Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #61
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I can handle that.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #62
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the time commitment like? I've always been interested in CPHL (mostly to make up cheesey trade headlines). 6-10 hours a week shouldn't be an issue all in all, but being on shift work it's tough to make a daily commitment. Would that be an issue?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #63
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
What's the time commitment like? I've always been interested in CPHL (mostly to make up cheesey trade headlines). 6-10 hours a week shouldn't be an issue all in all, but being on shift work it's tough to make a daily commitment. Would that be an issue?
Our schedule mirrors the actual NHL schedule (but the days are off). It only takes a couple minutes to edit/submit lines.

It's not that difficult to do the day to day stuff. How busy you'll be in the trade market depends on two things, how bad your team is and how much time you have. My team for the first time in a long time isn't bad so I don't really want to mess with the chemistry too much, but in years past, I was making tons of trades to try and improve my team, it's really the only way.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #64
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Six to ten hours a week is plenty IMO. Sometimes you spend more time and sometimes less. If you can come up with a cheesy headline in a minute though, it'll be less!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #65
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest issue is to ensure you get your lines in when your team plays...usually the night before.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #66
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
The biggest issue is to ensure you get your lines in when your team plays...usually the night before.
And I think its important to say that takes just a few minutes for the most part. Maybe some tinkering and changes, but not more than about 5 minutes for the most part.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #67
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And I think its important to say that takes just a few minutes for the most part. Maybe some tinkering and changes, but not more than about 5 minutes for the most part.
And yet a lot of GMs struggle with that. If folks are concerned they don't have enough time - they probably don't. We have seen numerous GMs promise to put the time into the league, and a lot of them fail to deliver.
So think hard about whether you want to have a task that you commit to nearly daily (sending in lines) or if you would find that tiresome over time.
We want people who are going to commit and play the game.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #68
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Plus you have to put in the extra time to thank all of my posts and vote me and my players in the Player of the Week awards.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 AM   #69
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking to fill a GM spot

Heres the reggie form again for anyone interested.

http://cphl.calgarypuck.com/pages/registration2.htm
Old 05-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #70
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

End of our season and we have a couple of teams that require GMs.
Both teams are playoff teams and wont require significant effort.
We have the draft coming up, UFAs and RFAs and of course trading to make your team better.
If you've thought about joining and have some spare time, drop me a PM and we can get you in.

Heres the reggie form again for anyone interested.

http://cphl.calgarypuck.com/pages/registration2.htm __________________
Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #71
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple really good rosters up for grabs. do it!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #72
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always been interested in joining CPHL. I am in a sim league over at CDC and I am one of the more active GM's over there. I guess if you are mirroring the NHL there won't be much in the way of activity the next month or so?

Just asking cuz we are in the process of moving and won't have a lot of time until July.

Also another thing that is holding me back is you guys run things a lot different then how the league I am in does.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #73
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

This is actually the busiest time of year... lots of trades, teams needing to get under the cap, draft process, etc.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #74
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just wondering, is there a website that handles all of this?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #75
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Just wondering, is there a website that handles all of this?
There is a forum here for most of the news/trades/games and then from there a link to cphl.calgarypuck.com where the rosters and everything else are.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #76
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

As one of the newer GM's, I can vouch that this is super fun and very addicting.
It's taught me a lot about the back end of hockey I knew little about.
The guys on there are super helpful too, and always available to help with advice.

I took on a fairly weak roster'd team to be honest. These teams up for grabs are sweet though. If you've ever wanted to join, it's a great chance!!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #77
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely thinking about it! How time consuming is it though, I tend to have a busy schedule so I don't know if I would have enough time to take a spot.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #78
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is some info on expected activity level:

The following are considered mandatory duties for all GMs, which failure to complete could result in termination:
· Sending in lines for ALL of your games. No exceptions.
· Maintaining your CPHL/AHL roster according to salary cap and roster restriction rules
· Responding to any inquiry from a fellow GM or the league within 24 hours
· Checking the CPHL forum on calgarypuck DAILY
· Active participation on the league forum
· Other participation activities may include, posting reports on the message board, voting on the various issues and events throughout the year and reading your email and posts from other GMs. Sometimes, we will ask for your opinions on specific issues in the league. We look forward to using your opinion in our decision making process. Our posts and emails are written for you and contain information which we feel will help you depending on the current time of year and what is going on at that time.
· Maintaining your trade block
· Maintaining team Injury Reserve (Placing all injured on IR and activating them when they are usable in the simulator once again)
· Notifying the league if you are going to be absent for longer than 1 day, and finding a fellow GM to submit your lines in your absence. (We don't need to know the reasons...but we do need to know that you will not be around as much. If you simply vanish on us - we will have no choice but to assign the team to another GM)
· Above all else GMs should also treat each other with respect. Friendly banter and ribbing is part of the game but personal attacks, name-calling and fighting will not be tolerated. This is a game to be enjoyed. If you do not play the game the way it is intended, then you should not be a part of the game.

http://cphl.calgarypuck.com/joomla15...d=65&Itemid=97
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #79
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I decided to send in an application. I always can find an hour or 2 a day to be active.

You guys use the STHS client right?

How does it work when you say set your lines everyday? What if you're happy with the way your lines are? In my other league I would only change my lines if chemistry wasn't working or injuries.

Last edited by Hockey; 05-07-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #80
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I have always been interested in joining CPHL. I am in a sim league over at CDC and I am one of the more active GM's over there. I guess if you are mirroring the NHL there won't be much in the way of activity the next month or so?

Just asking cuz we are in the process of moving and won't have a lot of time until July.

Also another thing that is holding me back is you guys run things a lot different then how the league I am in does.
Would be interested in your observations on what we do v. the other league you are in. I know we have some unique rules - some that we've seen other leagues adopt that originated in the CPHL - but I'd be interested in hearing what you like/dislike about the league you are in. Always room to get better.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote