Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #61
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
For someone that can do stats.......

How often would we expect a team that finishes 10th to win a top 3 pick under this new system?

Like once every ten years type of thing?
Yes, pretty much exactly. I haven't run the full and exact range of odds, but the 10th place team (i.e. 21st overall) would have a roughly 10% chance of getting lucky, give or take. So 1 in 10 years kind of thing.

The bubble team (14 slot) has about a 3% chance, meaning once in 33 years, so in all likelihood, this will happen the first year they do this.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #62
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Not a fan of the added element of randomness. Or the lottery period. What was wrong with the worst team gets best pick thing again? Why is there movement to get away from that? 10 points if you can make an answer that doesn't include whining about the Oilers
The system breaks when teams recognize that it's good to be terrible for stretches of time so that they can draft elite talent. The current system strongly incentivizes tanking.

The new system makes a 30th place finish much less valuable, so it encourages teams to actually try to finish higher than 30th place.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #63
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
The first and second last teams will have a better chance to win the lotteries, so not sure what your point is?
I replied to the Oiler fan. I thought the satire to be obvious.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #64
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Isn't he an Oilers homer?

Surprised the article isn't whining about the chances being reduced for Edmonton's shot at 1st OA.
Because he's deluded enough to think the Oilers are actually going to do something aside from suck the bag again.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #65
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
The system breaks when teams recognize that it's good to be terrible for stretches of time so that they can draft elite talent. The current system strongly incentivizes tanking.

The new system makes a 30th place finish much less valuable, so it encourages teams to actually try to finish higher than 30th place.
What team, outside of Pittsburgh that one time, is not trying to be better than dead last? Hockey revenue is gate driven and there's too much instability. Look at Phoenix: if they could afford it, they shouldve tanked years ago. Is this really the issue at the moment?

I personally think this is about talent distribution and managing salaries. I would assume that its in the leagues interest to have a faster cycle.for teams and shorter rebuilds, but RFAs getting ice exposure, and therefore more points, are yeilding equal salaries than UFAs. Having a player incubate on the depth chart reduces 24 year old salaries.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #66
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

...so we're going to see some team 1 or 2 spots below the playoff line pick in the top 3 pretty regularly with that system, right? Something like once in every 4 years?

I like it.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:32 AM   #67
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still wish the entire first round would be selected by weighted lottery. The Crosby draft lottery was exciting viewing for fans of every NHL team.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #68
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

the more i think of this, the more i don't like it.

the point of hte draft is to provide teams that sucked an advantage in getting better. i believe with the new approach the worst team in the league, could fall all the way down to 4th pick in the draft.

Bad teams need a "get out of jail" card, and the draft was somethign that helped the organization, but also helped retain fan excitement as all that suffering can be offset with hope for the future.

The problem is teams not even attempting to ice an NHL roster over a period of years while they go thru this "rebuild" phase. it hurts the competition in the league which is bad for the overall league. Of course it's also very bad for the specific markets. Owners/Management have to have buy in that the 'rebuild' will likely cost them money most of the time (ie. fans aren't ponying up $$$ for tickets, jerseys, etc), as well as potential mid-long term brand damage.

My solution to the problem would be to somehow penalize a team who finished in the bottom X (let's say 3) last year, where they can at best draft at the position of x or x+1 in the following year. One would think that there is enough incentive on management to win more than they lose (ie. staying competitive should lead to more fan involvement in the brand) but the issue i suppose is what good is being mediocre and fighting for that 9-12 position team in each conference.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #69
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I still wish the entire first round would be selected by weighted lottery. The Crosby draft lottery was exciting viewing for fans of every NHL team.
The playoffs are exciting too, but only 16 teams make it.

Imagine where the Flames would be if we picked at around 10 these last two seasons.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #70
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
...so we're going to see some team 1 or 2 spots below the playoff line pick in the top 3 pretty regularly with that system, right? Something like once in every 4 years?

I like it.
Yeah if you look at the 4 bubble teams (11th through 14th), the chances that (any) one of them getting one of the top 3 picks would be approximately 25%, so one year in 4 on average.

Of course it might not happen for 15 years or it might happen 3 of the first 4 years, but on average it should be one year in 4.

That certainly adds an element of excitement and drama to the draft lottery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #71
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What team, outside of Pittsburgh that one time, is not trying to be better than dead last? Hockey revenue is gate driven and there's too much instability. Look at Phoenix: if they could afford it, they shouldve tanked years ago. Is this really the issue at the moment?

I personally think this is about talent distribution and managing salaries. I would assume that its in the leagues interest to have a faster cycle.for teams and shorter rebuilds, but RFAs getting ice exposure, and therefore more points, are yeilding equal salaries than UFAs. Having a player incubate on the depth chart reduces 24 year old salaries.
I think "tanking" is the wrong word, but look at Buffalo last year. They traded every NHL quality player they had for picks/prospects. You can't tell me that you think Murray was trying to ice a competitive team.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #72
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I think "tanking" is the wrong word, but look at Buffalo last year. They traded every NHL quality player they had for picks/prospects. You can't tell me that you think Murray was trying to ice a competitive team.
I think Buffalo was trying to be the best organization in the East a few seasons from now by stockpiling assets. This off season was further evidence of that. Only half the teams make the playoffs and Buffalo was clearly out of contention so they improved their chances long term. Sometimes less is more.

They brought in a new coach with hopes of improving and that didn't pan out. They needed new on-ice leadership because Vanek and Miller wanted out. What else could they have done to improve their club long term?

A lot of business recapitalize in order to obtain long term growth. I don't see why the business of sports get scrutinized for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #73
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
They traded UFAs at the deadline when they were long out of it. What would you have preferred? It's not like they traded them at the start of the year.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #74
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think Buffalo was trying to be the best organization in the East a few seasons from now by stockpiling assets. This off season was further evidence of that. Only half the teams make the playoffs and Buffalo was clearly out of contention so they improved their chances long term. Sometimes less is more.

They brought in a new coach with hopes of improving and that didn't pan out. They needed new on-ice leadership because Vanek and Miller wanted out. What else could they have done to improve their club long term?

A lot of business recapitalize in order to obtain long term growth. I don't see why the business of sports get scrutinized for it.
The flip side is that every team has a responsibility to the other teams to provide a competitive product. Each team has STHs that shell out a crapload of money to watch the best hockey in the world.

I get that Buffalo wants to rebuild for the future, but the NHL also wants competitive hockey on the ice. And de-incentizing the draft as a reward for failure is one way to help accomplish that.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #75
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The playoffs are exciting too, but only 16 teams make it.

Imagine where the Flames would be if we picked at around 10 these last two seasons.
Or imagine if we picked at around 1 these last two drafts. Either scenario could occur if the entire round was selected by weighted lottery.

Of course the weighting would mean that statistically it would be most likely for the draft order to reflect the reverse order of the standings, as we have now.

But there would be that chance, however slight, that any team might select anywhere in the standings.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #76
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
They traded UFAs at the deadline when they were long out of it. What would you have preferred? It's not like they traded them at the start of the year.
Pretty much every team trades their UFAs when they're that bad, and it's fair, but the team still made themselves significantly worse short term so that they could improve long term, and that included getting a top 2 draft pick. Tanking probably isn't the right word, but they're definitely not planning on making the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Or imagine if we picked at around 1 these last two drafts. Either scenario could occur if the entire round was selected by weighted lottery.

Of course the weighting would mean that statistically it would be most likely for the draft order to reflect the reverse order of the standings, as we have now.

But there would be that chance, however slight, that any team might select anywhere in the standings.
There is no way playoff teams should be able to win the lottery. Can you imagine if the Kings or Blackhawks won the lottery this year and ended up with McDavid? I don't even think the teams that barely missed the playoffs should be in the lottery, never mind all of the elite teams.

Last edited by codynw; 08-21-2014 at 09:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #77
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #78
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The flip side is that every team has a responsibility to the other teams to provide a competitive product. Each team has STHs that shell out a crapload of money to watch the best hockey in the world.

I get that Buffalo wants to rebuild for the future, but the NHL also wants competitive hockey on the ice. And de-incentizing the draft as a reward for failure is one way to help accomplish that.
So you're saying that Buffalo has the responsibility to other NHL teams' season tickets owners to not maximize the value of their assets and to not prioritize long-term goals?

Just so much wrong with that "argument."

Buffalo is a business that is about maximizing the value of its own franchise, not the utility of people who pay Buffalo ZERO dollars. Further, Buffalo already has to cross subsidize the utility of these consumers because of the salary cap floor. You can only go so low.

The point of rewarding the worst teams is actually a much better economically rational argument to the interests of the health of all franchises. It provides hope to the worst, hope can be capitalized in ways that your misplaced sense of fairness or pride cannot.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #79
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #80
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I disagree. I don't think Walmart owes Target the courtesy of being competitive, nor do I think Walmart owes its customers the courtesy of fair prices. Its a free market, competitive business. Likewise with hockey, there's only 16 playoff teams, so there has to be losers. Even if there's 8 points separating the 1st and 30th place teams, someone has to lose and get the better selection for incoming talent.

Moreover, if STHs are dumb enough to pay for a poor product, that's their problem. No business should be handcuffed by the cries of any given customer. I'm sure some STH support the tank, while others don't. You can't please everyone, so the managers need to focus on what's good for business.