Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who finishes 30th?
Buffalo 123 48.24%
Florida 13 5.10%
Edmonton 31 12.16%
Calgary 32 12.55%
Islanders 4 1.57%
Senators 12 4.71%
Winnipeg 3 1.18%
Carolina 14 5.49%
Vancouver 1 0.39%
Ottawa 12 4.71%
Arizona 7 2.75%
Toronto 0 0%
Winnipeg 3 1.18%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #61
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I am wondering the same thing...
Buffalo is better on both wings and on defense. There goaltending has just as many question marks as ours. Where we have an edge is in the middle. Buffalo has the worst center depth in the NHL for the moment. Buffalo will give us a run for our money, but they have a few more good wingers that can score than we do.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #62
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, you think our goaltending has question marks? We just signed the 2nd best goaltender in free agency, and Ramo really showed us how he rolls at the end of the season. And you can't account Ramo playing well when it didn't matter most, New Jersey was still in a playoff spot and he completely shut them down.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #63
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Lol, you think our goaltending has question marks? We just signed the 2nd best goaltender in free agency, and Ramo really showed us how he rolls at the end of the season. And you can't account Ramo playing well when it didn't matter most, New Jersey was still in a playoff spot and he completely shut them down.
Hiller has plenty of question marks surrounding him. We'll see if his vertigo problems still dog him. The Ducks let him go for a very good reason, electing to go with a guy with 28 games of experience and another guy with 3 games of experience. Ramo's performance at the end of the season was good but will that carry over? At this point we don't know. Our goaltending is a huge question mark. The potential is there for it to be good, but the potential is there for it to go all to hell.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there's any question that starting the season with Ramo (with a year's experience) and Hiller is SUBSTANTIALLY better than starting last season with two unproven question marks in Ramo and Berra.

Much improved. No question.

Even so, however, our goaltending is still a pretty big question mark and is far from being a strength. Sure, they can both have great years, that's definitely possible, but it is far from a certainty
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #65
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
The Flames actually played far better after the trade deadline so missing Stempniak is not really an issue.
A lot of teams play better once they're out of the playoffs and the pressure is off.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #66
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A lot of teams play better once they're out of the playoffs and the pressure is off.
They routinely beat teams or at least kept the games they lost close during that stretch. They beat contenders in a playoff run. What more should they have done?

I really dislike the downplaying and straw man arguments like this putting the Flames down when they don't deserve it. They were absolutely on of the best teams in the league during the second half of the season. It was their first part of the season that killed them. They improved over the year. Give them some darned credit.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #67
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest point is Hiller was passed over for essentially 2 rookies on a contending team. Not exactly a good sign. I mean he was 24th in GAA and 33rd in Save % last year... on the Ducks...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #68
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
They routinely beat teams or at least kept the games they lost close during that stretch. They beat contenders in a playoff run. What more should they have done?

I really dislike the downplaying and straw man arguments like this putting the Flames down when they don't deserve it. They were absolutely on of the best teams in the league during the second half of the season. It was their first part of the season that killed them. They improved over the year. Give them some darned credit.
I believe it's true though. Someone could do the math for current history, but about 5 years ago I looked at it about 5 years ago and the first 40 games were a way better predictor for the following season than the last 40. I think the flames played great, but we're playing above their talent
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #69
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly don't see Hiller as an improvement over what we had. I mean if he was that good, the ducks would have kept him. He has potential to be the goalie he once was but he could also follow his trajectory of decline.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #70
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I honestly don't see Hiller as an improvement over what we had. I mean if he was that good, the ducks would have kept him. He has potential to be the goalie he once was but he could also follow his trajectory of decline.
Most other teams and your reasoning would be sound. But Anaheim let Hiller go because of an abundance of options. Much the same way LA jettisoned Scrivens - he wasn't traded because he sucked, he was traded because Martin Jones made him redundant.

Hiller won't steal a ton of games, and I don't even think he is a threat to steal the #1 job from Ramo. But he is a noticeable upgrade on MacDonald and Berra.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #71
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Hiller isn't an improvement over Berra?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #72
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The biggest point is Hiller was passed over for essentially 2 rookies on a contending team. Not exactly a good sign. I mean he was 24th in GAA and 33rd in Save % last year... on the Ducks...
That's why we got him on a short term, relatively cheap contract. The potential is there for him to be better than last year and there's no way he can be worse than Berra.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote