Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #681
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Anyone suggesting this is a conspiracy theory....LOL

You could see in Bettmans reaction...."Oh, the Edmonton Oilers." And his terse, short, attitude after the selection that he wasn't pleased. I am surprised he didn't start stuffing the balls back in the machine declaring it malfunctioned.

You could see in McDavids reaction, that he was utterly disappointed. Oiler fans are so delusional, they are stating he looked happy... whatever guys. The poor kid had his dreams destroyed in front of a few million people.

This is the biggest ironic twist of re-structuring the lottery. They gave teams better odds, for not ultra tanking, because of the Oilers previous purposeful tanking, and the year they don't tank as hard, they benefit from the rule to created because of them, designed to protect the league from teams just like them.

As far as evil genius plans go, it couldn't have played out better. But using the word genius, and Oilers in the same sentence, might be a bit of a stretch.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #682
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What other business in the word takes incompetence and failure that is this wide spread and enduring and rewards it?

This system is broken and needs to be reexamined. To have four first round picks in six years is beyond ridiculous.

And the fact we have so many Oiler fans crawling out from under their rocks gloating is beyond sad. There is nothing to gloat about. You have been the biggest laughingstock in professional sports for years, and did nothing to feel any remote sense of pride from this. It's like an alcoholic chronic gambler, down and out hitting the jackpot with their last dirty dollar. The problems run much, much deeper than having one player turn fortunes around.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #683
Walter Reed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Meh, the lottery flipped the bird at every other team not named the Oilers. You just happened to respond to a post from a Flames fan on a Flames message board. I'm pretty sure there one exact post on every other teams fan message board.

This should be expected.
Yes I agree, Edmonton's flukey "win" yesterday made them hated by all the other teams fanbase, that I understand but I couldn't figure out why the contributor believed it was a slap at the Flames specifically.

IKTHUS
Walter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #684
Walter Reed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
What other business in the word takes incompetence and failure that is this wide spread and enduring and rewards it?

This system is broken and needs to be reexamined. To have four first round picks in six years is beyond ridiculous.

And the fact we have so many Oiler fans crawling out from under their rocks gloating is beyond sad. There is nothing to gloat about. You have been the biggest laughingstock in professional sports for years, and did nothing to feel any remote sense of pride from this. It's like an alcoholic chronic gambler, down and out hitting the jackpot with their last dirty dollar. The problems run much, much deeper than having one player turn fortunes around.
I'm not sure you were directing your comments at me, but I have continued to post on this site throughout this season regardless of how humbling or terrible the Oilers have played. I haven't gone through the entire thread so maybe some other fans have spouted off or gloated as you've said but I know I've not done so, nor will I.

IKTHUS
Walter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Walter Reed For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #685
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Reed View Post
I'm not sure you were directing your comments at me, but I have continued to post on this site throughout this season regardless of how humbling or terrible the Oilers have played. I haven't gone through the entire thread so maybe some other fans have spouted off or gloated as you've said but I know I've not done so, nor will I.

Not you in particular, there are many popping up from under their rocks though and the prevailing attitude seems like this is something to rally around as though it should instill a sense of accomplishment... and nothing could be farther from the truth.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #686
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

mcdavid looked crushed edmonton possibly already ruined his career just from winning the lottery
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #687
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The annoying part is their weasel fans who hide all year only to come out now and brag like they've accomplished something great. Crawl back into your hole. This is the same stuff we heard in 10, 11, and 12. Look how that worked out.

Last edited by N-E-B; 04-19-2015 at 04:01 PM.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #688
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

It could have been worse.

Imagine if the majority of predictions been correct and we finished last in the league with the Oilers winning the lottery.

Actually don't, it doesn't bear thinking about.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #689
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is not a one year tank job, it is teams that are consistently bad year after year. I would not want to cheer for a team that tanks but for one year it is not the end of the world for either the team or the league. Consistently being bad should not be rewarded. I would prefer to go back to the when there was no lottery and you just drafted where you finished with one exception. I would say over the previous 5 years (including the existing draft year) your teams first round pick could not add up to more than 20.

That would literally not affect any team this year other than the Oilers because they are the only team that has consistently tried to suck year after year. Even Buffalo (if they would have had this system in place) would only have 22 points going into next year. They could tank again next year and still get the first overall pick. However for the 2017 draft they would not be able draft lower than 9th overall (assuming they were dead last next year as well). The Oilers are bad in a way that no team in NHL history has been over the past 6 years.

A system like this would have allowed the Oilers to draft number one overall for the three years that they did (although they would have drafted second in the Yakupov year if it had been in place). However this year they would not be able to draft lower than 8th overall. It would actually provide an incentive for teams to try to win eventually, because as perverse as that sounds you apparently have to do that in the NHL.

The Islanders proved this year that you can improve if you do not have an incentive to lose. The league has to figure out a way to eliminate the incentive to lose.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #690
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. Even Gretzky in his prime couldn't get another cup after leaving Edmonton. And he had solid teammates in Robitallie, Kurri, Blake, Coffey, Hrudy, etc. I guarantee McDavid alone doesn't get Edmonton close to the playoffs next year. Not with their AHL worthy defense and goaltending. Even their solid group of forwards are incredibly one dimensional and prefer toe-drags over back checking or defense. They're a cap team with below average prospects and the worst management out of any team in any of the 4 major pro sports. Take all the #1 picks you want, we still churn out better players using our 4th round picks.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #691
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Revisionist history will be entertaining in the years to come. I expect many to start talking about a "plan" and other talks of dynasty
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #692
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

looking forward to Monahan Bennett making McDavid wish he'd play for the Swiss League while Ferland permanently endends his jersey number in his head.

The Oilers might have gotten the next shiny toy like Hall and RNH and Yah, but they're still a rotting corpse of a franchise. I just hope they rush guys like Nurse into the lineup without any support.

Dynasty? Dynasty? They're the Oakland Raiders of the NHL

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #693
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default [News] The Edmonton Oilers win the draft lottery and will select 1st overall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by drewtastic; 04-19-2015 at 04:02 PM.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #694
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silver lining for me - at least if he plays in Edmonton we will get to see him play. If he played in Arizona (for example) I'd never see him because I don't watch many games outside of ones on sportsnet.

Edmonton are still 4 top four defenceman and a goalie away from playoffs anyways.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #695
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Silver lining for me - at least if he plays in Edmonton we will get to see him play. If he played in Arizona (for example) I'd never see him because I don't watch many games outside of ones on sportsnet.

Edmonton are still 4 top four defenceman and a goalie away from playoffs anyways.
Not to mention forwards with a shred of defensive awareness.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #696
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I'm reading the entry level/RFA stuff correctly, we're in for a heck of an offer sheet derby in 2018. The likes of which the NHL hasn't seen before.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #697
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
If I'm reading the entry level/RFA stuff correctly, we're in for a heck of an offer sheet derby in 2018. The likes of which the NHL hasn't seen before.
Can players coming off their ELC even be offer sheeted?

edit: I guess we can considering we offer sheeted ROR.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #698
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
McDavid isn't the same as their other picks. He is elite in every sense of the word, especially his drive and will to win. He is a proven champion and proven winner, he won't be part of the Golden Boys clique going out to Oil City Rigs after a loss to chat up girls. McDavid is gonna be watching tape and sharpening knives looking at the logos of 29 other teams.
Taylor Hall led the Windsor Spitfires to back-to-back Memorial Cups as a 16 and 17 year-old and is the only player in history to win the Memorial Cup MVP twice.

McDavid won at the World Juniors, but so did Hall and Eberle. Eberle scored one of the most memorable goals in WJHC history, and was named the tournament MVP. RNH was the scoring leader at the WJHC and was named the top forward of the tournament.

What's more likely, an 18 year-old kid walks into that room and demands everyone else change their behaviour and they do, or an 18 year-old kid walks into that room and sees how all the other #1 picks behave and falls in line with them?

I'm sure most of us can remember being young and walking into a new job. When someone shows you the way things are done, that's the way you do them. If the coach is telling him one thing and the Golden Boys are whispering in his ear, "Screw that, we're superstars, we can do what we want. Let's go to the bar.", there aren't a lot of 18 year-olds who will say, "No, coach says I need to stay in and get my rest."

I honestly believe they need to rip out their rotten core and bring in some solid veteran leadership before McDavid gets poisoned. If I were MacTavish, I would be on the phone with every GM in the league looking to move Hall and/or Eberle.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #699
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Can players coming off their ELC even be offer sheeted?

edit: I guess we can considering we offer sheeted ROR.
As long as he has played at least 10 pro games during each season of the ELC (only NHL games count if the player is under 20).

It's an extremely rare situation, and basically requires the player to suffer a season-ending injury very early in the season. For example, Bouma got injured early in the final year of his ELC and didn't play 10 games all season, so he didn't qualify for RFA status when his contract expired. That's why his second contract was basically league minimum. He had no leverage.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #700
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Reed View Post
????
The league flipped the bird at the Flames ...?
Forgive my ignorance but how did they do that?
Yeah only in that the biggest prize in their loser lotto was handed to bitter rivals.

The system ####s every fan, this one just stings more to flames fans than if it were some other team that one it.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote