Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've often had this conversation with people concerning drivers in Calgary, and yes, I honestly believe Calgary has some of the worst drivers in the country, but its hardly the fault of the city in any way.

Grab 100 random people off the street and see how many of them were born and raised here. You'd be lucky to get 25. Find out where they learned to drive and that number might even be lower.

So yeah, the drivers in Calgary may suck but thats primarily because they sucked somewhere else first and we've just accumulated them all in one spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflames_12.5 View Post
One of the guys on this season was pilot. How can one fly a plane but not drive a car? I bet the producers are hunting down Calgary's worst driver.
You ever try hitting anything with a plane? Its remarkably difficult and if you do manage it you rarely get a second opportunity.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #22
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

It absolutely baffles me why the drivers here are so bad. Incompetent idiots that dawdle when taking off at a light, nobody signals when it makes a world of difference to the guy sitting there waiting to turn in front of the non signaller, dickheads that go under the speed limit in the left lane and then get all uppity when I pass them on the right, people that speed through playground zones and then go 40 the rest of the road, a-holes that pull into parking stalls all crooked and f up the stall next to them by encroaching the line, god damn, I could go on and on.

F'n strugglers. And a-holes. And oblivious people that can't even check their mirrors once in awhile. Just because you DGAF when you arrive at wherever you're going, doesn't mean that I should be ok with spending an extra 20-40 minutes per day looking at your dirty ass minivan. I put ~200km per day on my truck, so I drive with purpose. I don't expect you to speed, but I do expect you to get the F out of my way if you're on a Sunday drive. I'm not late, but I do want to be there sooner than later, so either pay attention and fricken drive, or get the F out of my way.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #23
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^People that drive with no sense or urgency really drive me insane. I don't mean speeding, but does it really need to take 15-20 seconds to get up to speed from a light? GO!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #24
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
^People that drive with no sense or urgency really drive me insane. I don't mean speeding, but does it really need to take 15-20 seconds to get up to speed from a light? GO!
It's because of those stupid reports that say accelerating too fast from a stop is bad for your car and fuel economy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #25
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It's because of those stupid reports that say accelerating too fast from a stop is bad for your car and fuel economy.
It is a fact tho. Even on my electric HD sportster I have the same problem with pulling 3 times the amps then slowly accelerating.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #26
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In B.C ( don't know about AB) Its actually law you can't goto a certain speed until you get through an intersection after a red light.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #27
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
It is a fact tho. Even on my electric HD sportster I have the same problem with pulling 3 times the amps then slowly accelerating.
I don't disagree that it's true. I believe it's true. I just think everybody is applying it to the extreme. I am not talking about gunning it and burning rubber as soon as the light goes green, but giving it a moderate amount of gas to get going and not be the traffic bottleneck wouldn't kill somebody to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #28
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's absolutely true, but people take it to such an extreme. Cars are designed to be driven normally. Don't hammer it, but going abnormally slow is just stupid.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 01:02 AM   #29
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree that it's true. I believe it's true. I just think everybody is applying it to the extreme. I am not talking about gunning it and burning rubber as soon as the light goes green, but giving it a moderate amount of gas to get going and not be the traffic bottleneck wouldn't kill somebody to do.
Quote:
It's absolutely true, but people take it to such an extreme. Cars are designed to be driven normally. Don't hammer it, but going abnormally slow is just stupid.
I personally don't have a problem with people going slow off at lights at intersections. This makes sense at intersections. There the highest rate of accidents , especially if they have advanced left turn signals. If there is an intersection that has a left lane option( advance or not ) I will slow down from 50 km/hr to around 45 km/hr give or take. I have had to many close calls with people trimg to squeeze there turns before I get past them. Off a red I see to many people that think yellow lights are the same as green on advanced turns . They speed to mmake it before that light is red and a few even go while it is red.

To summarize I feel Its a safety factor why people are slow off red lights. A lot of people are scared of accidents in the first place. Couple that in with the intersection as the highest rates of incidents. That is the components that make up what you are seeing in drivers.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-21-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:55 AM   #30
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
To summarize I feel Its a safety factor why people are slow off red lights. A lot of people are scared of accidents in the first place. Couple that in with the intersection as the highest rates of incidents. That is the components that make up what you are seeing in drivers.
I get what you're saying about why people are slow off of lights, but the same thing can be accomplished by paying attention and making sure no one is blowing through a red light.

WGMG about intersections is not necessarily how slow people accelerate from a light, but how slow many are to reacting to the light. Seriously, it shouldn't take 5 seconds for you to realize the light has changed.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #31
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I found in Calgary was when I had a lane choice at a light of getting behind a cement truck or a private vehicle, the cement truck usually got through the intersection first. You can say you're saving fuel all you want but that's ridiculous.

It would get more frustrating caught behind some dawdler on a street and time when the lights were co-ordinated to give a green light if you just kept up a steady speed of say 40ks but these jerks couldn't even make it through one light. I'm not a particularly fast or aggressive driver, probably average but there are some drivers who don't have a clue.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #32
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

The ironic part to me is always that if the strugglers just went more aggressive against their instincts, it'd make their lives a lot easier.

Merging onto deerfoot going 100 is so much easier and less scary than merging at 60. Yet the strugglers fail to accelerate and makes life harrowing for not only themselves, but everyone behind them.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #33
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I get what you're saying about why people are slow off of lights, but the same thing can be accomplished by paying attention and making sure no one is blowing through a red light.

WGMG about intersections is not necessarily how slow people accelerate from a light, but how slow many are to reacting to the light. Seriously, it shouldn't take 5 seconds for you to realize the light has changed.
5 seconds: The time it takes to hit Send on your text before proceeding through the intersection...
Old 12-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #34
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
It absolutely baffles me why the drivers here are so bad. Incompetent idiots that dawdle when taking off at a light, nobody signals when it makes a world of difference to the guy sitting there waiting to turn in front of the non signaller, dickheads that go under the speed limit in the left lane and then get all uppity when I pass them on the right, people that speed through playground zones and then go 40 the rest of the road, a-holes that pull into parking stalls all crooked and f up the stall next to them by encroaching the line, god damn, I could go on and on.

F'n strugglers. And a-holes. And oblivious people that can't even check their mirrors once in awhile. Just because you DGAF when you arrive at wherever you're going, doesn't mean that I should be ok with spending an extra 20-40 minutes per day looking at your dirty ass minivan. I put ~200km per day on my truck, so I drive with purpose. I don't expect you to speed, but I do expect you to get the F out of my way if you're on a Sunday drive. I'm not late, but I do want to be there sooner than later, so either pay attention and fricken drive, or get the F out of my way.
Thanks X 1000. I just don't get how every single day I can encounter driving like this that makes me want to punch people in the face.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #35
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post

How often does this happen? I mean, with the exception of people trying to make a left-turn and having to wait for opposing traffic to actually come to a stop. I would be surprised if the stats were high for people getting t-boned at intersections by somebody triyng to beat a red light. It just seems like there is such a long delay between the light turning red and then green for the other traffic that you wouldn't see that many incidents. Just anecdotally I haven't seen anybody run a red light at an intersection when other traffic has the green light.

I used to find the most frustrating traffic behaviour was (although recently I found out here that changing lanes in an intersection isn't against the law) people who wouldn't make a turn onto a road until every lane was clear, instead of just turning immediately into the right lane and then moving over when they got up to speed. Sometimes people do it because they want to cross 2 lanes at once and get into a turning lane. That might be the city's fault for having turns so close to each other that (eg. Market Mall parking lot exit onto 40th Ave and then to NB Shaganappi).
Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #36
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
How often does this happen?
It happens all the time. A quick Google search will show you a bunch of videos like this one.

I've seen it so many times, and I even got hit once by a guy running a red light at 4th St and 14th Ave. It's pretty damn scary.

On another note, here's a video of a Lamborghini Murcielago crashing. Now, he made a stupid move, but it wouldn't have happened if those idiots (including the vehicle filming) weren't in the left lane.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #37
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How often does this happen?
A lot. There are a lot of people out there who can't judge a light, or run it becuase there's no traffic and they have "waited long enough", etc.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know man. That guy in the Lamborghini is full marks for crashing as he's simply a bad driver and you can't expect 95% of traffic to stay in one lane so a small handful of speedsters can have a nice straight road.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I personally don't have a problem with people going slow off at lights at intersections. This makes sense at intersections. There the highest rate of accidents , especially if they have advanced left turn signals. If there is an intersection that has a left lane option( advance or not ) I will slow down from 50 km/hr to around 45 km/hr give or take. I have had to many close calls with people trimg to squeeze there turns before I get past them. Off a red I see to many people that think yellow lights are the same as green on advanced turns . They speed to mmake it before that light is red and a few even go while it is red.

Again, I'm not talking about people just taking it easy and being cautious. I'm talking about the people that take almost half a minute to get to 60.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #40
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

Bunch of BS. People are scared of accidents, so they deliberately go slow when taking off at a light? No, people are inconsiderate and oblivious. They can't give two F's about who is behind them, and go whatever speed they feel like.
Glaringly obvious at a green arrow. First three guys go, and then the fourth guy just sorta starts to go, leaves 4 car lengths, eventually gets around the corner, and he essentially screwed 4 more cars out of getting through that light, and it just compounds the traffic jams at rush hour.

These timid little pussies that you're saying are "scared of accidents" need to get a bus pass and stay off the road. If they're too stupid to use their eyes to check the intersection before going through it, and instead just slow down, head straight, white knuckle their way through, then they (and you) need to turn in your DL. Eyes, and neck. Use them. Brain, too.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post: