Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #41
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah yeah I just have a mental disconnect because a truck is a quintessentially practical vehicle as opposed to a toy to me. Forget it. Carry on. I'm actually curious as to why no one has mentioned diesel.
I never mentioned diesel because he's talking about towing a tent trailer, not the space shuttle.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #42
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When I was shopping around a few years ago I found that SUVs (mid and full size) were laughably priced compared to pick ups. For $30-35k you can get a very decent pick up while that same price gets you a base level mid-size SUV. That price doesn't even get you into a full size SUV (i.e. Sierra versus Yukon - stupid price differences).

Also, trucks are handy. No denying that. If you're even remotely a DIY sort of person, you'll find value in a truck.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #43
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For what it's worth, I drive a 2014 F-150 supercrew ecoboost. Absolutely love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #44
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Diesel is best, but usually not worth the additional cost of the powertrain. Avoid the expensive trim packages but try and find something with most of the essential bells and whistles. I prefer the Sierra over everything else, I've had one for 9 years and aside from maintenance I haven't put a dime into it.

Also please buy mudflaps, half the morons in this city are too cheap to throw $150 worth of mudflaps on their 60k truck, its pathetic.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #45
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If I buy mud flaps, how can I spray rocks at the person I cut off? (you know, to rub it in!)

PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #46
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy uses tailgaters to justify not having them, but jokes on him, the rockers and quarters are starting to rust on his 4 year old truck. Behind the wheels gets beat to #### without something to stop the rocks.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #47
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Rather be Cummin than Strokin'

Pretty much all you need to know when shopping for trucks
Tractor truck!
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #48
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

As far as diesels go, if the only hauling you are doing is the occasional tugging of a tent trailer, and hauling air, the only diesel that makes sense is a Jetta.

Cummins, duramax and power stroke won't even know the tent trailer is on the back.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #49
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The diesels aren't even available in 1/2 tons are they?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #50
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The diesels aren't even available in 1/2 tons are they?
Dodge came out with a 1/2 ton diesel a couple years ago, called the "Eco Diesel".
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #51
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where are people finding these mystical F-150s for 30-35K? I guess maybe you could get the base model XTR for that, but I can't see you getting into an FX4 or a Lariat for anything below 45K (and that's with employee pricing and zero percent financing). I just sold my F150 FX4 (2012) and got 25K on a trade in and it was almost 5 years old.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-25-2016 at 11:32 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #52
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Where are people finding these mystical F-150s for 30-35K? I guess maybe you could get the base model XTR for that, but I can't see you getting into an FX4 or a Lariat for anything below 45K (and that's with employee pricing and zero percent financing). I just sold my F150 FX4 (2012) and got 25K on a trade in and it was almost 5 years old.
I bought my 2014 fx4 supercrew ecoboost with the 402a package (essentially loaded) for 43k, brand new. 15k off sticker price.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #53
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Using the ford.ca f-150 configurator, an XLT that tows 9700lbs is $32K.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #54
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Haha at least I wasn't hockey.modern who is 'considering' a 70K truck! Yikes!

Hey now, I won't be getting a new truck. They're much cheaper than that used, lol.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #55
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the new GM small trucks. The Canyon/Colorado are great although the interior is no where near as flashy or nice as the full size trucks. The diesel is the big selling point for me in those trucks coupled with the smaller size.

The new Ranger should be a great truck too and I think the interior will be much nicer than the GM trucks.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #56
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Where are people finding these mystical F-150s for 30-35K? I guess maybe you could get the base model XTR for that, but I can't see you getting into an FX4 or a Lariat for anything below 45K (and that's with employee pricing and zero percent financing). I just told my F150 FX4 (2012) and got 25K on a trade in and it was almost 5 years old.
lol, well yeah, obviously. OP said he didn't need a loaded truck.

FWIW, my $29,200 F-150 is (still have it for another month) an XLT 4x4 extended cab. Base V6. Has the tow package, SYNC and a few other things. Not loaded by any stretch, but a super capable work truck that has often doubled as a DD. Way more vehicle than a loaded Honda Civic, which isn't far off that price.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #57
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I really like the new GM small trucks. The Canyon/Colorado are great although the interior is no where near as flashy or nice as the full size trucks. The diesel is the big selling point for me in those trucks coupled with the smaller size.

The new Ranger should be a great truck too and I think the interior will be much nicer than the GM trucks.
Buying new, I'd get a Tacoma way before I'd get a Colorado. Tacomas hold their value crazy well. The Colorado will plummet.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #58
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, well yeah, obviously. OP said he didn't need a loaded truck.

FWIW, my $29,200 F-150 is (still have it for another month) an XLT 4x4 extended cab. Base V6. Has the tow package, SYNC and a few other things. Not loaded by any stretch, but a super capable work truck that has often doubled as a DD. Way more vehicle than a loaded Honda Civic, which isn't far off that price.
Same logic (your Civic example) was the reason I bought the FX4 to begin. It was cheaper than the Explorer I originally went to purchase despite it having as many or more options and a lot more towing capability (and it looked much more masculine).
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #59
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've never drove one or know the price point, but I was in my buddy's Tundra the other day, and the interior blew the F150s away which was loaded. With Ford, you are getting a pretty standard interior. The Tundra has a pretty luxurious cabin.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #60
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
I've never drove one or know the price point, but I was in my buddy's Tundra the other day, and the interior blew the F150s away which was loaded. With Ford, you are getting a pretty standard interior. The Tundra has a pretty luxurious cabin.
Personal preference i guess. I hated the interior of the tundra, but I really like my F150 Sport interior... The Sierra was nice except for the fact you can't get a console gear shift (which is high on my list), and the back seat was too small for car seats.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote