Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 12:35 PM   #6241
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I mean we're going in circles, which is literally the issue with the region.

But nobody here can deny, well besides Zary who just makes up crap to excuse his ridiculous viewpoints, that Israel has fought wars and then subsequently made lasting peace with certain countries.

Of course that FACT won't stop the usual suspects from completely ignoring the FACT that Hamas hides among civilians, launches attacks FROM civilian areas, for the specific reason that Israel gets blamed if they retaliate and civilians are killed.

FACT.

So what the usual suspects are saying is that Hamas has the right to launch attacks, and Israel has no right to defend themselves.

Which is rather strange, considering the same usual suspects posted in this exact thread when Israel launched attacks on Iran that "Iran has the right to defend itself."

Funny how an actual terrorist nation is given the right to defend itself, but Israel isn't, and how Hamas has no responsibility for the thousands of civilians that have died because they intentionally use them as human shields.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 12:55 PM   #6242
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

But nobody here can deny, well besides Zary who just makes up crap to excuse his ridiculous viewpoints, that Israel has fought wars and then subsequently made lasting peace with certain countries.

Of course that FACT won't stop the usual suspects from completely ignoring the FACT that Hamas hides among civilians, launches attacks FROM civilian areas, for the specific reason that Israel gets blamed if they retaliate and civilians are killed.

FACT.

So what the usual suspects are saying is that Hamas has the right to launch attacks, and Israel has no right to defend themselves.

Which is rather strange, considering the same usual suspects posted in this exact thread when Israel launched attacks on Iran that "Iran has the right to defend itself."

Funny how an actual terrorist nation is given the right to defend itself, but Israel isn't, and how Hamas has no responsibility for the thousands of civilians that have died because they intentionally use them as human shields.
Do you think it would make sense for them to build a military base? Is it possible the way they operate is the only logical way they could have any sort of defensive or offensive capabilities?

I'm not asking you to defend their philosophies or anything, but I feel like a child could at least understand why they are totally unable to build any sort of traditional military or have any military infrastructure since Israel would destroy it.

Are you mentally equipped to put yourself in the shoes of a Palestinian who wants to defend the people they love from Israel's aggression? Keep in mind, of course, Israel - over the past 25 years - has inflicted thousands of more injuries and murders upon Palestinians than the other way around. Without even taking a side, I can at least acknowledge that Palestinians have no way of building a military base or operating a formal military so long as Israel is their neighbour.

We're talking really basic stuff here, dude. If you can't grasp the basics, how can you expect to be taken seriously as you build arguments from such simple flaws in your understanding?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:56 PM   #6243
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is 13,000 dead children a reasonable amount of collateral damage when defending oneself? Seems grossly disproportionate to the threat level posed by Hamas but would be interested in defining the acceptable number of kids you’d sacrifice to save a future Israeli life?

Essentially to support Israel’s current campaign that number must exist.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:12 PM   #6244
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

FACT.

This needs to be called out. You can't keep making things up to make your points. It's totally unacceptable for you to continue to do this and then not respond when called out on it.

0 people or 0 "usual suspects" have said anything remotely close to this.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:12 PM   #6245
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is 13,000 dead children a reasonable amount of collateral damage when defending oneself? Seems grossly disproportionate to the threat level posed by Hamas but would be interested in defining the acceptable number of kids you’d sacrifice to save a future Israeli life?

Essentially to support Israel’s current campaign that number must exist.
I think it's become apparent that people who support Israel's current campaign view any dead Palestinian as a feature and not a bug. Once you understand that, their perspective makes sense.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 01:47 PM   #6246
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

FACT.

This is standard operating procedure of asymmetrical warfare. It was how the Americans operated during the American revolution, it's how the Viet Cong operated during the Vietnam War, and it's how Hamas operates now. The Hamas fighters are usually just normal guys running a bakery or a grocery store, with a side gig in launching rockets at Sderot. Them going home at the end of the night doesn't mean they're using human shields.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:50 PM   #6247
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
This is standard operating procedure of asymmetrical warfare. It was how the Americans operated during the American revolution, it's how the Viet Cong operated during the Vietnam War, and it's how Hamas operates now. The Hamas fighters are usually just normal guys running a bakery or a grocery store, with a side gig in launching rockets at Sderot. Them going home at the end of the night doesn't mean they're using human shields.
Bold of you to assume they have bakeries and homes.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:13 PM   #6248
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think it's become apparent that people who support Israel's current campaign view any dead Palestinian as a feature and not a bug. Once you understand that, their perspective makes sense.
Not to put words in peoples mouth but I suspect they blame Hamas for those deaths which allows them to not have to consider the question.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM   #6249
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not to put words in peoples mouth but I suspect they blame Hamas for those deaths which allows them to not have to consider the question.
I think this whole conflict is a good case study for why perfidy is a war crime. When an adversary has a history of perfidious behaviour, civilians lose their security. It's unfortunate, but that is where things are at now.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:29 PM   #6250
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't blame Hamas 100% because I feel Israel could operate differently to avoid civilian causalities. But I also think Israel has decided that the time for that is past, and the reason for that is Oct 7.

It has basically turned into a campaign for vengeance, and we all know how that usually ends.

Also, the reason I don't bother responding to the the stupidity of 'oh you just make excuses for Israel' is because it goes without saying that during a time of war, the aggressor almost always operates in a way that is extremely regretful after the fact. Even if they think their cause is justified, and even if we all agree that the cause is justified. In WW2 we firebombed cities and justified it. Not calling this WW2, because it isn't to us, but Israel has clearly approached it from that direction.

Also, if we really want to blame someone, blame our government for turning a blind eye to where our money was going the past 20 years. Because it funded and helped create this mess.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 05:21 PM   #6251
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I definitely feel that Hamas shares the blame for the Palestinian lives lost.

I believe the only path to peace in the region is for Hamas to be eliminated. No way a terrorist organization should be governing Gaza. I don’t think Hamas wants peace with Israel.

Israel has, rightfully so, been criticized for the amount of casualties in this conflict and damage they have done to Gaza. This criticism is warranted.

Unfortunately the people paying the biggest price of all are the citizens of Gaza. Hopefully their lives can be rebuilt under a government that wants to live in peace with their neighbours, and hopefully Israel also chooses peace after Hamas is no longer in power.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:24 PM   #6252
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1783605624044925181
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: