Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the Flames bring back Treliving
Yes 259 38.89%
No 17 2.55%
This is so obviously yes it shouldn't be a poll question 390 58.56%
Voters: 666. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #401
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
There's ZERO evidence to suggest this, but please, continue with the speculation.
That's all anyone is doing here.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #402
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
For every day that you don't reach an agreement is an opportunity for another agreement to be reached.

Frankly, it's utterly Mickey Mouse how this process has unrolled. Treliving should have been extended 12 months ago, not with the clock striking midnight.

We like to blame Feaster for the organization's questionable reputation but the rot clearly runs deeper.

This is not how a well run organization operates.
What's Mickey Mouse is your post. Over the top chicken little fear mongering based on nothing. Nothing new from one of the weakest posters here.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #403
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oh, for god's sake stop it. It has already been reported that Treliving's first preference is to remain with the Calgary Flames:
Have I ever once talked down to you? Why are you so high strung?

Friedman isn't always correct and speculation, no matter if far-fetched is not against the terms and services, yet you constantly berate other posters on this board. Nothing I (or anyone else) said should be considered offensive or deserving of the sanctimonious responses you constantly dish out to others around here. Feel free to put me on ignore if it bothers you that much.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-28-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #404
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That's all anyone is doing here.
There is a big difference between the relatively random, vacuous speculations of some in the absence of information or evidence, and thoughts and opinions delivered by others who are trying to carefully weigh them in accordance with what is being reported.

My apologies for the snark. I get triggered by the constant need to repeat already cited information.

In response to your last post, is there anything being reported which supports your notion that Treliving might be ready to move on from the Flames? If not—or, more appropriately, if there is quite a bit of information that directly counters your thoughts on the matter, then how useful is it to continue to speculate in that direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 04-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #405
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
This is such a stupid argument: Some franchises can exercise a novel or peculiar management philosophy because they have been successful, but others cannot act independently because the have no proven track record.

No. I am not adjudicating on the wisdom of the Flames' organizational approach here, but am quite certain that it is not stupid by fiat because no "elite" franchises employ the same tactics. Once Treliving is extended, then it really doesn't matter.
Agreed. There are just 4 GM's tenured since prior to 2008, only Ken Holland has a cup. Keeping Sutter around as GM after 04 to 09 did squat all for the Flames anyway.

Pitts, NYR, Edmonton, and Ottawa all have GM's with less tenure than Treliving with their current teams.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #406
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
What's Mickey Mouse is your post. Over the top chicken little fear mongering based on nothing. Nothing new from one of the weakest posters here.

We all know Tre should be re-signed, yet for some reason, the organization is dragging it's feet. It's a lot like last year during the coaching hunt.....was Treliving actually searching for months or was he simply unable to get the go ahead to sign Gulutzan?

Pretend the Flames organization is a world class, well oiled machine all you want, however, the signs are starting to point directly at quite a different matter at play. I'm certainly not aware of any precedent or reasoning behind not having extended the GM as we get closer and close to the entry draft.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-28-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #407
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is a big difference between the relatively random, vacuous speculations of some in the absence of information or evidence, and thoughts and opinions delivered by others who are trying to carefully weigh them in accordance with what is being reported.

My apologies for the snark. I get triggered by the constant need to repeat already cited information.

In response to your last post, is there anything being reported which supports your notion that Treliving might be ready to move on from the Flames? If not—or, more appropriately, if there is quite a bit of information that directly counters your thoughts on the matter, then how useful is it to continue to speculate in that direction?
No sources, but I don't think it is that crazy of a theory. Treliving started his hockey executive career on the league management side of things. He very ambitiously started his own minor league, so you know he has the inclination and love for that side of the hockey business. Going through AHL and NHL team front offices is a natural progression to get back into the league management side of things.

I know it's wildly speculative, but it's not like saying the same thing about a GM that has never shown the desire for that level management. It's part of Treliving's story and given how ambitious as astute he is, I could see him having that eventual end game.

Having said that, it would obviously depend on the opportunities available. My theory was more to point out to those slamming the Flames, that there could be other things both sides are considering.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #408
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
We all know Tre should be re-signed, yet for some reason, the organization is dragging it's feet. It's a lot like last year during the coaching hunt.....was Treliving actually searching for months or was he simply unable to get the go ahead to sign Gulutzan?

Pretend the Flames organization is a world class, well oiled machine all you want, however, the signs are starting to point directly at quite a different matter at play. I'm certainly not aware of any precedent or reasoning behind not having extended the GM as we get closer and close to the entry draft.
Hartley fired May 3. Gulutzan hired June 17.
To characterize it as searching for months goes a bit far.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #409
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Sometimes it just feels that way. Fans always want these things done yesterday.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #410
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Maybe so, but it's not like there was any reason to drag things out as long as they did....just as they are doing now. If he's your guy, you take care of business expediently even if you have to move mountains to do so.

I don't buy the "busy" notion. When are any of these guys around the league not busy? Somehow other teams have had no problem extending GM's and management well before the 11th hour.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #411
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I believe there was an interview with Burke not long ago where he explained why a deal hadn't been done yet, and I think it was along the lines of Brad is busy now and both sides are comfortable waiting until after the season. I think he also mentioned in the past it wasn't out of the question for him to wait till closer to the end of his contract before signing the next one.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #412
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I believe there was an interview with Burke not long ago where he explained why a deal hadn't been done yet, and I think it was along the lines of Brad is busy now and both sides are comfortable waiting until after the season. I think he also mentioned in the past it wasn't out of the question for him to wait till closer to the end of his contract before signing the next one.
If true, this seems like a pretty awful tactic to use by the Flames.

I'm definitely not a negotiator, but I am certain that you are much better off extending a contract months ahead of its expiry than waiting until job vacancies open up around the league, providing your current GM with more options and increased leverage.

Either way, I certainly cannot get my head around the rationale for letting things play out like they have unless their is some serious friction behind the scenes.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #413
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to add, but I found it interesting that John Shannon's Sportsnet column for the top 25 power brokers in the NHL has Treliving outside of the top 25, but #7 on the "watch list". He is the only NHL GM on either lists.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/j...-brokers-2017/

Nothing to suggest it impacts anything of course.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #414
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm definitely not a negotiator, but I am certain that you are much better off extending a contract months ahead of its expiry than waiting until job vacancies open up around the league, providing your current GM with more options and increased leverage.

Either way, I certainly cannot get my head around the rationale for letting things play out like they have unless their is some serious friction behind the scenes.
Which GM positions will still be available in June?

Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #415
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So far I don't see a lot of GM vacancies that need to be filled, and the ones that need to be filled weren't exactly a big surprise. Do you really think that in January the GM's around the league didn't have a pretty good idea of who would be let go? Getting him locked up in January vs May doesn't seem like a huge issue to me. A GM is a lot different than a UFA player, you don't keep the guy running your team around to the end of the contract if you don't want him around next year. On Treliving's side I suppose you can question if he still wants to be here or not, but from all accounts we've heard that he does want to be here so I choose to take that for face value.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #416
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Which GM positions will still be available in June?
Lots of agm spots open year round.

Feaster was hired in what, November?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #417
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's labour supply and demand. Every person on the planet wants to be a GM and you could easily fill that position. Furthermore, Brad Treliving would always prefer to work for the Flames than any other organization because it's a job of architecture and process. Unless he thinks this roster sucks and is too handcuffed to contracts to work with, obvious he wants to see this thing through. He wants to be able to look back at what he built, not quit and wonder what someone else will do with his efforts
Old 04-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #418
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Lots of agm spots open year round.
I see. So Treliving is going to leave town to accept a demotion, because the Flames are such poopy poopyheads that they didn't re-sign him while he was doing exit interviews?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #419
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I can't help but think this has Ken King's hands all over it - i hope I'm wrong because that would mean this team's in some serious ####
Old 04-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #420
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know where the panic on the forum stems from. Reading Treliving's comments to NHL.com after the sweep, it sounds like he's already planning for next season.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/trel...18/c-288977518

Quote:
"Tomorrow,'' Treliving says, "is a players' day. Next week we'll think about my situation. "Look, I love this team. And this sounds so goofy but I haven't really spent a whole lot of time thinking about me. Honestly."

"There are two sides to this, we all get to talk and see where we go. It's like my taxes. I don't do my taxes until the day before I have to file them."

"If you look at it, a lot of good has happened this season,'' Treliving points out. "I said it three years ago when I got here: You can make trades and signings to help, sure, but if you look at good teams, they get better from within. I thought we saw some real growth in that area. In a lot of cases - and it's real difficult to say when you're out in four games - but a lot of those people showed growth in these playoffs.

"I don't like to live in perception. I prefer to deal in reality. And the reality, as I see it, is this team is not far away. Having said that, you don't get back to the dance simply because you don't think you're that far away, just because the calendar turns over and everybody's a year older."
Sounds like he is already planning for next season and the contract is a formality. Apologies if this link was posted earlier, it's still only 8 days old though so his comments still are valid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread