Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My favorite part of the Anaheim brawl is Lowry flipping the puck over the glass and taking a penatly so Berube could get out of the box. Poor Friesen, his reaction was great
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

7 years straight out of the dance, I agree that was a brutal stretch. All without ever seeing a top 5 draft pick.

Scary thing is, they are looking to replicate it, this is year 4 already. They're too stubborn for their own good.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
7 years straight out of the dance, I agree that was a brutal stretch. All without ever seeing a top 5 draft pick.

Scary thing is, they are looking to replicate it, this is year 4 already. They're too stubborn for their own good.
Joey MacDonald = Grant Fuhr minus a couple years

C'mon, we wouldn't want Kipper Wregget to leave for free agency....
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember back then wishing with all my heart and soul that they would make the playoffs...and was constantly let down every year. It took a 3rd string goalie to get traded from the Sharks before I started to have faith in this team that it could contend. Back then, expectations were low and I remember my favorite thing to follow was Iggy's goal scoring race back in '02. I remember thinking just how lucky we were to have the NHLs leading scorer on our own team!

I don't think a rebuild will be as torturous this time, because we have ownership that will spend to the cap. Back then, the rebuild always had the threat of the team moving over it's head. It simply couldn't afford to keep up with Detroit, Colorado and all the big ticket teams. If a rebuild were to happen properly, we as fans can count on ownership to step up and makes the big moves when the time comes.

I remember the season ticket drive to get the team to stay. The herald always had the counter on its front page everyday, and I remember wishing to God that we could reach our goal. Thank god the real fans pulled through.

If a rebuild were to happen this time, I think fans would understand. The team has more exposure then ever before. Iggy is no longer 20. It NEEDS to happen.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Jeff Friesen skate for his life from Craig Berube is my favorite part of that clip.

Scotty Nichol....man, would love a little sparkplug like that these days.

Even Special Nieds gave it a go....although his fighting was about as passionate as his play. Looked like he was waltzing out there.

Poor Hentunen doesn't even move a muscle for 5 minutes there... just looking forward, with that scared sh*tless look, hoping that he if he doesn't move, he'll be invisible and coach won't send him on the ice.

That team blew chunks, but hell, at least they cared a little. Plus I remember they had Student Days back then where you could an amazing deal on cheap tickets, and then still be able to move down into the good seats. At least back then you knew whoever showed up was a Flames fan. There weren't a lot of us, and we almost always lost, but they were at least lovable losers.

That 6-7 years out of the playoffs was pretty rough, but thats why it made 2004 pretty special.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I think one of the myths of that era is that the team was hard-working.

I found them to be both bad and lazy.

Sure there were guys on the 3rd and 4th lines giving it their all every night - but that's the case an almost every team.

But the so-called star players were soft and lazy - guys like Cassels, Bure, Fatty, Housley, Nylander, Savard and yes Theo either didn't commit off the ice, or on it.

It is no wonder they sucked so hard - they didn't have talent and the talent they did have was lazy.

Things got better when they started to bring in guys from other organizations who helped changed the culture - Warrener, Yelle, Conroy, etc.

In some ways the same thing needs to happen again.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I always had such high hopes for Vesa Viitakoski. He had a laser of a shot and was a pretty big guy, I really hoped he would turn out to be a force offensively. He ended up only playing 23 games total.

And who was the Russian prospect who had the thyroid problem and ended up weighing like 280 pounds? It wasn't Medvedev, it was a forward, I think his name started with a 'G'?

Those were dark times for the Flames. Even the prospects weren't immune.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #28
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG bad memories.

Shocking the Flames might soon be as bad, while spending to the cap limit!!!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #29
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember the team getting worked by Colorado and wre down something like 7-0 in the third. This was a home game.

Denis Gautier and Adam Deadmarsh get into it in the corner and Deadmarsh drops the gloves. Gautier turtles and was all smiles on the bench. The crowd was shocked in absolute disgust at his lack of compete and willingness to put up no physical defence to being humiliated.

I also remember getting to go to upwards of 35 games one year because clients would not even take free tickets from businesses, so i ended up with so many on my lap. It was so bad when the team would go down by two goals because you knew there was zero chance of them coming back. Jeff Shantz was centering the first line and went to Colorado and couldnt crack their roster even on the fourth line.

The only thing to chher for was Brathwaite, maybe a McCarthy fight, and then it was about the nachos.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #30
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

And not to downplay the bad management, player development and the financial situation, but we also just had some really bad luck.

Who knew Leeman would have off-issues? That Gilmour trade was really the beginning of the end I think. Leeman gets crapped on a lot, but life happens.

And then there was the Daniel Tkazcuk injury. I maintain that he was a legitimate prospect.

Or when we signed Brad Werenka long term only to have him get permanently injured right away. While in today's dollars, the contract wasn't huge, it was certainly enough to anchor us. And no, it was not insured.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-14-2013 at 09:28 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #31
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I had seasons tickets in the nose bleeds, they were so cheap and came with a West Jet or Air Canada voucher that let you fly anywhere in Canada. The voucher was almost worth as much as I paid for the tickets. The best part is there were so little Flames fans in the building on most nights we would just move down to the sweet seats.

I remember going to a Flames Oilers game and being there an hour early for some reason. A pack of about 10 Oiler fans came up, one of them with a sign that stated "The Young Guns are shooting blanks!" My friends and I started giving them the gears and they were right into it giving it back and forth until the game started.

After the first period it was 5-0 Edmonton. The horror. The Oiler fans were relentless. One of my buddies turned to me during the intermission and said, "Dude, I seriously can't take this, can we leave?" It was the first and only game I have ever left early from, there just wasn't anything to say.

Before we even got out of the parking lot it was 7-0. I believe the game ended 10-1. Dark dark times indeed. I really don't want to go through that again.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #32
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Things got better when they started to bring in guys from other organizations who helped changed the culture - Warrener, Yelle, Conroy, etc.

I think you could argue we've done that 3x since then [Tangs, Cammy, Bouw, Wideman, etc.] We've brought in guys with rings, guys who've made finals appearances, guys who've dominated in the post season etc.

The 3 you mention were more about leadership, but this team doesnt score enough as is in the new NHL, not sure we can afford to give up any scorers.
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #33
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where ru Chris O'Sullivan View Post
I think you could argue we've done that 3x since then [Tangs, Cammy, Bouw, Wideman, etc.] We've brought in guys with rings, guys who've made finals appearances, guys who've dominated in the post season etc.

The 3 you mention were more about leadership, but this team doesnt score enough as is in the new NHL, not sure we can afford to give up any scorers.
Actually they are scoring enough for the most part. GA is the bigger problem this year. That's the issue - they've been yo-yo'ng betweeen GF and GA being the problem in the last few years.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #34
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

After being a Flames fan as a kid, I gave up on the Flames when I moved from Calgary in 1998. I became interested again because of Iggy's Hart season where somehow Theodore ended up with the freaking trophy.

I do think that Iggy and Kipper give this team an air of legitimacy that those awful teams lacked in the late 90s. While we do absolutely need to do something about our team for the long-run, it makes me cringe to think of trading either because of what they symbolize - not wins or 2004 or playoffs, or anything that tangible - but rather to me they symbolize being an actual, viable NHL franchise.

I'm pretty terrified that after trading them we end up with a franchise no one gives a hoot about like we had back then. I understand completely where the OP is coming from.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #35
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Three things stuck out during that era:
1. Nylander would never stop skating round and round and could not make a decent pass.
2. Cory Stillman was a sleeper, in a way.
3. $5 ticket voucher to the 3rd level when you buy a box of Coke products at Co-Op.
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SOMBRI2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #36
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Watching Jeff Friesen skate for his life from Craig Berube is my favorite part of that clip.
All I can picture in my head is the scene in Slap Shot where Clarence 'Screaming Buffalo' Swamptown is chasing Johnny Upton into the corner. Why on earth did Calgary sign that pansy later on?

I moved here 18 years ago from the sticks, so excited to finally be in a city where I could go to an NHL game!! And the first thing I get to see is the Young Guns. One Cup run and 17 years of mediocrity.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #37
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I do think that Iggy and Kipper give this team an air of legitimacy that those awful teams lacked in the late 90s.
Well remember that Iggy was on those terrible 90s teams too. So were guys like Regehr, Savard, and St.Louis. It's scary to look forward to a future where you don't see any stars, but sometimes young guys need a little time to get "legitimate".
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the age of parity, you're not going to see those kinds of teams anymore. So that's the good news.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think one of the myths of that era is that the team was hard-working.

I found them to be both bad and lazy.

Sure there were guys on the 3rd and 4th lines giving it their all every night - but that's the case an almost every team.

But the so-called star players were soft and lazy - guys like Cassels, Bure, Fatty, Housley, Nylander, Savard and yes Theo either didn't commit off the ice, or on it.

It is no wonder they sucked so hard - they didn't have talent and the talent they did have was lazy.

They also weren't as bad as many remember as they never Oiler/Islander bad they just kept missing the playoffs never finishing low enough to draft top 5. They suffered mostly from poor depth/goaltending and a lack of veteran leadership in the locker room.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually they are scoring enough for the most part. GA is the bigger problem this year. That's the issue - they've been yo-yo'ng betweeen GF and GA being the problem in the last few years.
What I find curious is that the yo-yo'ng started under Keenan where the GA was okay in his first season and terrible in his last. Continued under Brent with Kipper having good stats one year and subpar the next. He was excellent last season and now he's subpar. I don't want to pile on Kipper especially this season as the defensive zone coverage has been awful but some of this has to point in his direction.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oilers sucked since 2002