Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Recommendations for apple tree purchase

Looking to get an apple tree put into the backyard this spring. Any recommendations on tree variety for a crisp and large apple that can has a good chance of surviving our winters? Also any recommendations on where to buy one, preferably a larger tree cuz we are impatient for fruit!
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Crab apples
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't you need two trees...

One "Male" and one "Female"

And Bees.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

We have two North Battleford apple trees in our yard...due to the spacing of other trees the prior owners did, they aren't very big trees unfortunately. But, they make decent sized crisp and sweet apples, and a lot of them too.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand there are some apple varieties that can survive and prosper in Calgary besides crab apples. You'll have to check this list and see what suits your tastes.

https://www.fivestarlandscaping.ca/f...ll-in-calgary/

Quote:
Here are some fruit trees that grow well in and around Calgary:

Norland Apple – fruits early and produces excellent eating apples that store well.

Prairie Sensation – this hardy dessert apple was developed at the University of Saskatchewan.

M360 – good eating apple that will last up to six months in storage.

Alberta Gold – produces gold and yellow apples that look like Golden Delicious.

Alberta Red – large, red apples that are excellent to eat.

Goodland – this is an Alberta favourite that freezes and stores very well.

Certain pears also grow well in Calgary:

Golden Spice – ripens in mid to late September. As the name suggests, this pear has a spicy taste.

Early Gold Pear – produces small pears that are ready to eat in early September.

John Pear – bears yellow green pears that are ready in late September.

If you love plums, the Brookgold Plum produces delicious, yellow, translucent fruit that is ready in late August.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can buy 4-in-1 apple trees here that do very well ie 4 varieties grafted onto one root stock. No worries then for pollination.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Don't you need two trees...

One "Male" and one "Female"

And Bees.
You only need one tree - and bees.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple trees are the hot tubs of the botanical world.

Having one sounds amazing when you don't have it, but in reality just ends up being a huge pain in the butt in upkeep for the one time a year it actually gets used.

Calgary is terrible for apples given the frequent hail which will make any bruised apples spoil very quickly after harvest and even freshly picked, they will be unsightly and damaged. Last year was the first year in 20 years I had a crop without hail damage. But even then I ended up with 1,000 perfect apples and ate may 50?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just don't plant it to provide shade for your deck. What a disaster(tree was there long before I moved in). Apples are messy to assume that area of the yard will be off limits in the fall.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
You can buy 4-in-1 apple trees here that do very well ie 4 varieties grafted onto one root stock. No worries then for pollination.
We bought one of these from the garden center in Balzac. It was great, all the varieties matured in different weeks. Was around $200 I think. Got like 15 apples in year 1.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

make cider.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love my Breaky variety. It didn't produce for the first two years and now it produces lots of apples. They're good-sized and tasty.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #13
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys, any ideas on a good nursery to pick one of these up? I'm leaning towards getting a Norland/Zestar/4-in-1.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:19 AM   #14
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have three apple trees that we are cutting down this spring. They are super annoying. They produce waaay more apples than I can harvest, and it is a PITA to collect all the fallen ones off the ground. There is a charity that can come out and harvest the apples for you, but they are so busy that I haven't been able to get them out yet. Just another thing to think about. If they produce a lot of fruit they can be annoying.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think the idea of having an apple tree in your yard is much better than the reality. They are for people that are active with their yard maintenance and care which could be the OP for all we know.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #16
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're going to have an apple tree, shouldn't you know of more than 1 way of prepraing them other than eating them raw? I mean, yeah, you'll get a lot of apples. If you have no desire to cook or bake using apples, then I guess it would seem like a waste.

As for trees that make a mess - we used to have apricot trees at our place in Kelowna. I don't think anything comes close to the mess they produce if you don't harvest them. Next worst might be chestnut trees, just because of how many ways they could injure you either by having them fall on your or being stepped on.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #17
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, apple-kabobs, apple creole, apple gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple apple, lemon apple, coconut apple, pepper apple, apple soup, apple stew, apple salad, apple and potatoes, apple burger, apple sandwich.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I have three apple trees that we are cutting down this spring. They are super annoying. They produce waaay more apples than I can harvest, and it is a PITA to collect all the fallen ones off the ground. There is a charity that can come out and harvest the apples for you, but they are so busy that I haven't been able to get them out yet. Just another thing to think about. If they produce a lot of fruit they can be annoying.
They're that busy? I seem to recall that that charity tries to sell some of the stuff they harvest at the farmers market to deal with their fuel and transport costs and much of the remainder goes to the food bank or homeless shelters.

Have you also offered the fruit to neighbors? You'd be surprised how often neighbors are jealous of edibles in your yard. Neighbors and friends rush over to pick Saskatoon berries and Dolgo crab apples at my parents place.

I don't know what OP is aiming for a nice crisp apple though. Most of the apples I've seen mentioned are often times at best a Macintosh level apple which means it might be sorta crisp for a few days to a week and most of the time sorta powdery/mushy. I've tried the Alberta gold and red and they're both alright once the tree gets to size, but then you end up with an apple that's like a weird diluted and bland version of a golden delicious with a hint of a pacific rose or fuji flavor. I'd rate the apple as a powdery apple, not really crisp. The hot tub comparison is hilarious and true.

Something I find that's nice and tart is the Dolgo crab apple. The apples end up as an oval shape about half to a third of the size of a ping pong ball.

Pros:
- Flowers are very nice in the spring (closest to cherry blossoms we get in Calgary IMO)
- Actually "crispy" with a tart flavor that's a bit unique to the apples we get at the store
- Great for collecting and freezing to make cider
- Some people can, cook or pickle these things
- Smaller apples that are less prone to hail damage
- Frozen ones on the tree are picked at by birds in the winter. The alcohol in these apples often times means entertainment in regards to drunk birds.

Cons:
- Small apple
- Leaves a mess (as with any tree)
- Grows relatively slowly (I've watched my parents tree go from something like 10- 12 feet to about 16-18 feet now over a decade).
- Low branches which means it's a pain to mow under

Parkland and September ruby were my other favourites with a nice tart and relatively firm apple that might meet OP's desires. However, I recall it took my Parkland tree about 3-5 years to properly start producing and it was a 10 ft tree.

There are some interesting pear and plum options. In the late summer, 15th ave 5th street SW has a lot of these pears on the trees. They're similar to a smaller and more fibrous version of an unripened D'Anjou pear IMO. Plums are great, but I've never seen a good plum tree that wasn't 20-30+ years old.

Also, if you have hares that wander your area, make sure to protect your fruit trees. I've seen hares strip the bark on young fruit trees and can effectively kill them within a few days.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: