Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #61
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait so do we feel different about a fella like Marc Savard than we do Chris Simon?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #62
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Wait so do we feel different about a fella like Marc Savard than we do Chris Simon?
Absolutely. Think about a similar comparison. Roof worker named Bob always wears his hard hat and is a model employee in terms of safety and then takes his helmet off for a minute during his coffee break when someone drops something off the roof. Versus Roofer named Fred whos constantly being written up for ignoring safety rules and when he finally gets hit in his bad behaviour, complains about the company's safety program.

Chris Simon continued to choose to violate the rules in hockey. Despite the penalty box time and fines and suspensions and players complaining to the media, the chirping on the ice, and even the violence against Simon, he ignored all negative reinforcers to play safely and instead chose to hurt himself and others. And Simon wasn't your typical gentleman goon. Who only fought other goons and lived by a code, so if the league took advantage of him, he didn't go above and beyond that role. He didnt draw a line that he needed to fight and that was it. He was a bloody maniac.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #63
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Absolutely. Think about a similar comparison. Roof worker named Bob always wears his hard hat and is a model employee in terms of safety and then takes his helmet off for a minute during his coffee break when someone drops something off the roof. Versus Roofer named Fred whos constantly being written up for ignoring safety rules and when he finally gets hit in his bad behaviour, complains about the company's safety program.

Chris Simon continued to choose to violate the rules in hockey. Despite the penalty box time and fines and suspensions and players complaining to the media, the chirping on the ice, and even the violence against Simon, he ignored all negative reinforcers to play safely and instead chose to hurt himself and others. And Simon wasn't your typical gentleman goon. Who only fought other goons and lived by a code, so if the league took advantage of him, he didn't go above and beyond that role. He didnt draw a line that he needed to fight and that was it. He was a bloody maniac.
I can see your point, but let's not forget, the roofing company allowed and encouraged (at tacitly) the behavior of this employee.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #64
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Wrong. And sad.

I know it's nice and safe in your security car, but these humans are facing a life after hockey that was fueled by comments like yours and people like you that only want to see tough guys punch each other in the head to fulfill your lust of blood and injury.

Chris Simon did punch people in the head for a living but the NHL did nothing about it and didn't help the players at all with life after hockey and with life during hockey. They knew about concussions and didn't step in sooner.

Screw the NHL and anyone who belittles these players for standing up for what's right.
God you're such a pathetic human being and stupid comments like that are why nobody can stand you on this board. As for the players, guys like Simon knew the risks of the job for the style he plays. So should boxers be able to sue the boxing organizations? How about UFC fighters? What about a guy in the military? Should they be able to sue the government if they get injured in the line of duty? Hockey players know the risk when they pursue playing it as a career, especially enforcers. So like I said, for a guy like Chris Simon this is absolutely a cash grab.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #65
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
God you're such a pathetic human being and stupid comments like that are why nobody can stand you on this board. As for the players, guys like Simon knew the risks of the job for the style he plays. So should boxers be able to sue the boxing organizations? How about UFC fighters? What about a guy in the military? Should they be able to sue the government if they get injured in the line of duty? Hockey players know the risk when they pursue playing it as a career, especially enforcers. So like I said, for a guy like Chris Simon this is absolutely a cash grab.
Is that the case? It seems to me it will be a big issue in the suit. This is a guy with a very limited education, who, I suspect, has a good case that he relied on his team, his league and his union to provide him with both information and protection.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #66
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is that the case? It seems to me it will be a big issue in the suit. This is a guy with a very limited education, who, I suspect, has a good case that he relied on his team,his team medical staff his league and his union to provide him with both information and protection.
Don't forget them......

Quote:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #67
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Don't forget them......
I kinda lumped them in with his team.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #68
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is that the case? It seems to me it will be a big issue in the suit. This is a guy with a very limited education, who, I suspect, has a good case that he relied on his team, his league and his union to provide him with both information and protection.
Yeah probably but it's intuitively dumb. Like he didn't know getting hit in the head causes long term head damage? C'mon, how else do you spell that out to someone? I'm sorry but a 5 year understands it's not a good idea to bonk your head because that feeling of pain sucks. What did he think was going to happen? He'd get smarter receiving blows to the skull?

Of course constant abuse of your most sensitive tissue is going to have long term health effects. Simon knew that. Every time he'd have tunnel vision for hours after a fight, memory loss, nausea, and anxiety, you know he was thinking "####, I don't think I can do this for much longer" or "I'm getting to old for this".

I don't buy it for a second Simon wasn't aware. You don't need research briefings to tell you that somethings are just bad for you.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah probably but it's intuitively dumb. Like he didn't know getting hit in the head causes long term head damage? C'mon, how else do you spell that out to someone? I'm sorry but a 5 year understands it's not a good idea to bonk your head because that feeling of pain sucks. What did he think was going to happen? He'd get smarter receiving blows to the skull?

Of course constant abuse of your most sensitive tissue is going to have long term health effects. Simon knew that. Every time he'd have tunnel vision for hours after a fight, memory loss, nausea, and anxiety, you know he was thinking "####, I don't think I can do this for much longer" or "I'm getting to old for this".

I don't buy it for a second Simon wasn't aware. You don't need research briefings to tell you that somethings are just bad for you.
You know it hurts, but do you know it causes permanent brain damage without being told that? I kinda doubt it. If so, all the NFL suits are without merit, and we know they have been far from that.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #70
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You know it hurts, but do you know it causes permanent brain damage without being told that? I kinda doubt it. If so, all the NFL suits are without merit, and we know they have been far from that.
I'm not suggesting the legalities are without merit. But then again, since when did the legal process makes sense?

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/t...olous-lawsuits

Quote:
In September 1988, two Akron, Ohio-based carpet layers named Gordon Falker and Gregory Roach were severely burned when a three and a half gallon container of carpet adhesive ignited when the hot water heater it was sitting next to kicked on. Both men felt the warning label on the back of the can was insufficient. Words like "flammable" and "keep away from heat" didn't prepare them for the explosion. They filed suit against the adhesive manufacturers, Para-Chem. A jury obviously agreed since the men were awarded $8 million for their troubles.
You don't think he knew that REPEATED blows to the head every other night for 700+ evenings wouldn't result in permanent damage? You don't think he knew that during his 4th or even 10th concussion when he's puking and can't stand bright lights? Chris Simon must have had close to 150 hockey fights in his career. There's 121 over the course of his pro career.

I have a really hard time believing that.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #71
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not suggesting the legalities are without merit. But then again, since when did the legal process makes sense?

You don't think he knew that REPEATED blows to the head every other night for 700+ evenings wouldn't result in permanent damage? You don't think he knew that during his 4th or even 10th concussion when he's puking and can't stand bright lights? Chris Simon must have had close to 150 hockey fights in his career. There's 121 over the course of his pro career.

That's how I feel too. I don't think the NHL was withholding some super secret, groundbreaking information regarding head injury. Playing in the NHL is a dangerous job and certain roles are more dangerous, like the designated goon of old. I'm pretty sure when I was a teenager and preteen, I knew that repeated head injury can turn you into a "jelly head" as we used to call it.

Is Chris Simon really arguing he wasn't aware that his chosen role was dangerous? Some other posters mentioned it earlier, but even if he had the latest cutting edge research sitting in front of him before every game, would he seriously have changed anything? I doubt he would.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Were you as a fan worried that it could happen? Or give it a second thought? I didn't, and I have a lot more education that Simon's high school.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #73
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
That's how I feel too. I don't think the NHL was withholding some super secret, groundbreaking information regarding head injury. Playing in the NHL is a dangerous job and certain roles are more dangerous, like the designated goon of old. I'm pretty sure when I was a teenager and preteen, I knew that repeated head injury can turn you into a "jelly head" as we used to call it.

Is Chris Simon really arguing he wasn't aware that his chosen role was dangerous? Some other posters mentioned it earlier, but even if he had the latest cutting edge research sitting in front of him before every game, would he seriously have changed anything? I doubt he would.
I haven't read the claim, but I would imagine he is saying he didn't that permanent brain damage was as likely as it turns out is it (and that the NHL knew it and did nothing). Especially in a league where fighting is condoned, if not actively encouraged (see the videos of Cherry, D.).
Old 05-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #74
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Were you as a fan worried that it could happen? Or give it a second thought? I didn't, and I have a lot more education that Simon's high school.
Worried? God no. But I can live with myself knowing my purchases of NHL 17 and jerseys and cable packages and tickets indirectly caused their brain damage. I can live them currently fighting and would continue to cheer for two men beating each other senseless. If they all get CTE I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Firstly, all aspects of life carry risk. I know theres a risk of death when I drive my car down the street or pig out on some delicious chicken legs. I can die from cancer from enjoying the lovely Summer weather.

Secondly, If people are so dumb they're going to risk permanent brain damage for money and a sport, who am I to care or worry, if they do not? If some circus clown is so eager to make me laugh that he cuts his arms off juggling chainsaws, then who am I to pompously refuse to clap while he's risking his life for me?

What, it's only after the sad stories are we supposed to reflect on our behavior and rally for change? No, I think about my decisions before I make them and consider the impacts before they come to fruition.

I would expect the same of Chris Simon

Last edited by MarkGio; 05-16-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #75
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think the NHL was withholding some super secret, groundbreaking information regarding head injury..
come on now. that is like saying the tobacco companies didn't withhold information about the effects of inhaling. you can be certain the NHL had information it didn't reveal. why else do they have an army of lawyers fighting this every step of the way. At the end of the day the players will have to take some responsibility for their injuries, but this lawsuit is about the NHL denying any liability whatsoever. The league can only lose this one.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #76
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
come on now. that is like saying the tobacco companies didn't withhold information about the effects of inhaling. you can be certain the NHL had information it didn't reveal. why else do they have an army of lawyers fighting this every step of the way. At the end of the day the players will have to take some responsibility for their injuries, but this lawsuit is about the NHL denying any liability whatsoever. The league can only lose this one.
What piece of information could they possibly have kept secret? Don't we all know multiple concussions lead to long term injury?

If you injury any part of your body multiple times, your gonna suffer long term effects. It's not rocket surgery.

Did the NHL encourage fights, of course. Look at all the information available today yet people gleefully watch guys get knocked the #### out in UFC, boxing and other combat sports. Is the UFC withholding info? No. Yet guys still beat each other chasing a paycheck.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #77
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What piece of information could they possibly have kept secret? Don't we all know multiple concussions lead to long term injury?

If you injury any part of your body multiple times, your gonna suffer long term effects. It's not rocket surgery.

Did the NHL encourage fights, of course. Look at all the information available today yet people gleefully watch guys get knocked the #### out in UFC, boxing and other combat sports. Is the UFC withholding info? No. Yet guys still beat each other chasing a paycheck.
If only you were alive back then...could have saved hundreds of millions of dollars in research with your great knowledge that came to you naturally at birth.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
If only you were alive back then...could have saved hundreds of millions of dollars in research with your great knowledge that came to you naturally at birth.
I was alive. Your attempt at a smart ass post falls pathetically short yet again. You really are the worst poster.

When Stevens was head hunting and tough guys like Hatcher were regularly bashing heads in, people knew it led to concussions and that multiple concussions lead to long term problems.

There is no groundbreaking information that has come out since then except that now there is a new name for the condition, CTE.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #79
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just love how many lawyers we have on here. I know where I will be going when I get hurt at work, glad to have you guys waiting to help!!
MrMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #80
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I just love how many lawyers we have on here. I know where I will be going when I get hurt at work, glad to have you guys waiting to help!!
If you get hit at work and are just a regular guy, lawyers are pretty much usurped. WCB is all you get.

Tags
concussions , crosby in 15 years , lawsuit , the nhl is stupid