Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Japan knife attack leaves at least 15 dead.

More depressing news for today.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/japan-d...tack-1.3694642

A former employee fatally wounds disabled people.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Now the reports say 19 killed, over 45 injured.

Good lord how horrific.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Pro-gun people are going to nod their head knowingly while saying that if you ban guns people will use knives.

It just seems lately that its a world gone mad.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Very sad, this is on the news all day here today...

And yet...

RE: What are the chances of a mass shooting in Japan?
"In 2014, the U.S. had 33,599 gun-related deaths. In that same year, Japan had six."

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.V5bfa_krLIV
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Pro-gun people are going to nod their head knowingly while saying that if you ban guns people will use knives.

It just seems lately that its a world gone mad.
Or if he had a gun it would have been so much worse.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its weird, because it wasn't that long ago where I would have been one of those guys, the whole guns don't kill people, people kill people, and if you ban guns, humanity with its violent under surface would find a way to kill.

If this had been gun related it would have been far worse, but I'm not going to sit here and say thank goodness he didn't have a gun, and we got luck that it was only 19 people that are dead. Its a tragedy no matter how you look at it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:58 AM   #7
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some dumb American on my Facebook is using this tragedy as an example that "guns don't kill people".

I kindly reminded him that Japan has close to 130 million people and had 1 gun related death last year.

Not to mention this was an attack on people who couldn't fight back. What an idiot.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like a Schizophrenic
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its weird, because it wasn't that long ago where I would have been one of those guys, the whole guns don't kill people, people kill people, and if you ban guns, humanity with its violent under surface would find a way to kill.

If this had been gun related it would have been far worse, but I'm not going to sit here and say thank goodness he didn't have a gun, and we got luck that it was only 19 people that are dead. Its a tragedy no matter how you look at it.
By the sounds of it the victims were living in a home for the disabled. So it's not like they were able to flee or fight back. What a heinous act.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seems like mental health really is the biggest issue in all of these cases.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schizophrenic or not, this despicable human garbage not only murdered innocent people, he murdered developmentally disable people, which is the same as killing small children. The fact that he likely will be assigned to a fully-serviced and nicely appointed mental institution for reasons of insanity just adds insult to the memory of those that died. The issue that bothers me the most here is such a low level of security considering the extreme vulnerability of the residents. No alarm, no security guards on duty, so easy to enter??? The Governor that ignored his warning letter should be fired and face arrest for criminal negligence ...

What a tragedy!..
Old 07-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Schizophrenic or not, this despicable human garbage not only murdered innocent people, he murdered developmentally disable people, which is the same as killing small children. The fact that he likely will be assigned to a fully-serviced and nicely appointed mental institution for reasons of insanity just adds insult to the memory of those that died. The issue that bothers me the most here is such a low level of security considering the extreme vulnerability of the residents. No alarm, no security guards on duty, so easy to enter??? The Governor that ignored his warning letter should be fired and face arrest for criminal negligence ...

What a tragedy!..
Interesting outrage over the security issue here. I don't think these institutes need to be turned into armed fortresses just in case a crazy knife wielding maniac wants to get inside - this is truly a one off case, especially in a place like Japan.

The lack of security is really no different here in north america, as you could just as easily walk into an "assisted living" center to get access to physically & mentally vulnerable residents.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #13
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tragedy. Unthinkable. Sad.

But this was a one-off by someone who is very mentally ill. Japan doesn't need to rethink how it governs.

The US on the other hand...
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #14
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Interesting outrage over the security issue here. I don't think these institutes need to be turned into armed fortresses just in case a crazy knife wielding maniac wants to get inside - this is truly a one off case, especially in a place like Japan.

The lack of security is really no different here in north america, as you could just as easily walk into an "assisted living" center to get access to physically & mentally vulnerable residents.
I don't agree, having been through my parents being in both an assisted living facility and a nursing home, you had to have a code to get into the lobby and get buzzed in to different areas within the building.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #15
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only that. Even in an assisted living/nursing home facility, most residents are capable of understanding the dangerous situation and pressing the alarm button on their bedside. Developmentally disabled residents cannot comprehend the danger. I wish this mo...er lives the rest of his life in agonizing and excruciating pain.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #16
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"
The knife-wielding attacker who slit the throats of dozens of residents at a care home for people with disabilities on Tuesday cited a belief in the ideology of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler during a brief period of hospitalization in February. He was so persistent in his threats that the facility installed extra security and kept in close contact with police"
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.V5ojzrgrKM9
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote