Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #381
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #382
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joe Morton nailed it on Larry Wilmore's show just now.

Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #383
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 07-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #384
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because I was a gigantic Ferguson fan, I didn't watch Corden out of spite.

Until I realized he's hilarious.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #385
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Conan at Comic-Con all week.

#ConanCon

Chris Hardwick Gives Conan A Comic-ConŽ Citizenship Test

http://teamcoco.com/video/chris-hard...aWQiOjg5MDMxfQ

"Cosplay is not . . . drinks with Bill Cosby".

Last edited by troutman; 07-09-2015 at 09:27 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #386
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Anyone been giving James Corden a chance? Like what you see?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:30 AM   #387
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Conan at Comic-Con all week.
Have passes to one of his shows taping over the weekend. Should be interesting.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #388
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Anyone been giving James Corden a chance? Like what you see?
Yeah, it's a pretty good show, a more traditional sort of late night. Completely different type of show than Ferguson who used to literally not care, and that was the joke. Corden is a more younger skewing show like Fallon.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #389
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Have passes to one of his shows taping over the weekend. Should be interesting.
Was neat to see the Conan show live. I've never seen something like that in person. The lines were crazy but everybody was really pumped and excited. And he's a pretty darn good guitar player!

They even handed out those Conan Funko figures to everybody that attended and there were people outside the theatre jumping on every one trying to sell/trade them. I guess they're going for a couple hundred bucks on ebay. Crazy.

EDIT: And they never completed the Avengers Assemble Ikea Furniture skit on air. They had building a roughshod wooden Game of Thrones House Bolton Sigil that I assumed would have been the final result of their work. Oh well.

Last edited by chemgear; 07-12-2015 at 10:53 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #390
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #391
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Stephen Colbert Reveals Late Show Plans, First Musical Guest Kendrick Lamar

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...irst-musi.html
Old 08-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #392
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Stephen Colbert Reveals Late Show Plans, First Musical Guest Kendrick Lamar

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...irst-musi.html
Little surprised by the first guests, I thought it would be really important for him to have Jon Stewart as his first guest.

Maybe Jon is going off the grid that much that he doesn't even want to be a guest on a show, but I gotta say I'm a little disappointed.

Also figured he would have picked one of his favorite musical acts to open the show. Maybe I'm just thinking too much in the Letterman ending mind-frame where the guests, especially the last ones were very meaningful.

I guess the first show isn't as historic as that, and now that I think of it Jimmy Fallon didn't really go for anyone meaningful, he went for the best ratings guests on the first tonight show with U2 and Will Smith.

George Clooney and Kendrick Lamar are definitely "ratings" guests.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #393
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About 10 days before David Letterman went off the air, Colbert did check in with his predecessor before tackling the job. The two spent time in Letterman’s office, where advice was dispensed.

“I asked him questions for about an hour,” Colbert said. “He said he didn’t mind. He said, ‘Who would know to ask and who would care what the answer is?’ That was a gracious way to say only the person sitting behind the chair would care. We talked for an hour.
“I said, ‘Is there anything you would have changed?’ He said, ‘I would like to have tried the desk on the other side.’” So Colbert called his set designer and moved the desk.
Interesting. I've seen a few hosts talk about this over the years, and those that have tried it, almost all switched to the traditional guests on the left, host on the right set-up after a little while. They said it's a strange thing, but having the opposite orientation really throws people off, for some reason.

Quote:
One thing that Colbert does know about the structure of his show is that in addition to the usual mix of actors, musicians, politicians and athletes, he would like to also have real people as guests if they have something to say.

“Sometimes people you don’t expect will surprise you,” he says. “All I want from a guest is someone who has something to say so I can play with them and so we have a conversation.”
This is one part of his show that Carson excelled at, and all the guys who've followed him really haven't been able to pull off. Some of the best interviews I ever saw Johnny do were when his guest was just a regular person with an interesting story.

I think Colbert should be good at that. His early days on the Daily Show were a lot of those types of segments.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #394
jayswin

Exp:

My cynical theory (and I'm well aware it's most likely completely off base) is that there's something triggered by seeing certain promotions take place.

I'm not saying that Craig Fergusen and Jon Stewart are bitter people and that backing out of their respective shows is an F-you to anyone or anything, but more of a situation where they're going along doing their thing and they see David Letterman announce his retirement and Stephen Colbert get announced as the replacement.

Craig Fergusen goes; "Ah, you know what, deep down I knew I wasn't going to get promoted when he retired but that's enough of this gig for me".

Jon Stewart goes; "Stephan's amazing at what he does and thanks me for everything, but this made me realize I'm finished with doing the same show for all these years".

Again, nothing cynical on their part, but more that the move maybe caused them to reflect on what they were doing and realize maybe they had done it long enough. So not so much that they honestly thought they had a legitimate chance at it, but rather the finality of it caused the reflection that led to their decisions.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:45 PM   #395
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
My cynical theory (and I'm well aware it's most likely completely off base) is that there's something triggered by seeing certain promotions take place.

I'm not saying that Craig Fergusen and Jon Stewart are bitter people and that backing out of their respective shows is an F-you to anyone or anything, but more of a situation where they're going along doing their thing and they see David Letterman announce his retirement and Stephen Colbert get announced as the replacement.

Craig Fergusen goes; "Ah, you know what, deep down I knew I wasn't going to get promoted when he retired but that's enough of this gig for me".

Jon Stewart goes; "Stephan's amazing at what he does and thanks me for everything, but this made me realize I'm finished with doing the same show for all these years".

Again, nothing cynical on their part, but more that the move maybe caused them to reflect on what they were doing and realize maybe they had done it long enough. So not so much that they honestly thought they had a legitimate chance at it, but rather the finality of it caused the reflection that led to their decisions.
Really doubt that for Stewart, you could tell he was getting tired of the routine long before Colbert got the new job. Plus thanks to him, he turned The Daily Show into an even bigger show than Late Night or The Tonight Show. He didn't get the ratings on cable of course, but the influence he had was far above anything Letterman or Leno had. He had a stranglehold on the coveted 25-45 age demographic in that timeslot, the major networks would have killed to have his brand. Of course going to a network would have severely limited his freedom, which is why never wanted to do it (and said as much)

I think what Colbert leaving did do was make Jon realize that without his closest collaborative partner, he was enjoying work that much less and pulled the trigger on leaving quicker
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #396
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #397
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 08-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #398
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 08-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #399
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, I was pronouncing "Ex Machina" all wrong...
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 08-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #400
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jimmy Kimmel tries to get Bob Odenkirk to play a game during their interview. Some have seen this as a slam at Fallon (and if it is, I heartily applaud).

Last edited by Mike F; 08-25-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post: