Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #341
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it's stubbornness Locke - I think they were trying to prove to Modric and other players that they are serious about competing for that 4th spot and getting back into the Champions League.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #342
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I agree, at this point Spurs are just being stubborn and holding onto him because they said they would. I'd have taken £40M for the sulky holdout in a heartbeat.

Its similar to when Torres was sold, he was pouty and sulking and just bringing the team down so they sold him and said good riddance, spent the money on players who wanted to be there and to play.

It'd be a much better piece of business to jettison Modric and use the cash to more than adequately replace him.
Yeah, I agree. Although, it would've been tricky finding a replacement for him this late in the window. Not sure why Chelsea didn't offer this in the first place.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #343
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I agree. Although, it would've been tricky finding a replacement for him this late in the window. Not sure why Chelsea didn't offer this in the first place.
But not impossible. Dalglish did the Torres for Carroll/Suarez deal on the last day.

I assumed Spurs were just driving the price up.

There is no way you're going to get a well motivated Modric when he knows that his employers are forcing him to leave £100,000/week on the table.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #344
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz1Wdntz4QQ

I agree, at this point Spurs are just being stubborn and holding onto him because they said they would. I'd have taken £40M for the sulky holdout in a heartbeat.

Its similar to when Torres was sold, he was pouty and sulking and just bringing the team down so they sold him and said good riddance, spent the money on players who wanted to be there and to play.

It'd be a much better piece of business to jettison Modric and use the cash to more than adequately replace him.
ya if it was 2 weeks ago maybe, but at this point it makes no sense because they have no time to bring someone else in

if Chelsea hadn't put forth the embarrassing 22m offer a few months ago and had started at 40 he would probably be there

most likely scenario is he plays hard and gets sold next summer, hopefully in something like July, and they have time to use the money

Arsenal are in shambles because they waited so long

United sold Ronaldo quickly and got on with their business

Spurs had 1 choice, keep him or make the season a wash
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #345
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

My bet is Modric is gone in Jan for 45mill.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #346
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
upper half?

It's top 3 with city and united, Chelsea would be there with Essien, Arsenal would be there with Fabregas

I don't think anyone else is even close to those 5 either way
No way. Parker? Huddlestone? Even Sandro whom I really like, they're fringe internationals at best. Sure, guys like Bale and Lennon give excellent width, but Lennon got stones for brains.

Yeah, upper half. Somewhere there....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #347
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who do you have as better? The Scouse I suppose?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #348
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ya if it was 2 weeks ago maybe, but at this point it makes no sense because they have no time to bring someone else in

if Chelsea hadn't put forth the embarrassing 22m offer a few months ago and had started at 40 he would probably be there

most likely scenario is he plays hard and gets sold next summer, hopefully in something like July, and they have time to use the money

Arsenal are in shambles because they waited so long

United sold Ronaldo quickly and got on with their business

Spurs had 1 choice, keep him or make the season a wash
It cant seriously all depend on him. I used to feel that way about Gerrard and Torres a few seasons ago and knowing that the dquad is that fragile and having owners that you knew would never kick in some cash when you need some.

But if the whole season is a wash if Modric up and leaves then management isnt putting together a decent squad.

I agree about waiting so late, I just disagree about the focus being all on one player.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #349
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No way. Parker? Huddlestone? Even Sandro whom I really like, they're fringe internationals at best. Sure, guys like Bale and Lennon give excellent width, but Lennon got stones for brains.

Yeah, upper half. Somewhere there....
Parker will be England's holding midfielder at least through the Euro's

Modric is a top 10 cm in the world, arguably top 5 or 6

Huddlestone is a fringe England player yes

Sandro is young, but has a ton of potential as a destroyer

like was said above, who is better really outside the Mancs
Old 08-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #350
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It cant seriously all depend on him. I used to feel that way about Gerrard and Torres a few seasons ago and knowing that the dquad is that fragile and having owners that you knew would never kick in some cash when you need some.

But if the whole season is a wash if Modric up and leaves then management isnt putting together a decent squad.

I agree about waiting so late, I just disagree about the focus being all on one player.
He's been their best player the past few seasons, Bale and VdV get all the publicity but he has ran the team

Not saying it would be a complete wash, i.e they would still be a top 6 side

but without Modric, or that 40m being spent somewhere, they would not finish top 4
Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #351
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm Levy, I tell Modric that I'll sell him in January provided the right price comes along and there's time to find a replacement. Until then, shut up and play.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #352
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say though, 18m from Crouch and Palacios, and losing the wages of Hutton and Jenas

all dead weight no argument, although I really hope Palacios regains his form for Stoke, but only 5m spent on Parker and Ade brought in on loan

Levy has money to spend
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #353
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Parker will be England's holding midfielder at least through the Euro's

Modric is a top 10 cm in the world, arguably top 5 or 6

Huddlestone is a fringe England player yes

Sandro is young, but has a ton of potential as a destroyer

like was said above, who is better really outside the Mancs
Well, using that rationale:

- Sandro cant displace Lucas Leiva for Brazil

- Being England's holding midfielder isnt saying much

- Modric is top talent, wont argue that point

- Huddlestone really isnt anything special. Heavy shot from distance

I just went around looking at some of the midfields in the league, other than United, City, Chelsea (somewhat), Liverpool and Spurs the midfields are rather weak.

If I had to pick a team with the best midfield in the league I have to take City. Hard to compete with a central MF of Nasri/Silva/Toure/De Jong.

You want a destroyer? Nigel De Jong is a full blooded one with an impressive CV.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #354
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I will say though, 18m from Crouch and Palacios, and losing the wages of Hutton and Jenas

all dead weight no argument, although I really hope Palacios regains his form for Stoke, but only 5m spent on Parker and Ade brought in on loan

Levy has money to spend
He has an hour to spend it OR I hope we're still in the hunt when it's time to spend again.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #355
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If I'm Levy, I tell Modric that I'll sell him in January provided the right price comes along and there's time to find a replacement. Until then, shut up and play.
Unfortunately, thats really the only option left.

Quote:

Levy has money to spend
Finally got rid of Crouch. Theres money there, but it doesnt look like they're too keen to do anything much with it.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #356
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm kind of laughing here, theres this flurry of activity and all Liverpool are doing in the meantime is trying to get Craig Bellamy on a free.

Not that exciting.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #357
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were smart and got it all done in July, and it's probably got them 3 points at least in the first 3 games

Spurs and Arsenal waited and have 'serious relegation fears'
Old 08-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #358
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

PaulEaton_LFC Paul Eaton
by Zonal_Marking
Raul Meireles has submitted a written transfer request
Old 08-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #359
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

YossiBenayoun15 Yossi Benayoun
by laura_mail
I sign with arsenal,very happy and excited about it,but now my head is only in the game against grecce on friday,thanks for the support.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #360
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They were smart and got it all done in July, and it's probably got them 3 points at least in the first 3 games

Spurs and Arsenal waited and have 'serious relegation fears'
I always hate that, lose a couple games early on and you have 'serious relegation' fears.

I was afraid of that for Liverpool last season, Woy was terrible and there was a good chance the club would go into receivership.

Its still early yet. 2 games isnt 'serious fear.'

Closed Thread