Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Justin Schultz may go UFA?

The Ducks 2nd round pick from 2008, Justin Schultz may be going UFA.

From McKenzie:
Quote:
If Schultz goes to UFA, it would be a major blow to ANA. If he doesn't sign soon, logical implication is he's going to UFA.
He is considered one of the best dmen in US College right now.

Here is a great article about how his options may play out: http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...ck-for-schultz

I hope Feaster is all over this.

edit for youtube video:

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-12-2012 at 06:37 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty great offensive numbers for a defenceman. Would be nice to pick him up considering how we lost Erixon.

Though he's a BC native. I suspect he's going to sign with the Canucks.

Or the Rangers. Karma just doesn't affect them.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see him in a Canucks uniform, with him being from Kelowna and all. Although I doubt that happens. He should just sign with Anaheim, because yesterday they were saying he would have probably been in the lineup tonight.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I doubt Calgary is high up on his list. It won't be a matter of the contract as he will be on an ELC so his decision will entirely be based on where he wants to play.

That said I would love to have him. The Flames lack any real D prospects outside of Brodie so we could really use him.

Maybe Karma will work in our favor?!?!?!
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be shocked if he didn't sign with Anaheim soon. Get a few NHL games late this season and burn the first year of his ELC, play with the Ducks next year and then become an UFA to cash in. Makes sense.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'd be shocked if he didn't sign with Anaheim soon. Get a few NHL games late this season and burn the first year of his ELC, play with the Ducks next year and then become an UFA to cash in. Makes sense.
He still wouldn't be a UFA any earlier if he signed with Anaheim. He'd just have one less year until his ELC ended and he became an RFA.

No matter what he does, once he signs his ELC he won't be a UFA until he's 27 (barring a change in UFA rules in the next CBA).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
He still wouldn't be a UFA any earlier if he signed with Anaheim. He'd just have one less year until his ELC ended and he became an RFA.
you are right, I read that wrong in the article because it says that "in this scenario Schultz would become a free agent a year sooner" ... so I assumed UFA, but I didn't see that it said RFA before in the article. My fault.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How is his relationship with Ramage? Maybe he can convince him to sign with us? I know, its a pipe dream but one can dream.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing View Post
How is his relationship with Ramage? Maybe he can convince him to sign with us? I know, its a pipe dream but one can dream.
Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing.

Are he and Ramage defensive partners? It would be cool if Ramage thinks highly enough of Calgary and convinces him to come to the good side.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
I doubt Calgary is high up on his list. It won't be a matter of the contract as he will be on an ELC so his decision will entirely be based on where he wants to play.

That said I would love to have him. The Flames lack any real D prospects outside of Brodie so we could really use him.
That might be a reason for us to be high on his list... easier path to the NHL/Significant minutes... git 'er done Feaster.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hockey gods owe us for Erixon.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would he sign now when he can have the choice of any team in the league?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He is an elite prospect at this point in time, and certainly possesses top pairing ability.

Adding Schultz to our prospect pool alongside a top 16 pick would do wonders for a quick turn around. The probability of him signing here should he become a UFA however is obviously very slim.

Who knows. I hope he does the right thing and signs in Anaheim.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #14
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Why would he sign now when he can have the choice of any team in the league?
It'd burn a year off of his ELC so he'd become an RFA in on July 1st 2013. If he signs an ELC after the season is over it would run until June 30th, 2014. Here's an article which outlines his 3 options:

Quote:
Option 1

The first possibility for Schultz would be to finish his junior season at Wisconsin (that will happen regardless), and sign a contract with Anaheim sometime this summer. Since he's turning 22 in July, he'll be signed to a two year NHL two-way contract for 2012-13 and 2013-14.

He'll receive $875,000 for each season (if he's in the NHL). He'll also receive a $87,500 signing bonus both seasons regardless of where he plays.

Option 2

Schultz finishes the season with Wisconsin and signs an entry level contract (ELC) with Anaheim the minute the Badgers season is over. This option isn't outstanding for the Ducks because it means that Schultz can become a restricted free agent earlier. Signing during this NHL season would burn a year off his ELC.

Let's say the Badgers are eliminated after the first round of the WCHA playoffs (which let's be honest, is very possible), Schultz could sign with Anaheim as soon as March 12th. Schultz would immediately receive a $87,500 signing bonus for this season.

As for salary, the NHL goes by days under contract. Schultz would spend 26 days in the NHL to end the season, and would make approximately $5,000 per day. That means he'd end up banking around $130,000 in salary. Add that to his $87,500 signing bonus and he'd end this hockey season with a cool $217,500.

Next season Schultz would receive the second year of his signing bonus (another $87,500) and an NHL salary of $875,000.

In this scenario Schultz would become a free agent a year sooner than in option one, and that obviously means his earning potential increases significantly.

Option 3

Since Schultz played a year of junior hockey after being drafted, he can become a free agent over the summer if he chooses. The NHL CBA has a loophole that says if you officially withdraw from school (simply has to tell UW he's leaving) and it's the fourth summer after you've been drafted, you can choose to become a free agent.

Not many players do this, but Jason Gregoire from North Dakota chose this route last year. Other players like Bill Sweatt from Colorado College have done the same.

In this scenario, Schultz could earn $925,000 in salary each season with a $92,500 signing bonus both years.

The obvious advantage to this would be that Justin could pick and choose where he wants to play. Being a top 10 prospect in the world, Schultz could essentially choose any team in the NHL to play for next season. Would he want to be closer to his home and play for the Vancouver Canucks? Would he want to go play with a former teammate, or choose a better situation?
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...ck-for-schultz
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

Calgary's defence looks like this next year:
Bouwmeester - Giordano
Butler - Brodie
Smith - TBD
Babchuk

Right now there is a spot in the top 6 open to any of our prospects who can come in and beat Babchuk out for it.
If Schultz were to sign here, he would be looking to compete against Breen and possibly Ramage as his two biggest competitors for that spot.
If he's as good as advertised, that spot is pretty much his to lose.

The only solid team that I could see him wanting to go to might be Detroit if they think Lidstrom and Stuart are not coming back.
Flame4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame4Ever View Post
Calgary's defence looks like this next year:
Bouwmeester - Giordano
Butler - Brodie
Smith - TBD
Babchuk

Right now there is a spot in the top 6 open to any of our prospects who can come in and beat Babchuk out for it.
If Schultz were to sign here, he would be looking to compete against Breen and possibly Ramage as his two biggest competitors for that spot.
If he's as good as advertised, that spot is pretty much his to lose.

The only solid team that I could see him wanting to go to might be Detroit if they think Lidstrom and Stuart are not coming back.
Breen and Ramage are unlikely for next season. But Feaster isn't going to stand pat. He will likey nab a UFA this summer to fill the top 4. Babchuk also gets moved via trade or buyout.

And just about any team will be interested in a top prospect available for nothing
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the exact type of free agent we should be looking at.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It'd burn a year off of his ELC so he'd become an RFA in on July 1st 2013. If he signs an ELC after the season is over it would run until June 30th, 2014. Here's an article which outlines his 3 options:
That's true, but is burning one year off an ELC worth being stuck to one team until you are 27 worth it? Of course their are a lot worse places to be stuck than Anaheim. Who knows, Schultz could be a bust and he might regret burning off one of his ELC years.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading around, apparently the guy is very close to Jake Gardiner. So prepare to puke everyone.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
Hilch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Reading around, apparently the guy is very close to Jake Gardiner. So prepare to puke everyone.
I've heard from many to think Gardiner but better. He will be a good addition to any team.
A lot of character Hemsky has shown. He could have easily got a long term UFA contract. He knows what's brewing up here and wants to be a part of it. It can be contagious.
Hilch is offline   Reply With Quote