasonable goal. The trick is finding out what ones BMR is (plus exercise considerations). The next step is to properly measure caloric intake- which is where most people make their mistake. Many people underestimate the number of calories they are taking in. A food scale is a very good tool for measure correct servings.

Macronutrient percentages are debated over and over, but I find the calculators on iifym.com to a very good guide- as well as the BMR calculators.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-11-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:13 AM   #48
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
If you cut out high calorie drinks like beer and dark hard stuff.

Vodka and water/soda water is the best low calorie option.
What? There's no difference between vodka/whiskey/rum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livestrong
You’ll get about the same amount of calories from either straight whiskey or vodka. It really depends on the concentration of alcohol that's in your liquor. You'll also see proof listed on the label, which is a number that is double the alcohol percentage. But it all comes down to the grams of alcohol to calculate calories. All alcohol has 7 calories per gram. So the more grams of alcohol that are in your liquor, the higher the alcohol percentage, the higher the proof and the more calories you’ll get.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #49
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
What? There's no difference between vodka/whiskey/rum.

Thanks, I will admit that portion of the post was from memory. That being said it is wise to pay attention to what you drink when it comes to alcohol.

This is a good website:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Quote:
The bottom line is this: if you're trying to lose weight, you don't need to stop drinking, you just need to drink strategically and pay attention to what you're putting into your body. Here at Get Drunk Not Fat, we're committed to helping you get drunk and look good while doing it

The part of my post that is still true is drink water, lots and lots of water.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #50
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Yea and never believe someone that says they have the fool proof method because nothing works the same for two people.

Just try out what you want to try out and see if it works for you, if not try something else. A lot of people swear by fasting work out sessions, you basically eat nothing in the morning then work out, I can't do it. I run out of energy, get fatigued, if I just have some egg whites and porridge its a night and day difference. To each their own.
Have you ever tried eating larger meals consistently before bed to restore you glycogen levels and then a high fat snack in the morning to prepare for a cycle of morning fasts?

Check these articles out:

http://showmestrength.com/nutritiona...-pat-davidson/

http://showmestrength.com/two-weeks-...riment-part-1/
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #51
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, I will admit that portion of the post was from memory. That being said it is wise to pay attention to what you drink when it comes to alcohol.

This is a good website:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

The part of my post that is still true is drink water, lots and lots of water.
Idk, fueling your body with poison and expecting it to perform seems counterintuitive to me.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Idk, fueling your body with poison and expecting it to perform seems counterintuitive to me.

Your attitude seens defeatist.......
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #53
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I've been working out for 4 months, 3 times a week. I notice a difference but I don't think any one would notice. It's not huge. My arms and chest look stronger to me.

Should there be a huge difference in 4 months?

Basically for the last 7 years I have done very little exercise on a regular basis. When I go to the gym my routine is similar to the OP. I do almost every machine in there. The thing is I'm 183 cm, 70 kg but my core is really soft. I'm skinny-fat, so don't know if I should do cardio because my face already looks quite thin.

Any advice?
I hope this isn't too long winded...

The answer is relative to your goals. Any form of exercise that burns calories is going to contribute to a caloric deficit, but your workouts and diet need to be very strategic if you want to see the best results with regards to leaning out and muscle toning.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it can be very difficult to lose fat while simultaneously gaining heaps of muscle. That said, people that lose a large amount of body fat will look more muscular and ripped, not because they have gained a large amount of muscle mass, but simply because the loss of fat has revealed all of the muscle that has naturally been there all along. A carefully structured diet and workout plan will help someone minimize muscle loss while still losing weight.

There are 3 approaches that many people take when it comes to fitness and nutrition- bulking, cutting, and maintaining. Imo, most beginners that are starting overweight and looking to achieve a more ripped/muscular look should start on a cutting plan. This typically means a high protein/moderate carb diet that ultimately leads to a daily caloric deficit. A regular cardiovascular and weight training routine that contributes to a caloric deficit and tones existing muscle is obviously vital to this approach. The Arnold workout plan of hitting one muscle group per workout is still the most popular approach, but full body workouts that focus on fundamental compound exercises is becoming increasingly popular. Regardless of which method one follows, leaning out to achieve a more muscular and toned look will only occur with weight loss. The high protein/moderate carb diet aims to minimize muscle loss while maximizing fat loss. Regardless, discovering your own personal BMR is critical to this approach, as it will you allow to know what your caloric deficit numbers, and macronutient levels, should be. A big discussion in itself.

The bulking approach to fitness is the plan people take on when they are looking to gain muscle mass. Imo, it doesn't make sense for one to start this approach unless they are already very lean. Whether one likes it or not, bulking means gaining weight in the form of fat and muscle- a high protein/high carb diet that leads to a caloric surplus. Once an individual has made the appropriate muscle gains, they typically follow it up with a strict cutting plan that looks to considerably decrease body fat while minimizing muscle loss (for an overall net gain of muscle). The weight lifting and cardio routine is typically quite different in a cutting vs bulking approach, but that is also another big discussion.

Imo, it doesn't make much sense for overweight beginners to start with a bulking or maintenance approach. Certainly naturally skinny individuals that are already in the single digit body fat percentages can begin with bulking, but the majority of individuals starting at the gym are immediately looking to lose weight and decrease body fat. Many big and muscular gym goers are constantly in a state of bulking, which is why they look quite muscular, but puffy at the same time.

Anyway, as much as the scale is frowned upon by individuals, I believe it is still the best tool for measuring results. If you aren't losing or gaining relative to your goals, your body is likely not changing much- or it is changing very slowly. I really think the ability to lose fat while gain muscle is a very rare occurrence and people should pick cutting or bulking plan to fit their goals- with the knowledge of course that one usually follows the other. Maintaining kind of speaks for itself, but still follows a specific workout and diet plan.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-15-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #54
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I've been working out for 4 months, 3 times a week. I notice a difference but I don't think any one would notice. It's not huge. My arms and chest look stronger to me.

Should there be a huge difference in 4 months?

Basically for the last 7 years I have done very little exercise on a regular basis. When I go to the gym my routine is similar to the OP. I do almost every machine in there. The thing is I'm 183 cm, 70 kg but my core is really soft. I'm skinny-fat, so don't know if I should do cardio because my face already looks quite thin.

Any advice?
I'm not a big fan of machine work. They tend to not allow your body to move the way it was designed.

The elliptical as an example is not a natural way to move, so I have no idea why people would want to use it for cardio. Use the bike, treadmill or rowing machine instead.

If you want to build muscle you need to lift free weights with compound lits like the deadlift, squat and bench press. You should get training on technique for all 3.

High intensity interval training or HIIT is a great fat burner and can help build muscle/power if done properly. It is a process though, so don't sit on the bike and try to go all out for 30-45 seconds like the recommendations. Ease into it.

For the deadlift I would highly recommend using the trap bar. It is much safer than a barbell deadlift, and easier to learn. Start with light weights and work on technique. If you can't find a trainer, take videos and post on the thousands of websites out there that help people figure out their fitness goals. Reddit has a great community dedicated to this.

For the squat, I would highly recommend starting with body weight squats. Again, work on technique and increasing your mobility and range of motion in the hips/groin area. There are thousands of videos on YouTube and else where that give points on how to squat properly. Once you are comfortable with the body weight squat, get an Olympic bar(45 lbs), and start practicing with it. Technique, technique, technique. I ran Madcow last summer and got to a 405lb squat. Technique was so/so. I hit all my goals but ended up pulling a groin muscle and it has taken a full year to heal properly. Now I've started to squat again, and I do a LOT of body weight and olympic bar with no weights on it squatting.

I don't bench press personally, as I like the military or push press a lot more, but again, do research on how to do the lift properly. If you're going to bench, I would highly recommend finding a lift like the barbell row where you can 'pull' the bar to offset the 'pushing' you do with the bench. This helps from creating instability issues with your shoulders. There are a variety of other ways to work the upper body too. Any kind of press, pushups(thousands of ways to do these), pullups, kettlebell work, etc, etc. One doesn't necessarily have to bench in order to have a strong upper body.

Diet is also key. Learning what to eat and what not to eat is a process that you have to work at. Spend time researching online communities like reddit, bodybuilding dot com, John Stone Fitness Forums, Crossfit Forums, etc, etc. They all have great stickies for beginners that are loaded with great information. Diet will be the difference in losing weight/gaining weight. The best workout plan in the world won't help you gain muscle or lose fat if you're not eating right.

Make it a lifestyle choice.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #55
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The elliptical as an example is not a natural way to move, so I have no idea why people would want to use it for cardio. Use the bike, treadmill or rowing machine instead.

Because it is easy, at least that is my opinion.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #56
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

Low intensity cardio will still burn calories. HIIT just does it more efficiently and isn't quite as boring. Most people find long cardio sessions extremely boring.

HIIT is hard at first, but a lot of fun once you get into it.

Not everyone has the patience you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #57
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
First I read you're supposed to eat every 3 hours to boost your metabolism, now intermittent fasting seems to be a thing now... So much conflicting info...
There is a lot of research being done lately that says eating every 3 hours isn't actually the best option.

Insulin sensitivity is a big thing, and your body seems to react better with longer time periods between meals.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #58
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Because it is easy, at least that is my opinion.
Easy compared to what? It is easy compared to running, but running on a treadmill is boring too. I get that people think its easier on their joints and it might be, but its still a very unnatural movement.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #59
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Easy compared to what? It is easy compared to running, but running on a treadmill is boring too. I get that people think its easier on their joints and it might be, but its still a very unnatural movement.

Easier compared to running on the road.

Easier as in they have to work less, but still feel good about themselves.

My answer was to you saying you have no idea why people want to use it for cardio. My answer is it is easy, not hard to do. People like things that are easy.

I can't stand running on a treadmill, even in the winter I will run outside.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #60
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Personally I would never recommend long distance running as a form of cardio or training to anyone outside of someone who does long distance running for a living.

It breaks down your body and eats up your muscle as a fuel source. Not worth it for most people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post: