Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Concussions in sport............

So did anyone else read the article in SI: Concussions: The Hits That Aer Changing Football.

With the current talk about hits in the NHL it is an interesting read. Especially if you look at the new science surround the minor hits adn their cummulative effect.

Also, the idea that hit to the fron tof the brain can cause concussions that we currently cannot identify on the spot with regular concussion tests. As a high school football coach and hockey player who suffered my share of concussions this was a great read. It worries me and makes me rething the coaching of hitting.

Here is the article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6374/index.htm
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnipegFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the middle of writing a research paper about concussions in collision sports. Some interesting information to say the least.

10% of college football athletes will suffer from a concussion this year
40-60% will suffer one over their amateur career.

I don't really want to hear the "take the contact out of the game" people, We need to set an example that blatant hits to the head are not allowed and will be punished. Hell the NFL made money on them when they sold pictures of the monster hits or sold DVD's about huge hits.

If you have never suffered from a concussion then I hope you never do. I rather go through another knee surgery than have to deal with a concussion.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I think its part of the game. Are there risks involved, are peoples life expectancy lowered because of it yes, but there is a price to pay to have guys with high school diplomas getting paid what they get paid.

Yes the direct helmet to helmet in NFL should be removed, but just because a guy is bigger and hits a guy in the head with his shoulder pads, yes it sucks if the guy gets injured but it is part of the game imo.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Personally I think its part of the game. Are there risks involved, are peoples life expectancy lowered because of it yes, but there is a price to pay to have guys with high school diplomas getting paid what they get paid.

Yes the direct helmet to helmet in NFL should be removed, but just because a guy is bigger and hits a guy in the head with his shoulder pads, yes it sucks if the guy gets injured but it is part of the game imo.
We can never rule the intent of a hit; blatant hits to the head are easy to spot. I also understand that it's part of the game, but we can limit the chances really by stopping players from playing after getting "woozy".
Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I agree that it is part of the game and I truly believe that when you try to limit a player's ability to "cleanly" hit another you actually increase the chances of other injuries. Players pulling up or altering their style can get injured in doing so. However, when players take cheap shot with helmet to helmet contact it is ridiculous and needs to be monitored. However, on both sides of the ball, how many RBs are running down linebackers by burying their head and crashing into their helmets.......... tough calls for the referees.

As for players going in after they are woozy, I agree that this needs to be dealt with. Unfortunately at the lwoer levels of the sport it is almost being over dealt with. I have had numerous occurances where players have felt ill or woozy and I know it is because they are out of shape and trainers are yanking them from games. Now I would NEVER risk a players health but I know a kid who hasn't even been hit yet has a small chance of a concussion. THus we are caught in a human dilemna, how much do we take responsibility for the players and where does their own start?
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
We can never rule the intent of a hit; blatant hits to the head are easy to spot. I also understand that it's part of the game, but we can limit the chances really by stopping players from playing after getting "woozy".
I think that is a slippery slope, because then you end up with Morneau in baseball who took 4 months+ off because of concussion symptoms and he plays the field in baseball.

If you are a linebacker/safety/lineman/tight end and you dont feel a little woozy at the end of the game then it sounds like it was a pretty soft hitting affair.

Its probably the only reason I can think of for having non guaranteed contracts in the NFL. Playing through discomfort and pain is part of all sports that involve physical contact.

Its one of the reasons I defend the high salaries that contact sport players make, because in most parts the game descreases their quality of life after the sport they deserve to be compensated while they do play.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote