Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #201
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jaybird: I'm curious about the technicalities involving a loan as well. Disappointed to see Wahl fall back to the ECHL, but I suspect he'll earn a return to Abbotsford in no time. Last stint there he had 5 goals and 7 points in 6 games, and that's when he wasn't playing a regular shift in the AHL.

Roof-Daddy: Wahl is a bit of preachy Christian. I'm not sure I'd label that a bad attitude or a locker room issue. It's crazy, on his first stint with the Heat he had 4 points in 4 games before get 6 more in 12 playoff games. I wonder what's holding him back.

Feaster is bang on with the way he's handling the Heat. Unless you want them uprooting again in a years time and looking for ANOTHER new home, the team has to win. They have to be competitive and entertaining.

Troy Ward + Winning = my two favorite things about the Heat.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #202
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're not convinced Ward is a ballsy coach, maybe this will convince you:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Quote:
The Abbotsford Heat were at the top of the Western Conference standings just two weeks ago and now were on a free fall – sort of – with three-straight losses, including a 5-0 shellacking Friday night at home versus the Charlotte Checkers.

Then they got a wake-up call.

Krys Kolanos – who is bound for the All Star Game next week – was a scratch Saturday, as was captain Quintin Laing and defencemen Jordan Henery and John Negrin. Plus, Danny Taylor, who had started 17 consecutive games, was replaced by rookie goalie Joni Ortio.

And the Heat won.
Quote:
“Sometimes along the way you need to be reminded that the enjoyment of the game is based on passion and internal fuel,” said head coach Troy Ward. “If you don’t have that, it’s a tough game to be successful in. If I have to motivate guys to play, it’s going to be a long season. Tonight we found 20 guys who wanted to play. That was what was addressed.”
Ward continues to impress me. If Brent ever gets fired, I hope to hell it's Ward that replaces him.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #203
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome.

I had no idea all those guys were healthy scratches. Healthy scratch the top scorer and your captain on the same night, and start a goalie who's a rookie and seen next to 0 game action?

Mega-balls.

Really glad the players who dressed rewarded the decision with a win.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #204
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Jaybird: I'm curious about the technicalities involving a loan as well. Disappointed to see Wahl fall back to the ECHL, but I suspect he'll earn a return to Abbotsford in no time. Last stint there he had 5 goals and 7 points in 6 games, and that's when he wasn't playing a regular shift in the AHL.

Roof-Daddy: Wahl is a bit of preachy Christian. I'm not sure I'd label that a bad attitude or a locker room issue. It's crazy, on his first stint with the Heat he had 4 points in 4 games before get 6 more in 12 playoff games. I wonder what's holding him back.

Feaster is bang on with the way he's handling the Heat. Unless you want them uprooting again in a years time and looking for ANOTHER new home, the team has to win. They have to be competitive and entertaining.

Troy Ward + Winning = my two favorite things about the Heat.
The concussion/injuries he sustained last year.

He was ripped it up in the WHL after not making the USA WJ team in 09/10, then played very solid (points wise) for the Heat after the Chiefs got eliminated from the playoffs.

He played 1 pre-season game for the Flames in 2010-2011, Stajan got hurt during that game and I believe Wahl took that position and finished the game with 2 assists.

He got sent down soon after (without playing another pre-season game)
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #205
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Awesome.

I had no idea all those guys were healthy scratches. Healthy scratch the top scorer and your captain on the same night, and start a goalie who's a rookie and seen next to 0 game action?

Mega-balls.

Really glad the players who dressed rewarded the decision with a win.
Laing was not a healthy scratch as he is out with a concussion. Not sure about Kylanos either as he was rumoured to be sick with the flu. No sure about Henry and Negrin...think they were healthy scratches. Also the night the Heat lost 5-0 several of the guys were not feeling well. Im not trying to make excuses for them but there are always two sides to every story. I think Ortio should be playing more before he loses all confidence.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #206
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Laing was not a healthy scratch as he is out with a concussion. Not sure about Kylanos either as he was rumoured to be sick with the flu. No sure about Henry and Negrin...think they were healthy scratches. Also the night the Heat lost 5-0 several of the guys were not feeling well. Im not trying to make excuses for them but there are always two sides to every story. I think Ortio should be playing more before he loses all confidence.
The way he was playing to start the year, he didn't really have much confidence to lose. He practices hard every day, has worked to become a better goaltender, but still has a ways to go. He's improved, and I'd be rather surprised if he hasn't gained confidence since he first came over.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #207
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

To elaborate on that last link I posted about Ward sitting some of the vets:

Pinder just interviewed Ward before the game and Ward said not only did he sit Kolanos, Laing, Taylor, Henry, and Negrin, but he "denied them access to the building (the arena)" and told them to go home and think about how they played the previous night.

And the 'ballsy' meter keeps going up...
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #208
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems to of worked............

Heat are losing 3-0 in the 2nd.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #209
junior
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
To elaborate on that last link I posted about Ward sitting some of the vets:

Pinder just interviewed Ward before the game and Ward said not only did he sit Kolanos, Laing, Taylor, Henry, and Negrin, but he "denied them access to the building (the arena)" and told them to go home and think about how they played the previous night.

And the 'ballsy' meter keeps going up...

It might be ballsy, but it may cost him the respect of the hockey team as well. Stuff like this works in bantam, can't see it working in the pro's. Ward is a guy who never really played a high level of hockey as it is, so it is probably tough getting the respect of your players as it is aside from pulling a stunt like that. Never met the guy but seems like a real ###### judging by his interviews.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #210
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Hmmm......Yes the "ballsy" move is something that maybe shouldn't be bragged about! I know I am going to get flack for this but I am not sold on Ward. Hopefully I am wrong but I think he may have had some good luck and the real work is going to have to start so lets see hope we some "smart" ballsy moves. Too much talking and blah, blah, blah stuff. I dont care, I just want to see the team keep improving and developing the young guys. I guess I could google this but am feeling lazy, was Ward a hockey player? Where has his experience come from? Plus Laing has a concussion so was he really "denied access". Just a question......?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #211
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
It might be ballsy, but it may cost him the respect of the hockey team as well. Stuff like this works in bantam, can't see it working in the pro's. Ward is a guy who never really played a high level of hockey as it is, so it is probably tough getting the respect of your players as it is aside from pulling a stunt like that. Never met the guy but seems like a real ###### judging by his interviews.
From all the interviews I've heard, the players absolutely love him and respect the hell out of him. To me, his interviews are actually somewhat intelligent as opposed to most hockey interviews. He actually says things of meaning in his interviews. He may seem arrogant, and I suppose that could be interpreted as being an A-hole, but I'll disagree with you on that one. He's the type of coach that is phenomenal at thinking through the game and relaying/conveying/articulating his observations to the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Hmmm......Yes the "ballsy" move is something that maybe shouldn't be bragged about! I know I am going to get flack for this but I am not sold on Ward. Hopefully I am wrong but I think he may have had some good luck and the real work is going to have to start so lets see hope we some "smart" ballsy moves. Too much talking and blah, blah, blah stuff. I dont care, I just want to see the team keep improving and developing the young guys. I guess I could google this but am feeling lazy, was Ward a hockey player? Where has his experience come from? Plus Laing has a concussion so was he really "denied access". Just a question......?
I don't mind these types of moves by Ward. In this situation he spoke about "internal fuel" vs. "external fuel", explaining that players with "external fuel" (who need to seek motivation to play the game of hockey) aren't going to make it very far in hockey. He said that night that those players did not display "internal fuel" so he sat them.

As far as his playing career, he didn't play hockey very much. In fact, he only played two full CJHL seasons. I don't think his hockey smarts come so much from his playing career, but more from his extensive coaching career. Watching hockey can be just as important towards gaining experience.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 01-25-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #212
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
From all the interviews I've heard, the players absolutely love him and respect the hell out of him. To me, his interviews are actually somewhat intelligent as opposed to most hockey interviews. He actually says things of meaning in his interviews. He may seem arrogant, and I suppose that could be interpreted as being an A-hole, but I'll disagree with you on that one. He's the type of coach that is phenomenal at thinking through the game and relaying/conveying/articulating his observations to the players.

I don't mind these types of moves by Ward. In this situation he spoke about "internal fuel" vs. "external fuel", explaining that players with "external fuel" (who need to seek motivation to play the game of hockey) aren't going to make it very far in hockey. He said that night that those players did not display "internal fuel" so he sat them.

As far as his playing career, he didn't play hockey very much. In fact, he only played two full CJHL players. I don't think his hockey smarts come so much from his playing career, but more from his extensive coaching career. Watching hockey can be just as important towards gaining experience.
I get what you are saying but I don't think you are ever going to see a player say anything negative about a coach in public. The coach can destroy their world in a minute and that power is a big deal,no matter how old they are. I do find Ward arrogant and a bit of a baby when the team is on the losing end. He is part of the team so if you win, you win together and if you lose you lose together. I find his analogies "interesting" but more important is if the players "buy into it". I have found him to be contradictory so if the players see him like that then I don't see them buying into it. It is just my opinion and I hope I am wrong.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #213
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
Seems to of worked............

Heat are losing 3-0 in the 2nd.
Seeing Kolanos had 9 shots on goal and 1a to finish the game, I think it did.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #214
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like going to Heat vs. Wolves games because of obvious reasons, but from what I hear the crowd was about 60% Heat fans. Pinder was saying the Heat fans cheered louder when their team scored.

Here's the kicker, apparently there were several fans with Canucks jerseys on cheering when the Heat scored. That's a great sign for this Heat team in terms of support.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #215
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Danny Taylor let in two quick goals on 5 shots in the first period. Ortio is now in.

Reinprecht and Mancari are killing the Heat right now.

EDIT - 4-0 for the Wolves now. This is getting ugly.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 01-25-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #216
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I chose the wrong game to go for my first game of the season, didn't even get to see the first 3 goals due to traffic and parking. The team didn't really start creating any offensive pressure till the third period and even then probably only had 2 scoring chances the whole game. Leblond did try to get the team into it with some physical play late in the second. There wasn't much positives in the first 2 periods from any player but will try to describe what i saw from some players in the 3rd.

Sylvester had some offensive plays but really needs to learn when to shoot the puck instead of feeding it off and going for a pretty play. Wilson looked good on the PP but didn't really notice much of him in the defensive zone. I think Byron was responsible for the 5th goal with a weak pass in the offensive zone creating a 2-1, a bad decision especially when the heat had 5 forwards on the ice. Horak looked okay for most of the game considering it was his first game down on this stint and his second game in as many nights. Proabably could have played the 2-1 better but probably shouldn't have been put in that situation.

Also from what I saw tonight, glad Aliu and Kolanos aren't available to play for the Flames. Kolanos seemed invisible tonight and Aliu really needs to learn some discipline. He seemed to be arguing with ref a couple times.

Probably should mention the final was 5-0

Last edited by flames_fan13; 01-26-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Added final score
flames_fan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #217
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ortio has been assigned to TPS Turku according to Ryan Pinder's and the Heat's twitter. Guessing this means that Karlsson's ready to come back and the Heat are going to get Irving back after the break.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #218
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

hope they send Karlsson down, at least for a conditioning stint
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #219
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
hope they send Karlsson down, at least for a conditioning stint
If Karlsson gets sent down for a conditioning stint tjen that would be ok as long as Irving gets sent down after. I'm not sure about Irving staying as a back up especially since I don't think Sutter will play him enough down the stretch. It will be better for Irving to get playing time in the AHL. Karlsson's probably not in the Flames' long term plan as Irving would be so playing time for him is probaably not as crucial as it would be for Irving.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #220
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like it. I understand that Ortio wouldn't see any playing time in the AHL now with Karlsson's return, but I thought the idea was to ease Ortio into the NA game. Sending him back to Finland after a handful of starts spread out over 4 months doesn't make much sense to me. They could always have sent him to the ECHL where he would have seen a lot of minutes to get used to the NA rink and get his confidence back.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat