Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #81
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a Silverado and love it. Has been comfortable, bulletproof and good full mileage compared to the others.

The majority of my family and friends have trucks so here are some observations.

Those with F150's really like them. Ecoboost is nice but the advertised fuel economy is tough to achieve in real-world.

Tundras are nice inside but brutal on gas. Personally not a fan of the styling. "Limited slip" rear end is a joke compared to the others. Like the power rear window glass.

Dodges are nice initially but have lots of problems.

The Ridgeline is a minivan with a small box. Not a truck.

F150 and Sierra/Silverado are your best overall choices imo.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #82
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on mobile right now, otherwise this could be a 15 paragraph post.

Simply put, there's no such thing as a bad truck these days. Drive all of them, see what you like, see what prices work for you and away you go.

I just got rid of my Sierra half ton to get a Ram 2500 cummins. Both are fantastic vehicles.

For value, I think the F150 is the way to go. Friend that I work with just got a brand new crew cab XLT, nearly fully loaded, sport package, 3.5l twin turbo v6, for just under 40k. Lose a few options and even go to the 2.7l and you can probably get that near 35k. Cheaper still If willing to go for an extended cab, they're just begging people to buy those.

Last edited by btimbit; 07-26-2016 at 03:46 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #83
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pretty much agree with post above. Drive them all... It's hard to go wrong these days. I feel like all the trucks are good. I have work truck and a personal truck and they are both great.

My personal vehicle is a Tundra. The Crewmax is awesome I don't think you'll find a more spacious cab in the half ton market. Heck even my rear seats recline. It's been very solid and dependable.

Work truck is a Ram 2500 and that thing has taken an absolute pounding. I've been impressed with how Dodge has come along with their interiors. All around a good rig as well.

At the end of the day it just comes down to personal preference and ofcourse price. Good Luck!
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #84
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Driven a few so far. Really narrowing down my selection. The advice in this thread has been great.

Before I get into the 'deal' phase of things I had a question:

Is there a cheap/decent place for accessories?
I'm thinking a bed liner, maybe a cover, and MAYBE step bars (oh, and mud flaps!)

I know the dealership will put all that on if I want it, but I don't necessarily need it all right away and DEFINITELY don't need to pay a premium for any of it. But... I would also like to avoid doing any of it myself (unless it's easy for the non-mechanically inclined).

Suggestions?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #85
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Driven a few so far. Really narrowing down my selection. The advice in this thread has been great.

I'm thinking a bed liner, maybe a cover, and MAYBE step bars (oh, and mud flaps!)

I know the dealership will put all that on if I want it, but I don't necessarily need it all right away and DEFINITELY don't need to pay a premium for any of it. But... I would also like to avoid doing any of it myself (unless it's easy for the non-mechanically inclined).

Suggestions?

buy everything you can online.

Bedliner I would wait a few years. Since they scuff the crap out of the bed when they put it on, I figured I'd wait a few years and get it done later.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #86
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get the dealer to do the bedliner, the rest online or through cap it or another local place.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #87
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Spray in bed liner is the way to go IMO.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #88
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Those with F150's really like them. Ecoboost is nice but the advertised fuel economy is tough to achieve in real-world.
Really? Anecdotal evidence warning, but everyone I have talked to who owns a eco boost either loves them, or hated them and pitched them shortly after taking delivery. Ford seemingly found a way to manifest a enigma into an automobile. Never talked to anyone who is like "yeaaaah my eco boost is ok..."

Just my own observation.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #89
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Get the dealer to do the bedliner, the rest online or through cap it or another local place.
I second this. When searching around, I found the price on spray in bedliners the same whether through dealership or not. Was easier for me to pick the truck up with the liner already in it. The other accessories I found were cheaper outside the dealership.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #90
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Suggestions?
Suggestions for someone who cant install their own nerf bars, cover or maybe mud flaps?

Yup. Buy the ridgeline. Enjoy your new car.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #91
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Suggestions for someone who cant install their own nerf bars, cover or maybe mud flaps?

"Can't" and "would rather pay someone to do it for me" aren't the same thing, gramps.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #92
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

Hur Hur!

Op, try life without the step bars first. I hated them because if you have them but don't use them, they get your pants dirty.

Box covers are sonething you really need to think about before you buy. There are three different kinds and they all have pros and cons. Kind of too much to type on my phone right now, but they are definitely cheaper at various truck accessory places or Kijiji.

Sprayed bed liner is mandatory.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #93
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
"Can't" and "would rather pay someone to do it for me" aren't the same thing, gramps.

You're the kind of guy who'd bitch if he was hung with a new rope.

It was a joke, lighten up.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #94
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an option to ponder. I've always been a big proponent of wood box liners. They protect the bed without scratching the crap out of the things you are hauling around. When you are done with the truck you can easily unscrew and remove the liner and you'll have a gleaming factory fresh bed underneath just in time for resale.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #95
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Really? Anecdotal evidence warning, but everyone I have talked to who owns a eco boost either loves them, or hated them and pitched them shortly after taking delivery. Ford seemingly found a way to manifest a enigma into an automobile. Never talked to anyone who is like "yeaaaah my eco boost is ok..."

Just my own observation.
Interesting, I guess the people I know all fall into the "love it" crowd. I have heard plenty about how thirsty the ecoboost becomes if you put your put in it, or are towing.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #96
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Interesting, I guess the people I know all fall into the "love it" crowd. I have heard plenty about how thirsty the ecoboost becomes if you put your put in it, or are towing.
My one buddy swears by it, loves it, wouldn't trade it for anything else.

He drives mostly highway, and hauls air.

Another buddy had one that saw regular trips down the gravel for work, and he used it a couple times to haul his sled trailer. Sold it after a month and picked up a Dodge.

Heard some complaints about fuel mileage from the eco boosts, but again heard quite a few people rave about them. Depends who you talk to I guess? They are a nice truck to ride in, that's all I can speak to, I've never owned a eco-boost.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #97
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind the ecoboost, the difference in mileage coming from the 5.4L is huge. I keep thinking it must be near time to fuel up, I look down and there is still over 1/2 a tank. The only thing I don't love about it is it's lacking in off the line power, as soon as the turbo kicks in a couple seconds later it has lots of get up and go though. Haven't towed any trailers yet but I imagine it wouldn't be great towing something heavy without the low end tourqe of the V-8's or diesels. A light trailer like OP is talking about should be fine though.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #98
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get great mileage on my eco boost.. Its not a truck however.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #99
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm honestly surprised the 1/2 ton Dodge diesels didn't take off in popularity moreso than they have.

Good fuel economy in a half ton that can still tug a load? Sign me up.

Maybe the higher price tag either makes potential buyers balk or bite the bullet and go all in on a regular diesel?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #100
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Suggestions?
Truck Nuts. Negotiate well enough and they'll throw them in, maybe even install them for you.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: