Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #61
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Heat set a record with their sixth W in a row!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #62
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

8 or their next 9 games are against teams under .500

A continued hot streak sets them up beautifully for the rest of the season
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #63
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from the game.

What a crazy game. I still can't believe they came back from a two goal deficit in the third period.

The Good:
- Howse played with a ton of heart tonight. He was incredibly physical on that fourth line with P3L and Patterson. In fact, he was the most physical of his three linemates. He laid out some huge hits on guys and even drew a penalty because of a Bulldog reacting to Howse's hit.
- Breen was very physical as well. He always seems to have his stick in the proper spot to either take away a passing lane of deflect a shot. He's coming along.
- Byron was speedy and shifty as usual. Intercepting a few passes and generating scoring chances. He came really close to scoring a goal to end the game in overtime with only 4 seconds left.
- As much as I dislike Wilson, boy was he good tonight. He had a team high 8 shots on net tonight, scoring the game tying goal with less than 7 minutes left in the game.
- Mikkelson plays great every game both defensively and offensively. Tonight was no different.
- Sylvester was excellent tonight. He collected 2 points tonight and now has 8 points in the last 7 games. He seems to be a great pickup.

The Bad:
- Henry was downright awful tonight. Just atrocious. He made a couple of positioning mistakes early and it snowballed from there. He out of position a ton tonight. He's the primary reason Hamilton scored their first two goals.
- Negrin wasn't very good either. I hate to say it, but those mechanical knees of his have definitely hindered the phenomenal skating ability that got him drafted. I have hope that he'll become a top prospect again, but I highly doubt it.
- When the team needed a momentum shift, usually Ward likes to see a fight to get the team sparked. P3L didn't deliver. While P3L didn't play bad, he didn't do what he was supposed to do when he was expected to do it haha.

Overall, it was fun game to watch. The crowd got really into it during the third period and there was a good atmosphere in there tonight (attendance was 3200).

Regarding Wahl. I wasn't trying to pay attention to him, but it was hard not to tonight. When he came on for his first shift of the night he laid two big hits on Sylvester (maybe he's a little bitter for taking his spot in the top 6 ). Not only that, but he was the only shooter for the Bulldogs to score in the shootout tonight.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 AM   #64
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just saw the post-game vids on youtube. Ward really seems like a good coach for the Heat. Listening to him talk sounds like he knows the game well and his respect for the Flames organization seems really high. As for the game from the highlights Negrin looked pretty bad on Dumont's goal. Although Henry's bad decision on making a big hit was part of the reason for the goal. Sounds like Rheault's out for the next game from Ward's post game comments.

Heat sit 1 point behind the Aeros for top spot in the league.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #65
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Justin Dowling has been recalled from Utah. He's covering for Rheault who took a harsh slash on the ankle last night.

It could be interesting what Ward does with the lineup. Considering how well Howse played last game, I could see him taking Rheault's spot in the top 6 and then Dowling can take Howse's spot on the 4th line.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #66
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've liked what I've seen from Dowling in the ECHL and AHL thus far. He's yo-yoed, but it doesn't seem to have hurt his play at all.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #67
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jordan Henry scores his first of the season and the Teddy Bear toss is on!!!

1-1 in the first.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #68
RaitisIvanans41
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sucks that Ivanans is injured.

The Ivanans-Slyvester-Leblond line was very good.
RaitisIvanans41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #69
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Piskula needs to be sent back down. Carson's back up as the 7th D, so there's no need for him to be up with the Flames anymore.

I'd much rather have Piskula in than Sinkewich.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #70
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In order to get Piskula back the Flames need Babchuck or Giordano back in the lineup.

Really testing the resiliency of the Heat with all the call-ups. Bummer to lose today, but the point streak goes on.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #71
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
In order to get Piskula back the Flames need Babchuck or Giordano back in the lineup.
Why?

Flames have 8 healthy defensemen. They can afford to send Piskula down it looks like.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #72
byronkentgraham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How is Breen doing? I have high hopes for him, was hoping he would get a call up, doesn't appear that will happen any time soon.

EDIT:
Sorry Just read the earlier post. Hopefully he gets back to where he was. We could use a defenceman like him.

What about Bryan Cameron? He's Fallen off the earth since heading to the AHL

Last edited by byronkentgraham; 12-19-2011 at 02:34 AM.
byronkentgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #73
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronkentgraham View Post
How is Breen doing? I have high hopes for him, was hoping he would get a call up, doesn't appear that will happen any time soon.

EDIT:
Sorry Just read the earlier post. Hopefully he gets back to where he was. We could use a defenceman like him.

What about Bryan Cameron? He's Fallen off the earth since heading to the AHL
Yeah, for a former 50 goal scorer, he has done nothing for the Utah Grizzlies. He has 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 13 games. Many of his teammates have played upwards of 20 games, so I'm wondering if he's sitting or injured. But I guess you can't blame Darryl for taking a chance with him.

BTW, the Heat have signed Bobby Robbins to a PTO. I guess he was playing with Chicago of the ECHL. I guess they signed him because Bancks isn't ready to come back for another couple of weeks, but I would have much rather they called back up Armstrong who has been playing fairly well in his time up with the Heat.

EDIT - According to Pinder, Robbins was a teammate of Ben Walter's from 2002-05. This season he has 117 PIM in 26 games. Likely just a one or two game player until Bancks is ready to come back.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 12-21-2011 at 03:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #74
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Pinder's interview with John Weisbrod tonight:

-Believes that today's game and tomorrow's game for the Heat will test their adversity and will show him how they mentally battle through travel and back to back games especially during the holidays.
-Doesn't rule out Kolanos playing in the NHL again some day. Says he needs to show scouts that he can play a physical game and keep up with the pace of the game. Not always about pure offense.
-He reiterated what Sutter said about Byron. Basically saying he's a real spark every shift he plays. They expect him to bring energy to the team and if he chips in offensively, that's a bonus.
-Believes that Nemisz being called up today is his first "true" callup of the season. He said last time Nemisz was called up was because they needed a quick option/extra man with Tanguay out of the lineup. This time, he's not that extra man. He's being called up because he deserves it.
-When asked about Arnold and Gaudreau's chance at making team USA, he said Gaudreau didn't dress for last night's game and the game before he only played 7 shifts, so there's a "50/50" chance he'll make it. He did not discuss Arnold. I would assume that means he's a shoe in, but who knows.
-And then he finished by talking about the new CBA next year. He didn't sound optimistic about it, but he didn't sound pessimistic either.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #75
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Heat win 4-3 in overtime to bring them to 20-8-2 on the year.
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #76
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting on what Weisbrod had to say about Nemisz and his call-up. Does this mean that he will play against the wings? Who would sit? Horak, Byron and Backs played great last game. Maybe someone from the 4th line?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #77
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Interesting on what Weisbrod had to say about Nemisz and his call-up. Does this mean that he will play against the wings? Who would sit? Horak, Byron and Backs played great last game. Maybe someone from the 4th line?
Tanguay sits with injury.

The Heat are just dominating! They are on an eight game point streak despite having lost Nemisz, Byron, Brodie, Piskula, Irving to call ups as well as a couple players with injury. They are dressing two players on tryout contracts because the lineup is so thin.

Last game before the break is against the Vancouver Canucks affiliate. I really hope that they can extract some more points from this game, as they have a real challenge in that West division. 15 points in 8 games and they still can't pull into the division lead.

Big props to Danny Taylor and Krys Kolanos, two guys signed mid season who are just CRUSHING the opposition.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #78
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edit: nvm

Last edited by Redrum; 12-22-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #79
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Note to anyone who lives in the Lower Mainland including Whistler and Squamish:

The Heat vs. Wolves game will be televised at 5:00 PST tonight on Shaw (Ch. 4 in most areas).
Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #80
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Heat lose to the Wolves 5-2
20-9-2 record heading into Christmas.
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat