Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2017, 12:23 AM   #3001
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Start another thread please.

Ken's edit- we removed all the religion posts in this thread. Let's keep this about science news.

Last edited by ken0042; 04-25-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: .
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #3002
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Not sure if you've heard of those sailing stones in Death Valley. Basically rocks that move and leave behind a trail, but no one has been able to figure out how they move.

Someone finally figured it out!

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...s-for-70-years

It's rare to see the stones in motion, but there's a clear sign that they've been on the move. Behind the rocks are long, sometimes winding trails in the dirt. Scientists have used GPS units to track to stones' movements, and have proven that they're mobile. They were first publicly documented in the early 1900s, but for decades, nobody could explain how they moved, according to Richard Norris, an oceanographer at University of California San Diego, and one of the researchers who finally solved the mystery of the rocks.

To figure it all out, Norris and his cousin attached specially-designed GPS units to the back of rocks they had brought into Death Valley (the National Parks Service wouldn't let them mess with the rocks that were already there). They also installed a weather station, and then...they waited.

Spoiler!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #3003
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what would have been even more convincing? A video of it actually happening. Like, come on! You spend 2 years on it, and it actually happens in front of you and you don't even video it? I call BS. I think they got sick of trying to figure it out and made up a story that didn't involve aliens.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #3004
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Glad somebody figured it out. No doubt the religious types probably tried explaining this as an act of god.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #3005
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is though. God makes ice. God makes rocks. God makes wind. God makes wind push rocks on ice. Full circle logic.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #3006
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I was kinda hoping it was ghosts.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #3007
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Not sure if you've heard of those sailing stones in Death Valley. Basically rocks that move and leave behind a trail, but no one has been able to figure out how they move.

Someone finally figured it out!

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...s-for-70-years

It's rare to see the stones in motion, but there's a clear sign that they've been on the move. Behind the rocks are long, sometimes winding trails in the dirt. Scientists have used GPS units to track to stones' movements, and have proven that they're mobile. They were first publicly documented in the early 1900s, but for decades, nobody could explain how they moved, according to Richard Norris, an oceanographer at University of California San Diego, and one of the researchers who finally solved the mystery of the rocks.

To figure it all out, Norris and his cousin attached specially-designed GPS units to the back of rocks they had brought into Death Valley (the National Parks Service wouldn't let them mess with the rocks that were already there). They also installed a weather station, and then...they waited.

Spoiler!

Is this really new?

I swear when I saw the photo of your post I thought to myself "oh yah I saw that, the water freezes and slide or something". Maybe I am crazy

Edit: yah there was an article in 2014 I must have read

http://www.sci-news.com/physics/scie...nes-02148.html
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #3008
photon

Exp:

Would you like some plastic with your salt? 16 out of 17 brands of sea salt tested as having microscopic plastic particles, from 1 to 10 particles per Kg. That's ok though, ingestion of up to 37 is safe...

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep46173
Old 05-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #3009
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Scientists implant transparent wing cases on a ladybug to see how they fold their wings.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ld-their-wings
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #3010
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dino "mummy" finally on display in Drumheller.

Quote:
The animal probably died as it lived — defying predators with its heavy armor and size — and after 110 million years, its face remains frozen in a ferocious reptilian glare.

How the animal, a land-dwelling, plant-eating nodosaur, died is not known, but somehow its body ended up at the bottom of an ancient sea. Minerals kept the remains remarkably intact, gradually turning the body into a fossil. And when it was unearthed in 2011, scientists quickly realized that it was the best-preserved specimen of its kind.

“It’s basically a dinosaur mummy — it really is exceptional,” said Don Brinkman, director of preservation and research at the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta. The dinosaur, with fossilized skin and gut contents intact, came from the Millennium Mine six years ago in the oil sands of northern Alberta, once a seabed.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #3011
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

KIC 8462852 - or "Tabby's Star", or "the Alien Megastructure Star" - has been acting weird again.

Quote:
What makes this star so bizarre is that its dips in brightness don't seem to follow any obvious patterns. When planets or even comets pass in front of their stars, it tends to happen at regular, predictable intervals and they usually block out the same amount of a star's light as the last time they made a pass. But the dips seen in the brightness of KIC 8462852 don't occur on a very tight schedule and they vary in how much they dim the star's light: anywhere from three to more than 20 percent.

To make things even weirder, old observations of the star show it has also dimmed slowly over the course of the past century. So in addition to these odd short term dips where something seems to pass in front of the star, it's also getting noticeably less bright over the long term, as if someone is turning down its energy output like you might with your living room lights using a dimmer switch. We just don't see many, if any, other stars behaving this way.

So back to the latest observations: by May 19, the light seen from KIC 8462853 had dropped by as much as 3 percent over a period of around 24 hours.
https://www.cnet.com/news/kic-846285...ti-star-space/

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #3012
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to go with space clouds over aliens.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #3013
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Link

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #3014
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm going to go with space clouds over aliens.
Clearly someone is building a Dyson sphere.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #3015
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Dino "mummy" finally on display in Drumheller.

God I hate robot voice YouTube news articles. Why are they a thing?

Every human being capable of posting A video to YouTube, has a bloody microphone in at least one device they own.

If I've been insensitive to a robot that may have posted the video. My apologies.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #3016
photon

Exp:

We may have had the first direct viewing of the formation of a black hole. Neat!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #3017
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Clearly someone is building a Dyson sphere.
The thing is Dyson's spheres would not be practical. Any slight nudge and the whole thing would destabilize and crash into the sun. A Dyson's swarm, on the other hand, might make sense.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #3018
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
The thing is Dyson's spheres would not be practical. Any slight nudge and the whole thing would destabilize and crash into the sun. A Dyson's swarm, on the other hand, might make sense.
Given the millions of other technological advances that would be required in order to make one, I'm not sure that would really be a limiting factor.

Something that harnesses the entire power of a star might be able to avoid destabilization.

I agree that a swarm or ring would be a lot easier to implement, but it would also not collect as much energy.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #3019
photon

Exp:

Low tech experiment may result in a new understanding of neutrinos being their own anti-particle (something usually reserved for bosons) and move beyond the Standard Model.

At the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), physicists accelerate particles to the highest energies and in the greatest numbers that humanity has ever achieved. We smash them together at greater than 99.999999% the speed of light, attempting to create new, never-before-seen particles and solve the Universe's greatest, most fundamental mysteries. Despite discovering the Higgs boson and creating millions of these collisions every second for years, it's never found anything that's taken us beyond the particles and interactions of the Standard Model. But a completely different, mundane approach has the potential to do exactly that: simply gather a large number of radioactive, unstable particles together inside a detector, and wait. If a new type of decay occurs, it will revolutionize how we understand neutrinos, taking us beyond the Standard Model in an elegant, surprising, and long-anticipated way.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...-the-lhc-cant/
Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 AM   #3020
photon

Exp:

LIGO detects a 3rd black hole merger.

Today, the team behind the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) is announcing the detection of a third black hole merger, the first from its second operational run. The merger shares some features with the previous ones: the black holes were bigger than expected, and their merger released a staggering amount of energy. But the LIGO team was also able to extract some information about the details of the collision and propagation of gravitational waves. These details tell us someting about the limits of general relativity and the history of the black holes themselves.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...-on-gravitons/

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science