Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #41
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Kelowna doesn't have the greatest winter weather. Between November and February it actually gets about 20% less sun than Vancouver does and less than half of what Calgary gets. It's kind of the worst of both worlds; the dreariness of the coast without the warmer temperatures that usually accompany it. It is pretty dry though, and the other 8 months are generally nice.

Personally I prefer the rainier but warmer coastal weather of Victoria. Not because I enjoy the rain, but because of the lushness that the wetter winter weather and longer growing season provide.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #42
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^True about the cloudiness, but the average temperatures and length of winter are much nicer than Calgary's
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #43
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
^^True about the cloudiness, but the average temperatures and length of winter are much nicer than Calgary's
Of the 14 years I lived in Kelowna, I would take Calgary's winter 13 out of 14 times. I can deal with the cold no problem (it was always 10-15 degrees colder above the valley anyway), and I'll take sunshine over endless dreariness. Of course, the Okanagan in the summer can't be beat, so it's a tradeoff.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #44
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.

Heading to Kelowna next week and we'll be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary while there. Any suggestions on somewhat reasonably priced eats that would suit the occasion? Wineries are obvious - any that stand out? Any other good spots that won't break the bank?
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #45
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Big fan of Raudz downtown. Prices are not bad and the food is excellent. http://www.raudz.com
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #46
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Big fan of Raudz downtown. Prices are not bad and the food is excellent. http://www.raudz.com
Yeah we've been told about that place in the past and recommended others go but never actually been ourselves. This might be the time to give it a try.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #47
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flintstone park (Bedrock City).

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #48
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Bump.

Heading to Kelowna next week and we'll be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary while there. Any suggestions on somewhat reasonably priced eats that would suit the occasion? Wineries are obvious - any that stand out? Any other good spots that won't break the bank?
I'm a fan of the Quail's Gate restaurant. I've always been impressed with the food there.
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slots881 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #49
beaver buzz
Draft Pick

A friend of mine is the brewmaster at BNA Brewing. I've tasted the Earl beer and it's quite good though I can't speak towards the food. From what I'm told it's quite a popular place these days in Kelowna so it might be worth checking out.

Last edited by beaver buzz; 07-26-2016 at 12:19 PM.
beaver buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beaver buzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #50
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Been living in Kelowna for a few years I would definitely recommend checking out BNA, it is a really cool new bar with great food and excellent beer. I don't know if I would recommend it for the big dinner but definitely a great spot to check out. Another restaurant I would recommend is the Harvest Golf Club, great food and very reasonable prices and it's a great spot. Raudz is also a good spot for a nice dinner. As for wineries there is one called Dirty Laundry that is just by Summerland (~20 min drive) that is really cool and not as hustle and bustle as the big ones such as Quails Gate.
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emti For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #51
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring a cooler with ice if you expect to buy wine. Less likelihood of cooking your wine if you buy. I have a soft spot for Sperling Winery. The Foch is a personal favourite, but not everyone may like its taste.

Leather seats? Consider bringing a micro fleece blanket to cover the seat in between tastings. They work great for impromptu picnics as well.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #52
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can get down to the Summerland area, dinner on the patio at Evolve Cellars is amazing. Not too pricey iirc, but very good food- and one of the best patios in the area.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BITCCxXjEfk/
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #53
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Flintstone park (Bedrock City).
bahahahaha!!! that place got torn down eons ago!!! you can go see a movie at that location now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Bring a cooler with ice if you expect to buy wine. Less likelihood of cooking your wine if you buy. I have a soft spot for Sperling Winery. The Foch is a personal favourite, but not everyone may like its taste.

Leather seats? Consider bringing a micro fleece blanket to cover the seat in between tastings. They work great for impromptu picnics as well.
i went to high school/graduated with the sperling's daughter - really nice family

'cool story bro'
Old 07-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #54
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
bahahahaha!!! that place got torn down eons ago!!! you can go see a movie at that location now!

i went to high school/graduated with the sperling's daughter - really nice family

'cool story bro'
It has been too long

Spoiler!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #55
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
Yes, I'm aware... Spent many days boiling under the Kelowna Sun playing there as a wee lad in that park.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

BNA is cool, but its hipster central crowd wise.

Beaumont Family Winery is nice little place, had some good wines. Not busy by any means. Little straw just up the hill I really enjoyed as well.

I'd stay away from Mission Hill and Quails gate unless you really like the wine. Always busy when I go there.

Minstrel Cafe and Bar was really really good, but it appears they sold and closed for the summer unfortuantely.

I liked Raudz but you have to be early as they don't take Reso's IIRC.

If you want to do a big dinner I would check out Waterfront Wines. Tiny little restaurant with amazing food and ambiance.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #57
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
BNA is cool, but its hipster central crowd wise.
Thanks for the hipster warning - disaster averted ;-)
Old 07-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #58
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got back from k-town and really liked the hotel el dorado restaurant. It's a cool 1920's rowing club with a fantastic boardwalk and deck on the water. Food is good but the setting is great.

If you're up for a twenty minute drive and don't like crowds I really loved the deck at the Okanagan resort on the Westside road towards Fintry. The place was empty and has a terrific view and a serious '70's feel.

If all else fails...Pete's Perogie Palace.

Wine tip...Sandhill Rose is the best in the valley. The Vibrant Vine's Woops blend won the best white in the world medal by accident. It's stellar.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 07-26-2016 at 02:17 PM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #59
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the following comment isn't sacrilegious... but personally, I enjoy the Penticton and Naramata region in general more than I did in Kelowna. I love driving in that area as it's mostly scenic lake views all the way down.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #60
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I hope the following comment isn't sacrilegious... but personally, I enjoy the Penticton and Naramata region in general more than I did in Kelowna. I love driving in that area as it's mostly scenic lake views all the way down.
Im the same. My parents live in Penticton so I know the city well.

If you do make it that way they have some great spots like La Casa Ouzeria (Greek) Villa Rosa Ristorante (Italian) or Salty's (Seafood)
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:

Tags
kelowna , please say go kart , please say minigolf