Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #81
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Huh. I see I already posted in this thread once upon a time.

So as a former part-time vegetarian most of my adult life (eating meat maybe once a week), I've come to learn what a foolish knob I was.

Never getting enough protein (my minimum requirements are between 96g and 108g/day just to maintain muscle mass), waaay too much processed crap, waaay too much fruit (sugar/carbs) (I was eating 12+ servings of fruit a day for a stretch there, thinking 'damn, I eat healthy!')

It is so hard to get adequate protein with beans and legumes and etc.--especially for me, as I'm 6'6 and built like a skyscraper.

One of the best things I ever did was start seeing a dietician, that was after talking to a friend of mine who's a dietician. I now eat lean meat twice a day.
Jesus, a 6'6 vegetarian.

"It's like being tackled by a skeleton."

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #82
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Can A Vegan Diet Give You All You Need? German Nutritionists Say 'Nein'

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...ntent=20160912
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #83
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegan...probably not. Vegetarian including dairy and eggs? Almost certainly. While eating too much meat is problematic for our health, not having enough protein is a serious problem for us. You can get enough from beans, legumes, and other non-animal sources, but having a boost from dairy and eggs should give anyone enough to live on.

My personal recommendation is pescatarian, for the bonus of healthy fats found in fish.

However, there has been a lot of anthropological and archeological studies that indicate our intelligence and survivability increased after we started eating animal flesh. So if you like being smart...eat meat?

http://www.livescience.com/23671-eat...-us-human.html
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #84
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Vegan...probably not. Vegetarian including dairy and eggs? Almost certainly. While eating too much meat is problematic for our health, not having enough protein is a serious problem for us. You can get enough from beans, legumes, and other non-animal sources, but having a boost from dairy and eggs should give anyone enough to live on.

My personal recommendation is pescatarian, for the bonus of healthy fats found in fish.

However, there has been a lot of anthropological and archeological studies that indicate our intelligence and survivability increased after we started eating animal flesh. So if you like being smart...eat meat?

Pft, I don't eat meat and I ain't no stupider than you!!
flamesrule_kipper34 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #85
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When people choose this diet for ethical reasons, I never fail to remind them that fish is the only food that we still harvest from the wild. A pescatarian diet that chooses only wild, organic food is probably the most unethical diet that anyone can choose.

If you are buying the massive bags of tilapia or cod from Safeway, well, then I am sure that is okay.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #86
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
When people choose this diet for ethical reasons, I never fail to remind them that fish is the only food that we still harvest from the wild. A pescatarian diet that chooses only wild, organic food is probably the most unethical diet that anyone can choose.

If you are buying the massive bags of tilapia or cod from Safeway, well, then I am sure that is okay.
Well that's 100% bull####. Ever hear of a fish farm? I would wager that more than 50% of the fish you get in a supermarket is farmed (probably a conservative estimate). Are you saying that some of the fish we eat is wild harvested? Ok, fine, but then there are still plenty of people that hunt and eat wild game. They just don't live in big cities for the most part.

And how the hell do you arrive at the conclusion that a wild/organic diet is unethical?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #87
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's 100% bull####. Ever hear of a fish farm? I would wager that more than 50% of the fish you get in a supermarket is farmed (probably a conservative estimate). Are you saying that some of the fish we eat is wild harvested? Ok, fine, but then there are still plenty of people that hunt and eat wild game. They just don't live in big cities for the most part.

And how the hell do you arrive at the conclusion that a wild/organic diet is unethical?
Yeah, I know we farm it, but we also take a huge amount of fish from the wild.

I think that individuals can hunt and fish for wild game just fine, and I have no problem with that.

You are not describing most people though. I am.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #88
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I know we farm it, but we also take a huge amount of fish from the wild.

I think that individuals can hunt and fish for wild game just fine, and I have no problem with that.

Sure, but you made a blanket statement. a statement that CPF refuted.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #89
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Sure, but you made a blanket statement. a statement that CPF refuted.
Not really.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #90
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You have a great habit of doing that and being wrong. Not open to criticism and constantly self righteous you're grand generalizations are annoying.

I'm not talking for everyone I'm talking for me, you make me avoid this forum as you've become the self appointed sheriff spouting your opinion as fact. Good job slowly poisoning the well with self righteousness.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #91
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
You have a great habit of doing that and being wrong. Not open to criticism and constantly self righteous you're grand generalizations are annoying.

I'm not talking for everyone I'm talking for me, you make me avoid this forum as you've become the self appointed sheriff spouting your opinion as fact. Good job slowly poisoning the well with self righteousness.
How so?

Look, I honestly don't see the issue here. I agree with Cali that some people can sustain themselves with a locally procured diet that includes hunting/foraging for food.

The truth is, most people don't want to do that, and the environment couldn't sustain it if they did. Look at what commercial fishing has done to global fish stocks. That was my point.

Go ahead and eat just fish. I really don't care. It seems to me that you stay away because people call you out on how touchy you are in regards to practically everything.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #92
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Every thread of interest I go to you're spouting your biased opinion as fact. As far as criticism and being touchy you're dead wrong, could not care less, criticize and insult away.

Infinitely less annoying than a know-it-all that doesn't know everything talking down to people in every thread. That touchiness in the past was me going through a debilitating physical ailment that left me physically and mentally unwell for a year, kind of made it tough to be level headed. That was then this is now.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #93
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
When people choose this diet for ethical reasons, I never fail to remind them that fish is the only food that we still harvest from the wild. y.

Work in progress and progressing not too badly.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #94
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Every thread of interest I go to you're spouting your biased opinion as fact. As far as criticism and being touchy you're dead wrong, could not care less, criticize and insult away.

Infinitely less annoying than a know-it-all that doesn't know everything talking down to people in every thread. That touchiness in the past was me going through a debilitating physical ailment that left me physically and mentally unwell for a year, kind of made it tough to be level headed. That was then this is now.
Well, I added a disclaimer for all of my posts.

Sorry that you have had a rough year.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #95
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Out of curiosity what makes aquaculture more ethical than fishing wild fish? Is it purely the environmental concerns? Surely forcing fish to live in a cramped tiny aquarium and then slaughtering them is not more humane than fishing from the wild.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #96
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally, you aren't altering the food chain with aquaculture.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #97
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

A little bump on an old thread. I'm trying to reduce meat from my diet and I'm having issues, mainly based on convenience. I will not be able to spend the time to cook my own vegetarian meals. So I'm going to use what advantage I do have, and that is a generous budget to get what I need.

CP vegetarians, what do you do when you don't have time to prepare meals or just don't want to? I've looked into fresh meal services and it seems none of them offer any real vegetarian options. Is it always takeout from restaurants? Grab what's available pre-made at Suntara? Any ideas would be great.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #98
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #99
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
A little bump on an old thread. I'm trying to reduce meat from my diet and I'm having issues, mainly based on convenience. I will not be able to spend the time to cook my own vegetarian meals. So I'm going to use what advantage I do have, and that is a generous budget to get what I need.

CP vegetarians, what do you do when you don't have time to prepare meals or just don't want to? I've looked into fresh meal services and it seems none of them offer any real vegetarian options. Is it always takeout from restaurants? Grab what's available pre-made at Suntara? Any ideas would be great.
Something I've really enjoyed doing that's quick and easy (and tasty) are certain yves veggie products put into a bed of salad greens and drizzled with salad dressing of my choice.

Some of my go to's are yves chicken strips and ground rounds. Add those (cold or warmed up) to a bed of salad greens and drizzle some salad dressing to taste and that's a delicious meal full of protein right there.
flamesrule_kipper34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #100
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: