Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #41
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

DELETED - not the time for debate.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #42
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
ftfy
get that crap out of this thread.

smarten up
Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #43
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

People covering up for an abstract bunch of random hateful dudes, while hundreds of teenage kids are lying maimed or dead. I don't get on this train at all really, but people...
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #44
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
DELETED - not the time for debate.
Go volunteer at the hospitals, dude.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #45
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maddening, now they're going after the softest of soft targets in young kids, dead kids, injured kids and now thousands and thousands of youngsters will be scared for life, a good many of them won't ever go to another concert, large sporting event and maybe even a mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Nope, Islam isn't a problem.
If you didn't forget the green text, drop it and go to bed.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #46
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

kids at a pop concert.

whomever did this targeted kids.

i'm at a loss for words.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #47
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
####ing animals, every last one of these religious nutjobs who want to go to paradise for killing innocent people.
Animals have much more sense and decency.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Maddening, now they're going after the softest of soft targets in young kids, dead kids, injured kids and now thousands and thousands of youngsters will be scared for life, a good many of them won't ever go to another concert, large sporting event and maybe even a mall.

If you didn't forget the green text, drop it and go to bed.
This is the definition of terrorism, this is no surprise. If your a terrorist you want to strike fear and strike at the soft spots of society.

Remember that one of the tools that these leaders use to attack children and the innocent is to tell the people who are attacking that the innocence of the victims will guarantee them a spot in paradise, so the truly delusional terrorist can use that over any internal morality debate.

In a sense the true terrorist feels that he's achieving two goals, one political and one spiritual. The political, to terrorize. Spiritual for himself he's showing his devotion to the cause, and also that there is a good chance that his victims are going to paradise.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
kids at a pop concert.

whomever did this targeted kids.

i'm at a loss for words.
Chances are that the whom is now dead, these types of terrorist attacks aren't centrally planned by ISIS. They basically encourage people either on line or in person to simply "do something and the more monstrous the better"

Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #50
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Keep this on topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #51
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted on Twitter, a helpful reminder, thank you Mr. Rogers.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #52
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This is the definition of terrorism, this is no surprise. If your a terrorist you want to strike fear and strike at the soft spots of society.

Remember that one of the tools that these leaders use to attack children and the innocent is to tell the people who are attacking that the innocence of the victims will guarantee them a spot in paradise, so the truly delusional terrorist can use that over any internal morality debate.

In a sense the true terrorist feels that he's achieving two goals, one political and one spiritual. The political, to terrorize. Spiritual for himself he's showing his devotion to the cause, and also that there is a good chance that his victims are going to paradise.
I get that but what I don't get is their end game, what they are doing is making every other type of faith or even non believers hate Islam. Do they think everyone else will bow down to them? Do they think they can take over the world?
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #53
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This isn't the thread for this debate, however man will find reasons to kill each other and hate each other beyond the reasons of religion.

Man will kill over wealth, resources, sex, territory, the color of our skin, its an never ending cycle. When you post stuff like this, your actually insulting the millions of people that follow religion that don't hate and don't kill and don't follow the path of jihad.

You can talk about evolving away from religion, and I believe it will absolutely happen, if mankind survives that long, or maybe we'll find another religion to follow. But the only way that the killing stops is for mankind evolves away from the baser emotions like hate, jealousy, desire, ambition.

Do you really believe that at their base the leaders of ISIS are driven by religion? Or are they driven by the hunger for power, dominance, control, the pure joy of pulling strings?

Religion is just a cover story to dupe stupid young men and woman who are too lazy, or too stupid to study their religion to hate.

A person that hears the message that their god wants them to kill, and doesn't question why it goes against a tenant of their religion (Ie, though shalt not kill, “…whosoever killeth a human being… it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind…” is not following their religion.
Reposted for truth. Thank you again.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I get that but what I don't get is their end game, what they are doing is making every other type of faith or even non believers hate Islam. Do they think everyone else will bow down to them? Do they think they can take over the world?
To me it has nothing to do with ruling the world, or even destroying other faiths. they might be the accompanying goal but not the main goal. To me terrorism has changed. It used to be about forcing a political agenda or a type of change.

Now it to me and its my theory is this.

ISIS wants the world to hate Islam, they want to create a visceral reaction to these acts of terror, they want the world to distrust Islam, and close their borders to Islam, so that the poor and the disenfranchised will only have one choice, and that's to return home, and to blame the West and then . . . to wage war against the West.

This is all about turning the world against Islam, and its all about turning Islam against the World.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #55
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

It'll be interesting to see if it ends up being recent refugees or home grown radicalized Muslims that carried out this attack.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That'll be the question, and it probably won't take long to see the answer.

If he's homegrown, the call will be for England to go on the offensive against ISIS.

If he's a immigrant or refugee the pressure on May to slam the borders shut will be immense.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #57
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now it to me and its my theory is this.
You don't need a theory. ISIS publish their own magazine. They're more than happy to tell you exactly what their motivations are:
Quote:
Furthermore, just as your disbelief
is the primary reason we hate you, your disbelief
is the primary reason we fight you, as we have
been commanded to fight the disbelievers until they
submit to the authority of Islam, either by becoming
Muslims, or by paying jizyah – for those afforded this
option – and living in humiliation under the rule of
the Muslims.
See page 30 for the full account.

http://clarionproject.org/factsheets...-the-cross.pdf

There's nothing here that is remotely difficult to understand. They could not be clearer.

That being said, in this particular case, do we have confirmation yet that this was in fact the act of a Jihadist terrorist? There is frequently a lot of confusion flying around in the aftermath of these things. You may recall the misleading information that circulated after the Quebec incident. Best to wait for the facts to come in before drawing those sorts of conclusions.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
So terrorists will never, ever, be able to set off a WMD? Thank god that's dealt with. Thanks PepsiFree!
That's not what I said, what I said is sensationalising these events to fit your narrative is self-serving. Facts are what matters. The facts say its not a big danger to us, the facts say 19 people are dead today, the facts should be more than enough for you to worry about.

There is enough to be outraged about here without saying "I don't like facts because I'm worried they don't re-affirm my belief the sky is falling."

Terrorism is (and I apologise for the crude comparison) like breast cancer. Our concern is disproportionate to its actual damage (for a wide variety of reasons).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #59
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You don't need a theory. They publish their own magazine. They're more than happy to tell you exactly what their motivations are:

See page 30 for the full account.

http://clarionproject.org/factsheets...-the-cross.pdf

There's nothing here that is remotely difficult to understand. They could not be clearer.

That being said, in this particular case, do we have confirmation yet that this was in fact the act of a Jihadist terrorist? There is frequently a lot of confusion flying around in the aftermath of these things. You may recall the misleading information that circulated after the Quebec incident. Best to wait for the facts to come in before drawing those sorts of conclusions.
I'm getting the impression that the police know who the attacker was, but are withholding his name for the purpose of their investigation.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have trouble believing that a propaganda and recruiting magazine is telling the outright truth about the end goals of the organization.

At the same time ISIS was pretty much founded by unemployed former senior Iraqi soldiers and government members who basically needed a job, and members of the Iraqi government at the time of Saddam were hardly what you would call devote Muslims.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: