Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default MVAC - car accident driver had no insurance

My step sister was a passenger in a car that didn't having insurance. From what I've seen on the web there is a fund for situations like this called MVAC for up to 200K. It's good there's a program like this to protect people.

How long does this process take? From my understanding you've got to serve the defendant (i made a thread asking about serving) but now instead of working on a settlement with insurance its government. The defendant can get a lawyer or get the MVAC ro act as one?

She has a lawyer but I just want to educate myself on Thisbe stuff so I can have convos with her.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

An old girlfriend used it with no problems. she had her $3000.00 car written off in a hit & run by a large truck and they payed her $3700.00 for it.

I think it was about a month.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
An old girlfriend used it with no problems. she had her $3000.00 car written off in a hit & run by a large truck and they payed her $3700.00 for it.

I think it was about a month.

It was my understandings MVAC doesn't cover loses of car. Just personal injury and loss of income/future incomes. Pain&suffering etc.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
MVAC pays for judgments for personal injuries and pays some medical benefits. To be compensated for injuries, a court action must be commenced against the uninsured driver at fault.
Link

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Thanks for the link. I've read a few of those. I guess I'm more so looking for personal experiences either friends / family's or yourself. Do these things take years? Are payouts fair?
Old 05-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
It was my understandings MVAC doesn't cover loses of car. Just personal injury and loss of income/future incomes. Pain&suffering etc.
Maybe it wasn't this MVAC but some type of victims insurance paid for it as she wasn't carrying collision insurance.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Maybe it wasn't this MVAC but some type of victims insurance paid for it as she wasn't carrying collision insurance.
Can you find out more information on this? Was this in Alberta? Due to a mistake by my broker, I wasn't covered and I was a victim of a hit and run. My understanding was there was no recourse. be nice if I could get a payout...

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 05-27-2017 at 07:34 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does SEF 44 coverage come into play here if you have it?

I wish I knew more about insurance. Keep this thread updated with what you find out.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Can you find out more information on this? Was this in Alberta? Due to a mistake by my broker, I wasn't covered and I was a victim of a hit and run. My understanding was there was no recourse. I'd be nice if I could get a payout...
This was quite a few years ago, I'll give it a shot and try and find her, it's a good excuse to say hi to her again
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post

I wish I knew more about insurance. Keep this thread updated with what you find out.
She has SEF 44 and even tho car was at home in the garage it'll cover anything that goes over the 200K MVAC ccap up to 2 mill (or 1 depends on what your coverage is)
Old 05-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's what SEF 44 is. Basically if someone hits you and are uninsured, or under-insured then your insurer can respond to the claim.

There is coverage for uninsured motorists though, and it's fair and straightforward. If she has a lawyer I'm sure they're on it and will walk her through.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #12
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That's what SEF 44 is. Basically if someone hits you and are uninsured, or under-insured then your insurer can respond to the claim.

There is coverage for uninsured motorists though, and it's fair and straightforward. If she has a lawyer I'm sure they're on it and will walk her through.
Ha I'm sure they will. I just like being aware. From your understanding do these cases take a very long time settle? Is it time consuming due to government bring involved ?
Old 05-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife was rear-ended by a driver without insurance. Perhaps because her injuries were significant it took years to get it resolved and she ended up with what her lawyer said was less money than she would have got if the driver was insured. But she did in the end get paid for medical expenses etc.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #14
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
My wife was rear-ended by a driver without insurance. Perhaps because her injuries were significant it took years to get it resolved and she ended up with what her lawyer said was less money than she would have got if the driver was insured. But she did in the end get paid for medical expenses etc.

That's too bad. Her injuries are also significant. Spent weeks in the hospital. Sounds like the MVAC are low ballers then! Did your wife even get to or near the 200K cap?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ha I'm sure they will. I just like being aware. From your understanding do these cases take a very long time settle? Is it time consuming due to government bring involved ?
Quote:
That's too bad. Her injuries are also significant. Spent weeks in the hospital. Sounds like the MVAC are low ballers then! Did your wife even get to or near the 200K cap?
In most cases, the law allows you up to two years to file your claim or lawsuit. Its my understanding that in most situations people will wait until almost the end of that period to file their claim. The severity and impact of injuries isnt always known quickly after the accident so if it may be unwise to settle a claim early or quickly.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #16
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
In most cases, the law allows you up to two years to file your claim or lawsuit. Its my understanding that in most situations people will wait until almost the end of that period to file their claim. The severity and impact of injuries isnt always known quickly after the accident so if it may be unwise to settle a claim early or quickly.

Very understandable. The poster I quoted however said several years.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #17
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Can you not go after someone personally if they are not insured?
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #18
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Well you are suing them. Have to serve them. Money will come from MVAC the defendant will have to repay The settlement amount to MVAC. Could get costly.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
People without car insurance are usually judgement proof due to lack of assets...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #20
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a charity, what would you expect?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote