Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #21
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Xplornet bought Platinum Communications a while back so I'd imagine a lot of their Alberta service is based on that.

If you do something that is line of sight with point to point radios you should get decent service, however the speeds and bandwidth restrictions are probably really stupid. We do 30Mbps down and up on a fixed point to point solution with 99% uptime.

As for the cell phone booster, I have a Zboost system with an external yagi antenna. Works great. Get full data speeds in a fairly big house. The key is the external yagi antenna to maximize the dbi gains.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
That is my biggest fear. I do not have the patience for crap like 15-20-30 seconds to load a page, constant buffering, no netflix, etc. There has got to be an alternative provider, or else a way to keep them from throttling me. I read one thing that says to use a VPN, but someone else (who knows more about computers than I do) says that that's not logical.

I was hoping one of you smartie pants would tell me that it actually is possible.
Something slightly off topic, but you do know there's a netflix offline option, right? Although it doesn't have all the shows and movies, you can acquire stuff to watch in Calgary and take it with you, or spend extra time downloading it and watching it without buffering.

I also seem to recall reading something a while back about individuals using old satellite dishes to bounces signals at their home to "boost it". Certain other "boosters" use a similar concept by attaching an antenna on a roof (per se) and then relays the signal inside the home. If a neighbor is blocking the signals, I wonder if maybe a dish strategically placed could help? Those dishes aren't expensive to acquire on Kijiji AFAIK.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote