Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #4641
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default XBone Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME - PS4:900p-XBone:720p-PC::smug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
I doubt you're there target audience.

You are probably right. I guess they are going for the hardcore that don't already have a gaming PC.

EDIT: Eh. Who am I kidding? I'll probably preorder it right away. :P

Last edited by chemgear; 04-09-2017 at 08:21 PM.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #4642
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone getting the new Acer laptop?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #4643
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is the crazy Microsoft parity BS clause still a thing in 2017?!

Literally blocking game releases on your platform seems like a pretty dumb idea given your market position.

Oh well, good to hear a Switch version is likely in the works. It's a pretty damn fun(ny) party game that would really suit the system.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ox-one-release

Microsoft's oft-criticised parity clause is still coming under fire from independent developers. Gang Beasts creator Boneloaf is the latest to bemoan the restrictions to releasing on Xbox One.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #4644
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not even sure I'd consider Halo Wars 2 to be "big budget".

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/08/1...-party-problem

These days in gaming, it’s very easy for perception to become reality.

But in the case of Xbox’s perceived first-party problem, there’s some truth to it. Scalebound? Canceled. Fable Legends? Canceled. Lionhead? Shuttered. Press Play? Closed down. Ion? Done. Granted, cancellations are a normal part of the games business, but when they’re that public and that high-profile, it reinforces the negative perception.

The latest symptom of the issue is that Xbox has exactly one AAA-level exclusive this fall – Forza Motorsport 7 – in the wake of Crackdown 3’s lukewarm reception at E3 and subsequent delay into 2018. (Cuphead, impressive as it looks, is an ID@Xbox title that won’t get the same marketing push or budget as Microsoft’s higher-priced offerings.) And for all of 2017, there will be just two big-budget first-party exclusives, the seventh Forza Motorsport joining February's Halo Wars 2.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #4645
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

And because you can play Forza on PC I wouldn't even call it an exclusive. My consoles (other than Switch) sure are collecting dust these days.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #4646
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
And because you can play Forza on PC I wouldn't even call it an exclusive. My consoles (other than Switch) sure are collecting dust these days.
It's been a terrible summer for game releases so yeah. Pretty well most of the good looking games coming out in the fall are multi-console anyway.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #4647
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah really 2017 in general hasn't been great for Xbox or PS4 but has been especially abysmal for Xbox One.

Halo Wars 2 and Forza as your only in-year exclusives...yikes.

PS4 hasn't been much better but at least it's had Horizon, Persona, Nioh, Nier, Crash Remake. Really though without all the "Japanese" content that has come out PS4 hasn't really had any big "AAA" titles outside of Horizon either.

Honestly my Switch is the main system that I have been playing. With Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Splatoon 2. Plus that Mario x Rabbids game coming out in the next couple of weeks looks surprisingly good too.

PS4 has gotten some love just because of FIFA 17, and some NHL but my XBox I have barely turned on in the last 3-4 months.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #4648
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still remember when Crackdown was supposed to be this magical holy grail of cloud computing goodness. "Don't worry about the performance gap, the Xbone has the power of The Cloud(TM)." Everybody knew it was bunk.

This was making the rounds through various gaming forums; and they're not exactly opening more studios, just closing them.

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/897970592275550210

Microsoft Studios retail output by year:
06: 4
07: 13
08: 11
09: 7
10: 11
11: 8
12: 10
13: 7
14: 7
15: 7
16: 5
17: 3
Old 08-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #4649
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox is certainly in a sad state as far as exclusives go. I don't even think Crackdown looks very interesting. Its too bad, as a long time Xbox player I tried hanging on but ended up switching to PS4 because it just has so much more quality content available on it. It gets tiring reading about all these highly rated games that you can't play if Xbox is your primary console. I hope they turn it around at some point but almost nothing they've announced seems remotely interesting to me anymore.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #4650
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sea of Thieves has me really intrigued. Like, go buy an Xbox One just to play it-intrigued.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #4651
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default XBone Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME - PS4:900p-XBone:720p-PC::smug:

Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition (the new day one edition) is up for pre-order on various online retailers. I got a pre-order on Amazon.ca (the name didn't specify "Scorpio Edition" but the pictures were updated to show the branding).

Edit - sold out pretty much everywhere.

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-20-2017 at 04:51 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #4652
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Its an exclusive for me i dont own a pc anymore.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #4653
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Edit - sold out pretty much everywhere.
Still in stock nearly everywhere I can find, surprised they're still up. Pick your favorite store:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/10740801.aspx

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gamin...3E/p/108069193

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/stor...r_082017_en_CA

https://www.ebgames.ca/Platform/Games/735772

EDIT: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/xbox-one-x/6000197211770

Last edited by chemgear; 08-20-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #4654
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
You could be on the MS marketing team.

"Xbox One X... if it's the only thing you own, then every game is exclusive."
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #4655
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I haven't owned a PC for almost 20 years so yeah I don't really care about PC availability.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #4656
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I haven't owned a PC for almost 20 years so yeah I don't really care about PC availability.
Still kind of a ridiculous statement lol

I only own an xbox so GTA 5 is an Xbox One exclusive IMO
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #4657
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm, Microsoft gave Eurogamer the early exclusive breakdowns of system/tech. Here is there take on the final sales pitch product.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...e-x-falls-flat

Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat

it was hard to make head or tail of what Microsoft's Gamescom show had set out to achieve. In an hour and a half of reheated E3 trailers and recaps, there was perhaps one announcement of a genuine exclusive for Xbox: a vertical console stand for the day one edition of the Xbox One X, as unpackaged by Major Nelson in an abandoned office on the other side of the world.

Whether this was a conference or not was neither here nor there, for Microsoft had requested the attention of an audience hungry for anything after a lacklustre E3, and staring down the barrel of an unconvincing Q4 for Xbox. This was an opportunity to convince the world that the Xbox One X was going to be a worthwhile bet this year, perhaps the last before the console's launch, but when the pre-orders went live at the close of the show it was difficult not to feel that the sales pitch had fallen a little flat.

It all brought up the same question that kept recurring again and again - who is this thing for, and what's Microsoft setting out to achieve with the Xbox One X?

At this point in the console lifecycle, Microsoft needs more than prettier versions of multiplatform games if it's to make serious inroads into Sony's considerable lead this generation.

It needs new and exciting games, and just one reason to make the Xbox One X essential - an Uncharted, or a Breath of the Wild, to make the console's case for it. Forza Motorsport 7, as fine as it looks, doesn't quite cut it - alongside Gears of War and Halo, it feels like yesterday's news, and not the shot in the arm that's needed right now.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #4658
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

XBO-X is pretty clearly targeted toward the same type of person who will buy an iPhone 8 despite already having an iPhone 7, 6, 5... The hardcore fan/technophile who absolutely must have the latest thing.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #4659
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
XBO-X is pretty clearly targeted toward the same type of person who will buy an iPhone 8 despite already having an iPhone 7, 6, 5... The hardcore fan/technophile who absolutely must have the latest thing.
Isn't it the equivalent to the PS4 Pro? I'm not sure, actually asking, I don't follow consoles very closely these days.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #4660
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Isn't it the equivalent to the PS4 Pro? I'm not sure, actually asking, I don't follow consoles very closely these days.
Yes. Yes it is more or less but a little higher tech due to being released a year later.