Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #481
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Is this true in most people's experience? I'm only asking because in my 20+ years of working for 4 different companies vision benefits have never been part of the package at any of them.
I would say some, not most. I've never had vision covered, per se, but I have had a "health spending account" in addition to my regular benefits, which could be used towards vision (or numerous other things). Unfortunately, the eye exam and glasses pretty much takes the entire thing.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #482
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

hey Hes - I'm thinking of getting a home-use IPL device for hair removal. Manufacturer says that the wavelength of light emitted is between 500 to 1200nm and that protective eyewear is not needed to use the device. Even if using it on your face. www.silkn.com/buy-flash-and-go-express

Does that seem legit to you? Or would you recommend dropping an extra $70 or so and picking up something approved for IPL operators in that wavelength? kinda like this: http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Glasses.../dp/B00UJ7R6GK
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #483
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogabooga View Post
Don't mean to bump an old thread but we just got our 13 month old eyes checked my wife has poor vision and he's been walking into a lot of things that he should really be seeing
We were told he's at a +3.5 in both eyes and borderline for glasses and to be rechecked every 6 months
My wife is concerned that he should have the glasses now as she also needed them at around the same age
+3.5 is considered a borderline Rx at that age. The concern is if that prescription starts to cause the eyes to pull inwards, creating a lazy eye. If you see that then you should bring him right back.

6 months at that age can make a big difference. He could be a +2.50 by then, so it is ok to wait it out if there is no eye-turn.

It is also tough to decipher if he is running into things due to the vision, or just getting used to the body.

Did they do a dilated examination with drops to determine the Rx ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #484
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
hey Hes - I'm thinking of getting a home-use IPL device for hair removal. Manufacturer says that the wavelength of light emitted is between 500 to 1200nm and that protective eyewear is not needed to use the device. Even if using it on your face. www.silkn.com/buy-flash-and-go-express

Does that seem legit to you? Or would you recommend dropping an extra $70 or so and picking up something approved for IPL operators in that wavelength? kinda like this: http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Glasses.../dp/B00UJ7R6GK
Less than 400 is UV.. which can be a problem. You are good there. Over approx: 800 would be considered Infra-red. Which is mostly harmless. You are likely ok as long as your are not exposing it consistently and directly to the eye.

You will feel the heat of IR if it is doing damage. So it is easy to tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #485
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
+3.5 is considered a borderline Rx at that age. The concern is if that prescription starts to cause the eyes to pull inwards, creating a lazy eye. If you see that then you should bring him right back.

6 months at that age can make a big difference. He could be a +2.50 by then, so it is ok to wait it out if there is no eye-turn.

It is also tough to decipher if he is running into things due to the vision, or just getting used to the body.

Did they do a dilated examination with drops to determine the Rx ?
Yes they did do a dilation exam and found that he was the same dilated as undilated they also said that they suspect he will need glasses as he gets older into preschool and kindergarten
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #486
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Bump.

Hes, I've been wearing contacts for a better part of my life now, 15+ years and I'm able to wear my monthlies(overnights) for 1.5 - 2 months at a time. Is this damaging my eyes? I usually take them out once or twice overnight to give my eyes a rest but I don't have glasses so I can't leave them out longer. Secondly, my prescription is around -4.75 do you know if this would be an issue if I wanted to go the laser surgery road? Any places you'd suggest to get a consultation? THANKS.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #487
Knut

Exp:

^ Going over the recommended time on contacts is kind of like going over the speed limit all the time. You increase your risk of something bad happening, but you may never have an issue. Infection, inflammation and corneal ulcers are the biggest worries.

If you are sleeping in your contact lenses then you definitely should be sticking with the one month of use. After a month the amount of the oxygen your eye receives will start dropping and your nerves can actually shut down. That means you could be having issues and not even feel them until the lens comes off. When was your last appointment with an Optometrist ?

Having a back up pair of glasses is key. If you get pink eye and can not wear your glasses, then you basically can not drive, work or do anything outside of the house. Buy yourself a cheap pair just in case.

I personally never fit anyone with 30 day overnight lenses. The nastiest infections I have seen have been with them.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #488
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible to keep the same frames and just replace the lenses? I really like my frames and they weren't cheap. I have Progressives but won't be getting those again (I hate them).
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #489
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Since this got bumped, and I need to head in to get new glasses.

Dynamic Lenses.

What are your thoughts? My optometrist recommended them, and he said he uses them.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #490
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Is it possible to keep the same frames and just replace the lenses? I really like my frames and they weren't cheap. I have Progressives but won't be getting those again (I hate them).

Yes, I've done this a few times since my prescriptions can change every 6 months. Usually there is a $25 charge for "own frames" and they make you sign a waiver that if the frames break they aren't responsible, but it can definitely be done.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #491
Knut

Exp:

Own frame is fine. We are doing them a lot this year with the economy down. It works if you take good care of your glasses.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #492
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Own frame is fine. We are doing them a lot this year with the economy down. It works if you take good care of your glasses.
They seem to be in good shape. Got them from one of your stores.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #493
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Since this got bumped, and I need to head in to get new glasses.

Dynamic Lenses.

What are your thoughts? My optometrist recommended them, and he said he uses them.
I honestly have not heard of them before. It could be just a marketing name for the new lenses that take more measurements of the eye to fit the lens custom to a patients eye (eg. distance between eye and lens, axial tilt of the frame and your ideal frame wearing location). Digital, Free-form, Free-form as worn are other names for it.

If that is what it is then I would recommend it for over -2.00 or so and in any progressive lens (vastly reduced distortion).
Old 09-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #494
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I already asked you something.

Years ago I asked your advice when my mom was diagnosed with cataracts and you gave me your thoughts.

I just wanted to say her eyes and vision have been great since, so thank you Hes.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #495
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I personally never fit anyone with 30 day overnight lenses. The nastiest infections I have seen have been with them.
After reading this...

Can you recommend an affordable set of daily's for astigmatism?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #496
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been wearing a pair of indoor glasses that protect against blue light because I'm looking at a screen about 115% of the day. When I'd get home I'd always switch from glasses to contacts, but then found myself wearing my contacts until I went to bed. Apparently they made a difference to how quickly my eyes would dry out every day from wearing my contacts.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #497
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hes,
The vision in my left eye seems to be getting worse, I have Amblyopia so my overall vision feels the same since my right eye is fine. The fact that the left seems to be getting worse (haven't been to an optometrist to find out) is concerning though. Is there anything I can do? Is there even a point of worrying since my right eye is chugging away just fine?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #498
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
After reading this...

Can you recommend an affordable set of daily's for astigmatism?
You should probably get a proper fit done. Dailies range from about 480/year - 850/year depending on the brand. The more expensive ones allow for longer wear times.. the cheap ones are really only good for 12-14 hours/ day

A Better option may be to go to a different monthly lens and just not sleep in it. Those are more affordable and you can wear them 16hrs/day potentially.

Regardless of what lens you use, it is always a good idea to take a break once a week if you can. Sunday Glasses day or something.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #499
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Hes,
The vision in my left eye seems to be getting worse, I have Amblyopia so my overall vision feels the same since my right eye is fine. The fact that the left seems to be getting worse (haven't been to an optometrist to find out) is concerning though. Is there anything I can do? Is there even a point of worrying since my right eye is chugging away just fine?
Go to an Optometrist. Can be prescription, can be something much worse.

If you have an issue that can affect both eyes, and it is starting in your Amblyopic eye, you probably want to find that out before the other eye is affected.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #500
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Crap, I had a feeling it was eye aids.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote