Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

According to the lawyers the settlement is conditional on confidentiality so we may never know the actual $ figures.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
And their lawyers just made 10 years worth of coin...
If they took the case on contingency, they may have earned less than their hourly rate.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would guess $2 to 3 mill. 5 at the absolute max

Anyone who think s Bertuzzi could cough up $10 or 20M is insane
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #24
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is not just his lost NHL income that he is likely suing for. By all reports, he will never hold down a normal job, and he was a Harvard educated business major (I think). He can likely argue an almost as large post-NHL income has been lost. This was not some plug that, but for the NHL, would be in a Tim Horton's flogging double-doubles.

I suspect north of $10M total, split somehow between Bertie and the Nucks.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
It is not just his lost NHL income that he is likely suing for. By all reports, he will never hold down a normal job, and he was a Harvard educated business major (I think). He can likely argue an almost as large post-NHL income has been lost. This was not some plug that, but for the NHL, would be in a Tim Horton's flogging double-doubles.

Are the Nucks part of the suit and settlement?

If so, then yes, the number could be somewhat higher
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hard to prove lost income from a job you never had is it not? Especially because this case is in Canada (wouldn't it be?)? Making the burden of proof harder than the sue happy USA?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really heavily doubt that Moore would settle for between 1 and 5 million. To be honest it wouldn't be worth his time and would be somewhat insulting.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #28
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it is a civil case vs Bert, but the league probably will owe something at some point. Surprised this isn't a three way deal. Doesn't look good when players are suing eachother
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hard to prove lost income from a job you never had is it not? Especially because this case is in Canada (wouldn't it be?)? Making the burden of proof harder than the sue happy USA?
No harder than proving that his career might have been cut short by a different injury had Bertuzzi not assaulted him. I get that you are trying to defend the Canucks at all costs, but you can't play it both ways.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I know it is a civil case vs Bert, but the league probably will owe something at some point. Surprised this isn't a three way deal. Doesn't look good when players are suing eachother
I don't believe the NHL was a party to Moore's suit.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #31
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
No, it's not hard.
Probabilities and actuarial and economist calculations determine this.
There would also be an "other contingencies" factor built into the calculations. Meaning the probability a different issue affected his career or post-career earnings, such as any other career threatening injury.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #32
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I recall he sued Bertie and the Nucks, not the NHL. There was something about a suit against Crawford as well (I think) but that might have been between Bertie and Crawford or something... I can't recall all the details because I'm an old-fart.

Yes, it is somewhat hard to prove lost income from a job you never had, but you can certainly look at a bunch of Harvard (or Ivy league school) business grads, with a high profile sports career, and look at what the average of them have gone on to do post playing career. Similar to how you can look at his NHL career to that point, look at other players NHL career to the same age with the same background, and project what his likely NHL income would have been had he not been attacked from behind.

It makes no difference that he "might" have gotten injured at some other point in his career, just like it makes no difference that he "might" have gotten hit by a car later that very night if he didn't take an ambulance to the hospital.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #33
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Any idea what Moore was earning at time of injury?

25 at time of event. Surely, lost earning potential has to come into play here? And I get he wasn't a superstar. Regardless, if so I would guess >$10M. 10-20?
I'm thinking 10 million too.
I was just saying $65 million is absolutely insane. You can't sue a guy into bankruptcy.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #34
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or not:

Michael Grange@michaelgrange6 mins

According to Geoff Adair, lawyer for Todd Bertuzzi; there is a 'potential problem' re: settlement.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #35
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I recall he sued Bertie and the Nucks, not the NHL. There was something about a suit against Crawford as well (I think) but that might have been between Bertie and Crawford or something... I can't recall all the details because I'm an old-fart.

Yes, it is somewhat hard to prove lost income from a job you never had, but you can certainly look at a bunch of Harvard (or Ivy league school) business grads, with a high profile sports career, and look at what the average of them have gone on to do post playing career. Similar to how you can look at his NHL career to that point, look at other players NHL career to the same age with the same background, and project what his likely NHL income would have been had he not been attacked from behind.

It makes no difference that he "might" have gotten injured at some other point in his career, just like it makes no difference that he "might" have gotten hit by a car later that very night if he didn't take an ambulance to the hospital.
there was some contention in the case about where he could have done as a Harvard business grad though

Quote:
“Steve Moore is unable to obtain employment commensurate to anywhere near his high intellect and Harvard degree,” Danson told the court, referring to reports by career experts he has filed.

But the lawyer for Orca Bay, the former owner of the Vancouver Canucks, argued otherwise.

Alan D’Silva referred to applications Moore made to the Harvard and Stanford MBA programs in 2010 in which Moore writes about receiving $104,000 for work.

Moore wrote the Graduate Management Admissions Test as part of his applications and scored in the 88th percentile.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #36
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I was just saying $65 million is absolutely insane. You can't sue a guy into bankruptcy.
Of course you can sue someone into bankruptcy. You'll never collect the full award, obviously.

Also, the $65 million claim was absurdly high by design and it is extremely doubtful that Moore ever expected to get something close to that. But that does help set the parameters for negotiations. Realistically, I expect he will get something in the neighbourhood of $4-7 million. But if he had sued for $10 million, he'd probably end up with $1-2 mil.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #37
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Bertuzzi sued Crawford in an attempt to make the coach liable for his actions. They settled a couple years ago, terms undisclosed (of course).
Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #38
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yes it does.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #39
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Of course you can.

Bertie (and/or the Nucks) ability to pay the judgement has nothing to do with the award of the judgement (at least, I don't think it does). Bertie and/or the Nucks will either need to pony up or work out a payment plan as part of the settlement.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

of course you can sue someone into bankruptcy, but why would Bertuzzi willingly settle into bankruptcy?

if it is going to destroy him financially anyway, he may as well fight and hope for the best