Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2022, 11:10 PM   #2001
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It’s all anecdotes in this thread. Nobody has offered up any data showing dog ownership in general has gotten “out of control” in Calgary, or that most users find off-leash parks dangerous or useless.

Maybe your petition to close down Calgary’s off-leash parks will raise the profile of the issue. You’ve got four or five people on CP onboard, so it’s off to a great start.
I don't need to pay taxes for someone to count dog #### to tell you that people leave dog #### all over the city.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:27 AM   #2002
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I don't need to pay taxes for someone to count dog #### to tell you that people leave dog #### all over the city.
A lot of dog owners are negligent about picking up their dog's droppings. And then there are those who do pick it up but deposit it in other people's garbage bins.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #2003
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Boy howdy, this turned into an anti-dog/dog owner discussion. Anywho, if the systems in place had reduced the risk of deaths to a frequency equal to or less than death by lightning strike, would you consider that adequate?

The response, I'm sure, will be "one death is too many". That poor woman and her surviving family went through, is going through, the worst of tragedies. No one could argue that. Those dogs should be euthanized and I'm sure they will be. That owner, will likely be punished as they should be.

Every system requires tweaks and continuous improvement. Not sure if a complete overhaul, and the money/resources required to implement a complete overhaul of the dog control system, would be supported by statistics.

The dog attack which bumped this thread, or any dog attack, is terrible but dogs in general bring far more good to society than bad. Especially in the field of mental health (I would put a link in, but a Google of "dogs and mental health" will bring up all the reading material one would need if you feel that statement has no foundation).
Yeah, this is such BS, though. It's too individual and entirely discounts the negative affects dogs have on people. It's basically saying - getting a thing you like makes you happy you have that thing. Yeah, no ####. Holidays are good for mental health. Relaxing is good for mental health. Going out with friends is good for mental health. Of course dogs are good for mental health for the people that like dogs, but there are many of us who are affected negatively because of dogs.

If you're so inclined, check out the subreddits r/Dogfree and r/Talesfromthedoghouse.

Dogs can make people's lives absolutely miserable. Especially in circumstances where minors are living in their parents' multi-dog homes and have to deal with poorly behaved dogs, dirty living conditions, feces, barf and urine in their home as well as non-stop barking.

Below are some examples of what I'm talking about. Warning: a lot of the stories and situations are heartbreaking when one person in a family places their dog(s) on a pedestal above the other humans living in the house. Furthermore, there are a lot of people posting about dogs killing other animals and maiming people. Just awful, but important to educate yourself on.

My 7 year old son was killed by a dog. Tonight a different dog snapped at me. It drew blood. I'm done.
Quote:
On October 20th I found my 7 year old son dead in our back yard. The full story is in my post history. I dont want to type it all again and relive it. It's still very fresh and traumatic in the minds of my wife and myself. We will never recover from how we found him. What he looked like. That night we stated no more large breeds. Maybe a chihuahua or somthing would be fine. Tonight a different dog that weve had for over a year snapped at my hand and drew blood because I was trying to keep it from taking a piece of pork my wife had tossed one of our cats. I've called animal control. MIL is furious. I will not tolerate any violent animals around myself or my wife. Shes all I have left. No more dogs. Ever.
Brb guys, I'm going to go to my backyard and yell as loud as I can at a leaf for a few hours straight.
Quote:
Hope my neighbors won't mind. It's just me being me. If they don't like it, they can wear earplugs or something. It's just what I do.
When someone says "I like dogs more than people"
Quote:
I hear "I have stunted emotional growth and am socially immature. I prefer relationships that require no real work, but like the illusion of continuing to have some sort of emotional connection even though the relationship is a facade because it requires no actual work or sacrifice on my part. In conclusion I am highly offensive to strangers by informing them I consider them less than an animal because it is easier to externalize my problems rather than perform meaningful introspection."

Does anyone else feel this way?
I’m FUMING. My cousins dog had to be put down after biting his 2 yr old in the face. A year later, (today) his wife makes a TRIBUTE post to the ####ing dogs with pictures of it with their kids!!! WTF?!?
Quote:
I'm so sorry big boy. I know you didn't mean what happened last year. You were such a beautiful and gentle boy. I'm sorry I was so angry that I couldn't tell you I loved you. I'm sorry that life happened the way it did. I miss your greetings when we visit. I miss your cuddles. I forgive you Bleuski. I hope you're getting all the cuddles and belly rubs up there. I love you forever. #alldogsgotoheaven
Pitbull owners physically block and terrorize a memorial for victims of pitbull attacks, intimidating those who would have attended into leaving instead. Imagine this kind of behavior in any other context.
Quote:
Pit Bull owners and their dogs block the memorial for victims of dangerous dogs. Family of victims were afraid to attend for fear of being attacked and reoccurring PTSD issues. Six year old (pit bull attack survivor) Kaylie Baker Foster was forced to cancel her trip to this event for obvious reasons. It is so cruel and sad because this is such a healing event for survivors and family of victims to honor those who did not survive. The attack on pit bull survivor/victims is never over.
Boyfriends pitbull
Quote:
Jesus I never realized how utterly disgusting dogs are until I started living with one. Here’s a few of the stupid and disgusting stuff he’s done:

tried to kill my cat

licks his shrivelled penis ferociously all the time, especially when I’m trying to sleep

pukes and then eats it

####s wherever he wants

breath smells like a ####ing dead body

licks everything

breathes

goes on my bed if I leave the bedroom door open (to which he gets in BIG trouble, doesn’t ####ing learn)

stares at you and is ####ing annoying when you are trying to cook or eat food

eats out of the garbage

pissed in my nice new cloth laundry hamper

whacks his hard-ass tail off of walls and makes it bleed, sprays blood all over my goddamn house

I could go on for HOURS of all the stupid disgusting #### this idiot dog does. Odin, #### you mutt.
I could go on forever. I just grabbed random posts, too. Wasn't looking for anything to prove any specific point. Just showing that dogs don't equal good mental health. They literally torture people.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #2004
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you really subscribe to a sub-reddit called Dogfree? I may have to re-assess my opinions of you if you do
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #2005
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Those stories are insane, Sliver. The first one gets me the most, not just for how sad it is, but how is YOUR 7 YEAR OLD CHILD DYING NOT THE FINAL STRAW FOR YOU AND DOGS?

Insane.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:29 PM   #2006
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A woman from Witchekan First Nation says she's mourning after two dogs attacked and killed her older brother while he was mowing a neighbour's lawn.
Quote:
The Thomas family says the dogs were seized but it’s not enough, they’re hoping that charges will be laid and the owners will take responsibility for their actions.

The family claims there have been other incidents involving the dogs.

"We want the maximum amount of charges because this has happened four times with those dogs, they have attacked four people and this has caused death now," Giselle said.
https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/everybo...dogs-1.5948665
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #2007
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, this is such BS, though. It's too individual and entirely discounts the negative affects dogs have on people. It's basically saying - getting a thing you like makes you happy you have that thing. Yeah, no ####. Holidays are good for mental health. Relaxing is good for mental health. Going out with friends is good for mental health. Of course dogs are good for mental health for the people that like dogs, but there are many of us who are affected negatively because of dogs.

If you're so inclined, check out the subreddits r/Dogfree and r/Talesfromthedoghouse.

Dogs can make people's lives absolutely miserable. Especially in circumstances where minors are living in their parents' multi-dog homes and have to deal with poorly behaved dogs, dirty living conditions, feces, barf and urine in their home as well as non-stop barking.

Below are some examples of what I'm talking about. Warning: a lot of the stories and situations are heartbreaking when one person in a family places their dog(s) on a pedestal above the other humans living in the house. Furthermore, there are a lot of people posting about dogs killing other animals and maiming people. Just awful, but important to educate yourself on.

My 7 year old son was killed by a dog. Tonight a different dog snapped at me. It drew blood. I'm done.

Brb guys, I'm going to go to my backyard and yell as loud as I can at a leaf for a few hours straight.

When someone says "I like dogs more than people"

I’m FUMING. My cousins dog had to be put down after biting his 2 yr old in the face. A year later, (today) his wife makes a TRIBUTE post to the ####ing dogs with pictures of it with their kids!!! WTF?!?

Pitbull owners physically block and terrorize a memorial for victims of pitbull attacks, intimidating those who would have attended into leaving instead. Imagine this kind of behavior in any other context.

Boyfriends pitbull

I could go on forever. I just grabbed random posts, too. Wasn't looking for anything to prove any specific point. Just showing that dogs don't equal good mental health. They literally torture people.
You put some effort into that. We could go back and forth all day with terrible heart breaking stories vs amazing heart warming stories when it comes to dogs. You don't like dogs and there are some terrible ones out there. Neither is debatable.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 02:01 PM   #2008
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, always have. Heck, I just love animals in general. But as someone who also loves cats, I think the average person's view of dogs vs their view of cats to be a little unfair:

Many people hate cats because of that one jerk cat your friend had back in the day that hissed and scratched you that one time, despite the vast majority of cat encounters being positive. Meanwhile, people love dogs unabashedly, though I've had WAY more negative dog encounters than cat encounters. E.g.: how many times has a dog lost its mind barking at you as you walked by someone's house and startled you, stepped in their poop, or they acted aggressively (charged at you, as mentioned in the thread), maybe nipped you, etc. But people just discount that and don't factor it in ("that's just instinct/dogs being dogs"). As mentioned, just go to a dog park and you're almost guaranteed to see a negative dog encounter there somewhere.

I just think many people will have one negative encounter with a cat and just hate all cats forever, whereas they could have 10 times as many negative encounters with a dog and always give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe because cats are standoffish and solitary, whereas dogs are more social and needy/attention-seeking, which is seen as cute and silly...idk. Just my semi-off topic 2 cents.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 02:59 PM   #2009
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This part of that article is wild to me:

Quote:
The family claims there have been other incidents involving the dogs.

"We want the maximum amount of charges because this has happened four times with those dogs, they have attacked four people and this has caused death now," Giselle said.
Four separate attacks. Sounds like that person living there kept them for protection in a remote area, this is just speculation on my part. That has got to be the only reason you would keep aggressive dogs, it is hard to comprehend this story. Sounds like there is a problem with loose dogs on this reserve as well, seems like a common issue.

This is really sad, but no mention of the breeds of these two dogs.

Last edited by foshizzle11; 06-16-2022 at 03:02 PM.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #2010
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Should we play Guess the Breed on the latest newsworthy dog attack in Alberta?

Eight-year-old boy bit on the face while at day camp and 17-year-old camp councilor bit on her arm trying to save the boy. Both taken to hospital in Lethbridge.

And the dog breed is...
Spoiler!

Wishing both a speedy recovery and a world of legal hurt on the POS owners.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #2011
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow these guys are getting the book thrown at them with this fatal dog attack.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/dog-owner...nior-1.5995055

Dennis Bagaric and Talyn Calkins, the owners of the three dogs, face a combined 12 charges under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw including:

Three counts of animal attack on a person causing severe injury;
Three counts of animal attack to a person;
Three counts of animal bite to a person; and,
Three counts of animal running at large.
Bagaric and Calkins are scheduled to appear in court and a conviction on any of their charges carries a maximum fine of $10,000 or up to six months in prison.

A criminal investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #2012
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
carries a maximum fine of $10,000 or up to six months in prison.
Not even close to enough for a death.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #2013
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A suitable punishment would be enforcing dog bylaws on Nose Hill. They'd probably get killed in the first week.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #2014
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
You put some effort into that. We could go back and forth all day with terrible heart breaking stories vs amazing heart warming stories when it comes to dogs. You don't like dogs and there are some terrible ones out there. Neither is debatable.
It would be pretty easy to skew the balance of tragedy/heart warming more towards heart warming almost instantly.....stop allowing citizens who live in urban areas to have dogs bred for the purpose of killing.

I do not see why someone living in the city needs a dog that has been bred to have maximum bite force. It's absolutely absurd. With any other aspect of life and society we wouldn't let someone just take a more dangerous option merely because it looks cool.

It would be like allowing people to weld some kind of giant spike to the front of their car, because it looks cool. It's just creating a hazard for no reason, and I just don't get why it's allowed.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #2015
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Not even close to enough for a death.
If the criminal case is opened, it could lead to a conviction for criminal negligence or potentially even manslaughter. Obviously that's going to depend on how much knowledge the owners had, or should have had, about how likely an attack was going to be and what precautions they took to mitigate that risk.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:03 PM   #2016
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If the criminal case is opened, it could lead to a conviction for criminal negligence or potentially even manslaughter. Obviously that's going to depend on how much knowledge the owners had, or should have had, about how likely an attack was going to be and what precautions they took to mitigate that risk.
But in all fairness we know even with that nothing even close to a punishment will happen. Wait and see I guess.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:14 PM   #2017
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
But in all fairness we know even with that nothing even close to a punishment will happen. Wait and see I guess.
It's not unheard of, and this case is pretty high profile. But yes, we'll wait and see. I'd love to see the book being thrown at these people. Dog owners are constantly going on about personal responsibility and how it's only the "bad owners" who are causing the issues....so let's throw the book at a bad owner. You want to own a dangerous dog? Then be prepared for a harsh penalty when things go wrong. I would like to see a judgement that specifically calls out owners of specific breeds, and holds them responsible for the carnage those breeds can cause.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 12:19 PM   #2018
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the city is going to allow these breads, they should at least have special rules like never being off leash(even in their yard), having muzzles when in public, mandatory training courses, etc. You have to register, so the city should know. Increase fines, add jail time for breaches. Make people really really want to own them and deal with the extra work to keep the public safe.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #2019
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

These two have open Instagram accounts and appear to have zero remorse for what happened.

https://www.instagram.com/father_and_sons_bulliez/

https://www.instagram.com/alpha_queenb/

https://www.instagram.com/untam3_a_bull_bagaric/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 12:55 PM   #2020
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
These two have open Instagram accounts and appear to have zero remorse for what happened.

https://www.instagram.com/father_and_sons_bulliez/

https://www.instagram.com/alpha_queenb/

https://www.instagram.com/untam3_a_bull_bagaric/
Should not have expected any different, but talk about Karmic arrangements. This guy has a social media page about not banning pitbulls from prior to this incident and his pitbulls go and kill someone.

This is the metaphorical sign people are looking for.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking