Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #121
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Why does HBO hate Canada? I mean, I pay my money!
HBO Canada is not the same as HBO proper. It's run under a Bell Media Canada owned subsidiary The Movie Network (TMN) that purchases content from HBO proper. My guess is Bell bought the rights for all HBO video content and brand name but didn't buy the web content and presence for Canada.

Such is the horribleness that is content licensing and region locking

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-17-2016 at 01:19 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #122
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watched all 3 episodes yesterday. What a great, interesting concept for a show. I'm really enjoying it so far. We too are trying to keep track of how many times Teddy is going to die. It's almost funny. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Ed Harris' character and why he's so malicious. What a great villain. I love Thandie Newton's character as well. Glad I started watching.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #123
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also go to the site and chat with the automated assistant without an adblocker by just using https://discoverwestworld.com/?forceus

As for aversions to actions, I think the programming goes further than that. It's significant that we were shown the camp group stuck in a loop because no one could take the axe and chop the wood (while the stray was wandering). Their programming simply didn't allow them to use the ax at all, full stop. Same with Dolores when she couldn't shoot the gun when Teddy was training her. It's significant that her conversations with Bernard and her emerging consciousness allowed her to get around her programming.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #124
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll spoiler this in case people don't want to know details form the website, I asked some questions. Very interesting answers if you ask the right stuff...
Spoiler!

Anyone else have some good questions/answers for the bot?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #125
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other guys couldn't touch the axe whereas Delores could always touch the gun. The axe being a physical weapon is likely handled different then the guns with rubber bullets.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #126
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reddit thread on the website stuff here...
https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/c...site_go_there/
Old 10-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #127
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone else have some good questions/answers for the bot?
Spoiler!

Anyone else find it odd that Dr. Ford is acting almost opposite of the first two episodes? I always thought he was the one trying to introduce consciousness to the hosts but now he seems to be cutting them up and trying to stop it? Seems to be blaming Arnold for everything instead.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #128
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I still have no idea what's going on.

This is going to be one of those shows where we never find out what's really going on until the very end isn't it? When the show's ratings drop and the writers have to make up an ending all of a sudden.

We'll find out in the end that humanity is long extinct and all the humans are actually just ghosts in the code that the robots still see, stuck in their infinite loops of nascent consciousness.

/Lost
Old 10-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #129
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Spoiler!

Anyone else find it odd that Dr. Ford is acting almost opposite of the first two episodes? I always thought he was the one trying to introduce consciousness to the hosts but now he seems to be cutting them up and trying to stop it? Seems to be blaming Arnold for everything instead.
He starts of by saying to Delores in the first episode I'm not your friend, no I wouldn't say that at all. So I think it's been consistent. He's more of an old testement God.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #130
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Place your cursor outside of the window where you type to the assistant, and hold down the Shift key.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #131
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the TOS from the website they mention how the guns kinda work, for those interested.

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #132
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
In the TOS from the website they mention how the guns kinda work, for those interested.

Spoiler!
I don't believe this is what happened.
Spoiler!

Last edited by cDnStealth; 10-17-2016 at 10:46 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #133
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

That's the way I saw it, as a flashback.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #134
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's her PTSD flashback.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:53 AM   #135
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right, OK, forgot about that bit.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #136
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I still have no idea what's going on.

This is going to be one of those shows where we never find out what's really going on until the very end isn't it? When the show's ratings drop and the writers have to make up an ending all of a sudden.

We'll find out in the end that humanity is long extinct and all the humans are actually just ghosts in the code that the robots still see, stuck in their infinite loops of nascent consciousness.

/Lost
I think like lost you will have to except metaphysical answers as opposed to hard science answers.

My favourite reveal option is that Bernard the employees are just androids too with a different level of consciousness programmed into them. As why would you have humans do anything if an Android could do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #137
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think like lost you will have to except metaphysical answers as opposed to hard science answers.

My favourite reveal option is that Bernard the employees are just androids too with a different level of consciousness programmed into them. As why would you have humans do anything if an Android could do it.
Would explain why Bernard isn't around. Maybe Dr. Ford killed all the humans. Then he replaced them with androids. In order to build consciousness, he needs to give the illusion to the androids that they're real.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #138
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

did anyone catch the fly on the camera during the flames vs oilers broadcast? reminded me of this show lol
me_dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #139
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm definitely trying to tone down the wild conspiracy theories.

I'm happy just watching the show to enjoy the story and to enjoy the themes of what it means to be human, right and wrong, entertainment/violence etc.

That's not to say I'm not interested in the maze or Delores overwriting her programming etc. but I really felt like True Detective, a character driven story, got insanely overhyped with the yellow king theories and had people disappointed with the finale simply because it didn't solve some grand conspiracy and have a wild, shocking reveal. When I watch it now, which I did not too long ago, it is funny to think how obsessed the internet was with coming up with insane theories of who the killer was and that the cult were basically like the Illuminati or something.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy a lot of the talk in this thread. I just think there's a limit to the wildness of the conspiracy theories before you'll end up building it up way more in your head than the writers ever intended.

I highly doubt they are going to pull a lost and intentionally build up a bunch of hype and legit have no clue how to give any payoff.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #140
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the website, I have no doubt they have a lot more layers here than is visible just by watching the show for the character story. There is a lot more here, and there is meant to be a lot more, than True Detective. I am a little worried about the prospect of another Lost. Hopefully they don't make it up as they go this time.