Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #121
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Gf was telling me they are supposed to be selling records at home outfitters I'm guessing they would be brand new cuts as well.
Are you sure she didn't confuse it with Urban Outfitters? They've been selling vinyl for years and sadly are one of the number retail outlets for vinyl in certain countries.

That said, I know that in the US; Bed, Bath, & Beyond does sell new records as well.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #122
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Well I pretty much have no choice but to buy this:

https://youtu.be/se0XO3780Pg?t=42s

Kickstarter Page

Prototype Video
I don't know man.

We'll see if they can pull it off, but I am skeptical that it will be able to maintain accurate rpm and tracking force. It looks neat, I suppose, but until they explain and demonstrate why/how it is better than other tables at that pricepoint, I'll consider it a novelty.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #123
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I don't know man.

We'll see if they can pull it off, but I am skeptical that it will be able to maintain accurate rpm and tracking force. It looks neat, I suppose, but until they explain and demonstrate why/how it is better than other tables at that pricepoint, I'll consider it a novelty.

Yeah totally fair - I should say "I have to buy it assuming it works as advertised."

The gadget nerd in me puts this on a different planet than "neat" though. I'm expecting a novelty premium is built in to the price and it performs like an entry level Pro-ject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #124
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Are you sure she didn't confuse it with Urban Outfitters? They've been selling vinyl for years and sadly are one of the number retail outlets for vinyl in certain countries.

That said, I know that in the US; Bed, Bath, & Beyond does sell new records as well.
Nope they are supposed to get turntables as well she said the records were about $30
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #125
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah totally fair - I should say "I have to buy it assuming it works as advertised."

The gadget nerd in me puts this on a different planet than "neat" though. I'm expecting a novelty premium is built in to the price and it performs like an entry level Pro-ject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The designers broke the most basic rule of turntable design. That is, the platter spindle and the tone arm spindles have to be coupled (rigidly).This design feature ensures that when one moves, so does the other.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #126
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Nope they are supposed to get turntables as well she said the records were about $30
They will just end up getting Crosley junk record players. Please don't ever considering buying one of those. They will ruin your records with heavy 6+ gram tracking force eroding your record grooves.

$30 records are on the expensive side and the selection will be generic stuff. You can do better at the actual dedicated record stores in Calgary.

Lukes Drug Mart
Blackbyrd Myoozik
Recordland
That Old Retro Store
Turn it Up North
Turn it Up South
Hot Wax
Sloth Records
Melodiya

And a couple more. Support your local record store. Not big chains.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #127
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Support your local record store. Not big chains.
I used to think that way too. Then I learned that a lot of our local shops sell stolen music and pass it off as the genuine article.

I'd been searching for Aenima by Tool forever so I was ecstatic to find an unopened copy in stock at RecordLand for $72. I asked the staff about the price and they told me it had just finally come back in stock at their distributor, who sold only official pressings, and it was flying off the shelves. I bought it and couldn't get home to listen fast enough.

I get home and of course the inserts are photocopies, the vinyl is translucent yellow, and the labels are stuck on incorrectly. An obvious bootleg, and a weak one at that. I take it back to RecordLand and the guy tending the store tells me that they can't check that every record in their inventory is legit. If the distributor tells them it's legit, it's not their problem. Because I'd opened the record, they wouldn't take it back.

Same story at Melodiya. They've got a $60 copy of Salival, also by Tool. I ask the guy at the desk if it's legit and he assures me everything in the store is. A quick google search proved immediately that was a lie (it was a totally different cover).

I'm fine buying a marked bootleg for say, $20. I'm not ok with stores charging their customers a premium for stolen merchandise, and I'm not ok with stores not even knowing if they're selling me something that's stolen or not.

I've got nothing bad to say about Turn It Up though. Those guys are awesome. But if they don't have what I'm looking for, my next stop is Amazon or Discogs.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #128
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
The designers broke the most basic rule of turntable design. That is, the platter spindle and the tone arm spindles have to be coupled (rigidly).This design feature ensures that when one moves, so does the other.
This is a great point. I think I'll wait to hear some reviews first...

Old 11-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #129
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I used to think that way too. Then I learned that a lot of our local shops sell stolen music and pass it off as the genuine article.

I'd been searching for Aenima by Tool forever so I was ecstatic to find an unopened copy in stock at RecordLand for $72. I asked the staff about the price and they told me it had just finally come back in stock at their distributor, who sold only official pressings, and it was flying off the shelves. I bought it and couldn't get home to listen fast enough.

I get home and of course the inserts are photocopies, the vinyl is translucent yellow, and the labels are stuck on incorrectly. An obvious bootleg, and a weak one at that. I take it back to RecordLand and the guy tending the store tells me that they can't check that every record in their inventory is legit. If the distributor tells them it's legit, it's not their problem. Because I'd opened the record, they wouldn't take it back.

Same story at Melodiya. They've got a $60 copy of Salival, also by Tool. I ask the guy at the desk if it's legit and he assures me everything in the store is. A quick google search proved immediately that was a lie (it was a totally different cover).

I'm fine buying a marked bootleg for say, $20. I'm not ok with stores charging their customers a premium for stolen merchandise, and I'm not ok with stores not even knowing if they're selling me something that's stolen or not.

I've got nothing bad to say about Turn It Up though. Those guys are awesome. But if they don't have what I'm looking for, my next stop is Amazon or Discogs.
Well bootlegs and rarities are of course a completely different thing. I'm talking about buying your run of the mill records or even just buying the $10 vintage copy versus the $30 brand new reissue.

I definitely see obviously bootlegs at many record shops. Recordland recently got a bunch of super fake Pink Floyd Meddles in perfect condition that claimed they were pressed in Japan...quick Discogs check shows it'a Eastern European bootleg.

I'm not into this hobby to buy $50+ records anyway.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:44 PM   #130
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up the Rega Planar 2 a couple months back right when Sounds of Music just got them in. I was sold on the glass platter.

http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-2-2016.html
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #131
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm a complete embarrassment to record hobbyists...

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=158246
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #132
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Hmm didn't you go and buy a bunch of records too? Thanks for the posting. It's a good benchmark when I sell mine too! (but for different reasons since I went vintage and like 1970s tables instead of modern ones).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-21-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #133
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

I had over 300 records from the 70's and 80's in mint condition and I sold them along with a good Dual turntable for $100 back around 2006. It was all I could get for them back then. I never thought vinyl would make the comeback it has

If I could only go back in time and reverse what I did.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #134
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I had over 300 records from the 70's and 80's in mint condition and I sold them along with a good Dual turntable for $100 back around 2006. It was all I could get for them back then. I never thought vinyl would make the comeback it has

If I could only go back in time and reverse what I did.
I wish I could go back to 2006 and be that guy you sold all that stuff to!
Old 11-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #135
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hope it's ok for me to jump into this thread with a bunch of questions. Background first:

I decided I wanted to get into vinyl a couple of years ago and picked up some gear for the few records I had lying around in storage. I have a Dual 1212 turntable, Yamaha NS 240 RM speakers, a Technics SU-V303 amp, and a Sony TC-K96R cassette deck (used it once in two years). It all lives in an open concept area around 750 square feet.

There was some weirdness happening for a while where my right speaker was cutting in and out, dropping in volume, or just sounding plain crappy so I decided to take a look at the amp. I opened it up, used DeOxit on the pan and volume pots, and did a little basic cleaning. Seemed to have done the trick.

Recently, I noticed a small tear in one of the drivers of my speakers. I've continued to use it, and now it has grown almost 3 times in size.

Basically, I want to overhaul everything (except the cassette deck). Music in high rotation for me includes: Tom Petty, Built To Spill, The Beach Boys, CCR, Matt Good, Johnny Cash, Jack White, My Morning Jacket & Spoon. I have some jazz, punk & metal I listen to as well, but rock is my main go-to.

Wondering where you would start in trying to upgrade this system. I won't say money is no concern, but I'd like to build a system I'll be happy with for many years to come, and I really like the look of some of the vintage gear out there.

Speakers are up first for me I think - what are some good floor model and larger bookshelf models to look at for a rock-heavy diet? Then, would you upgrade the amp or turntable next? There's so much info out there on this stuff, it's hard to know where to start looking first...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:50 AM   #136
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If you want to remain vintage for everything, you can look into re-foaming your speakers. You can buy kits to replace the torn woofers. I tend to find vintage speakers at pawn and thrift shops all the time to try out. I'm not too picky about them, I like to just check out the selection at The Buy & Sell Store (used to be Cash Converters) on MacLeod when I am looking for a set.

For replacing the amp, there's lots of options for you and I think it comes down to look for me. Any high end Japanese amp from the late 70s will have good redeeming qualities about them but you should choose something that complements the look of your system and space. I've personally always wanted to get a Pioneer SX series amp.

For the turntable, Dual is a reputable company and it really depends on if you want to change it out for a different style than the suspended look. I switch between a Technics SL-1200 MKII (the golden standard of all turntables if I'm to be honest) and a Dual 601 all the time. Do you want manual or automatic? I have to be honest, I can't tell the difference in sound most of the time and choose turntables based on look. Last year I saw a Pioneer PL-570 at Value Village and I kick myself in the ass everytime I remember it for not picking it up right away because it was gone the next day.

If you want to switch everything to modern gear, that's also another option as there are many new turntables coming out and you can go for a modern minimalist look with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for example.

If vintage is the way you are going, I would visit

1. Turn it Up North on 16th Avenue. They have walls of vintage equipment that has been recapped and serviced. It's pricey but the selection is there and you can know it works. They have some modern turntables too.

2. That Old Retro Store in Inglewood. It's a weird combo of a vintage music gear shop, record shop, and vape store. Similar deal with the gear being serviced and a bit pricey but it's there to see.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-23-2016 at 02:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #137
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for typing that out Hack&Lube. I guess I neglected to say why I want to upgrade things. The issue I thought I had fixed with the amp has returned - I randomly have one speaker that cuts in and out, will drop and increase in volume, and can sound scratchy at times (like a dirty pot would cause). Believe it or not I'm an audio engineer by trade - I just don't happen to have any experience with home theatre components, and my specialty doesn't really lend to much knowledge for setting up a good system.

I know the records I have can sound much better than they do currently and I want to bring that out. After I posted last night I started looking for rock speakers and found some by Klipsch that look amazing. They also are priced that way haha! I think that's where I'll start looking to find deals - with an amp to follow and a new turntable eventually. I guess my table is fine, I just know the reviews aren't the greatest for that particular model, so I want to make sure everything in the chain lends itself to reproducing a good sound.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #138
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Thanks for typing that out Hack&Lube. I guess I neglected to say why I want to upgrade things. The issue I thought I had fixed with the amp has returned - I randomly have one speaker that cuts in and out, will drop and increase in volume, and can sound scratchy at times (like a dirty pot would cause). Believe it or not I'm an audio engineer by trade - I just don't happen to have any experience with home theatre components, and my specialty doesn't really lend to much knowledge for setting up a good system.

I know the records I have can sound much better than they do currently and I want to bring that out. After I posted last night I started looking for rock speakers and found some by Klipsch that look amazing. They also are priced that way haha! I think that's where I'll start looking to find deals - with an amp to follow and a new turntable eventually. I guess my table is fine, I just know the reviews aren't the greatest for that particular model, so I want to make sure everything in the chain lends itself to reproducing a good sound.
The issue is likely that your current amp needs to be recapped. The electrolytic capacitors have probably dried out and failed with age and a few other components can be replaced. It should be pretty easy if you have a soldering iron as all tech of the era had great service manuals.

New speakers are probably a safer bet because old speaker cross-overs likely also need re-capping.

Vintage amps are almost always better than anything new or current however.

Are you sure the issue isn't in your turntable? One channel could be cutting out because of oxidized components on the tonearm or wiring down the chain. Have you replaced your stylus at all? What stylus are you even using? The Dual is a little more complex for replacing the stylus and getting it properly aligned via pro-tractor than another turntable where you can just swap head-shells. If a particular style of music is what you are after, it's really the stylus that affects that the most. A dirty, worn, or damaged stylus will also only reproduce one side.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-23-2016 at 02:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #139
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Wondering where you would start in trying to upgrade this system.

Speakers are up first for me I think - what are some good floor model and larger bookshelf models to look at for a rock-heavy diet? Then, would you upgrade the amp or turntable next? There's so much info out there on this stuff, it's hard to know where to start looking first...
In my opinion, you should make a list of what equipment interests you and purchase the item(s) that become available. I say this because you might be waiting a long time for a set of speakers. Meanwhile, a turntable appeared and you missed out on it. The good stuff gets snapped up quickly if you aren't nimble.

It is difficult to make general recommendations because everyone has different tastes. I like direct drive turntables; others prefer belt drive.

For speakers, I will always recommend Boston Acoustics. For the floor standers, look for the A150, A200 and A400. For book shelf, look for A60 and A70. I have had a set of A150s since 1987 and I love them and I will never sell them. The A150s are rare; the A200s and A400s even more so.

I prefer the "East Coast" sound so I like Acoustic Research, Advent, KLH, EPI, Genesis, Polk and Reynolds. People will say that these speakers are more suited to jazz and classical than rock, but I'm a rocker and they're fine to me.

My only non-East Coasters I own are JBLs: 4301B and 4401. Both of these are control room monitors. There is a strong following for the non-pro L series JBL. My only experience with JBL was with a set of LX-66 (made in Denmark). These were monsters with twin 8" woofers, but I wasn't all that impressed with them. L100s/L300s command way more money.

If you're looking to rock out, then there is nothing wrong with the older Cerwin Vegas, Realistics (Mach 1 primarily), Altec Lansings, Pioneer HPM, and the rest of the Japanese 'Kabuki' speakers. If you can find them, Mitsubishi put out very nice speakers and they aren't well known, so pricing is reasonable.

I don't have any experience with British and Canadian speaker manufacturers.

Dynaco A25s are very nice, too.

I have no experience whatsoever with new speakers.

Any of the 70s Japanese silver face receivers/int amps are fine. The Toshibas, Sanyos and Hitachis of the world fly under the RADAR due to poor marketing in North America, but they are no slouches. I own three different Pioneers but I prefer Kenwood (can never find them). The black Sansuis command more money but they aren't any better, in my opinion. Ditto for Marantz. Lots of hype because they look cool with the blue lights.

Have you checked out www.audiokarma.org ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #140
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some great info here, I'm actually the person who took advantage of FanIn80's Audio Techinca LP120 sale. Love the player, much better than the entry level one I had before.

I'm also trying to assemble more of a hifi setup (I only have it hooked up to small computer speakers right now).

Is it better to look for a receiver that has phono inputs or does it matter? As far as I understand the audio technica has a pre-amp built in so I can hook it up to any inputs, but is a phono input better for sound quality?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote