Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #721
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Want to golf with Micheal Ferland?

There’s a catch of course…first you have to golf with me…

I suddenly find myself needing to fill two spots for a charity tournament this Thursday, July 21. Ferland and his friend were in until today when his sister had a baby and he wanted to head home right away and be with his family in Manitoba. So now they won't make it and I am looking for replacements on short notice.

The details are as follows:

Course: Sirocco
Time: 8:30 am shotgun (Texas scramble)
Cost: $225 per player includes breakfast (at course starting 7:30) and dinner and prizes after golf.

The deal for two brave souls who step forward and help cover for Ferland on this tournament is that when he is back the four of us will go for a round (probably at Gleneagles but open to other options).

Anybody interested send me PM.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #722
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Headed down to New Zealand next week and decided to bring the clubs with me. I can't even begin to describe my excitement over the fact that I get to play these two courses.

Cape Kidnappers:

Kauri Cliffs:
Been busy so I haven't had a chance to follow up on this post until now but the golf portion of my trip turned out way better than expected. I ended up having both courses to myself (aka me and my caddie with not a single other soul on the course) which was an phenomenal experience. Both courses are absolutely stunning, in immaculate shape (apparently during their busy season they only get roughly 30 golfers a day), and really really difficult. If you're ever in that part of the world I highly recommend checking one or both of them out.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wpgflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #723
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ how does a course like that pay the bills with only 30 golfers a day? are the green fees $100,000 a round or something?
Old 07-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #724
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ how does a course like that pay the bills with only 30 golfers a day? are the green fees $100,000 a round or something?
The resorts on the properties are the main business (which I did not get a chance to check out since I can't really afford 1400 NZD a night). I'm speculating here, but I think the courses were only added because the owner Julian Robertson likes to golf.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #725
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

That first picture from NZ just makes me think: "What a beautiful course! Lost ball. Lost ball. Lost ball. Oh yeah - would lose one there for sure."
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #726
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
Always in good shape. Great value. I've played my best and worst rounds on this course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Solid value, weekend fees with a cart are $90. And they offer specials throughout the week. It is an easy drive if you live in the south.
Thank you rain and north! Yeah I saw $89 weekend rate includes cart and a bucket of range balls. Thinking about hitting that place up!

Are the Marshall's and other players there pretty on your ass about pace of play? I try to keep up with next group for sure and have no problems telling my buddies or myself to pick up a ball and go if we have to, but I've been to some places where people are so anal about it even when we are already up behind the other group.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #727
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
Been busy so I haven't had a chance to follow up on this post until now but the golf portion of my trip turned out way better than expected. I ended up having both courses to myself (aka me and my caddie with not a single other soul on the course) which was an phenomenal experience. Both courses are absolutely stunning, in immaculate shape (apparently during their busy season they only get roughly 30 golfers a day), and really really difficult. If you're ever in that part of the world I highly recommend checking one or both of them out.
Maintaining these courses has to be a bitch. Some pretty rugged terrain from the looks of it. Hopefully it wasn't too gimmicky, looks terrific.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #728
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Thank you rain and north! Yeah I saw $89 weekend rate includes cart and a bucket of range balls. Thinking about hitting that place up!

Are the Marshall's and other players there pretty on your ass about pace of play? I try to keep up with next group for sure and have no problems telling my buddies or myself to pick up a ball and go if we have to, but I've been to some places where people are so anal about it even when we are already up behind the other group.
I have never seen marshall's on spear grass. I'd just say play at a reasonable pace by keeping up with the group in front of you.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #729
thatguy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone play silvertip this year? Got a teetime for Saturday and haven't played it in a couple years.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #730
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a nice quick nine holes in this morning at Confederation with a couple buddies. I love golf when the course is wide open. We didn't have to wait on any of the holes and the group behind us wasn't waiting on us and we had a relaxing 2 hour pace. I had a horrible start on the first two holes but pretty much played bogey golf on the remaining holes.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #731
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Coyote Creek and Sundre Golf Club yesterday. First time I've walked 36. My feet hurt
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #732
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Score Top 100 are out for 2016, to nobody's surprise Cabot Cliffs made it's debut at #1.

13 Alberta courses made the list, which is behind Ontario and BC but ahead of Quebec.

The Alberta courses were (bold are the Calgary courses)

3 - Jasper
8 - Banff
9 - Blackhawk
21 - Stewart Creek
25 - Calgary GCC
35 - Glencoe GCC - The Forest
50 - Priddis Greens - The Hawk

56 - Wolf Creek - Links
59 - Royal Mayfair
60 - Wolf Creek - Old
61 - Windermere
78 - Northern Bear
90 - Edmonton CC

Greywolf (18), Wildstone (93), and Eagle Ranch (100) also made it.

Always hard to put too much stock into the list once you get past the 'bucket list' courses. Some clubs don't even bother hosting the raters anymore (AFAIK Canyon Meadows hasn't done so for years) and most courses are so close in conditioning and style that it really just comes down to how much the clubs buttered the raters up and what the weather was like that day, neither of which are applicable to your average paying golfer.

But still, always fun to see.

http://scoregolf.com/top-100-2016/
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #733
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's certainly subjective. For me Wolf Creek - Old is probably the best layout I've played in the province, and every time I've played it the course has been in really good shape. Conversely while I really like Stewart Creek, I've been disappointed a couple times there by the condition of the course, the greens in particular. I also personally think of the Invermere and area course that Trickle Creek is the most enjoyable to play, and that while Greywolf has spectacular views abound, it's kind of a boring layout and too gimmicky for me.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #734
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My vote would be innisfail......but that is because I find wolf creek a vey difficult course to play.......
Old 07-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #735
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jared Du Toit is a Canadian and also a Flames fan. Go Jared!!!
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:59 AM   #736
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Score Top 100 are out for 2016, to nobody's surprise Cabot Cliffs made it's debut at #1.

13 Alberta courses made the list, which is behind Ontario and BC but ahead of Quebec.

The Alberta courses were (bold are the Calgary courses)

3 - Jasper
8 - Banff
9 - Blackhawk
21 - Stewart Creek
25 - Calgary GCC
35 - Glencoe GCC - The Forest
50 - Priddis Greens - The Hawk

56 - Wolf Creek - Links
59 - Royal Mayfair
60 - Wolf Creek - Old
61 - Windermere
78 - Northern Bear
90 - Edmonton CC

Greywolf (18), Wildstone (93), and Eagle Ranch (100) also made it.

Always hard to put too much stock into the list once you get past the 'bucket list' courses. Some clubs don't even bother hosting the raters anymore (AFAIK Canyon Meadows hasn't done so for years) and most courses are so close in conditioning and style that it really just comes down to how much the clubs buttered the raters up and what the weather was like that day, neither of which are applicable to your average paying golfer.

But still, always fun to see.

http://scoregolf.com/top-100-2016/
I have to go play Cabot Cliffs. It looks simply incredible.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #737
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, I have admittedly only driven through Calgary GCC and going just on observation and what I have heard- I am sure it is a great all around golf club, but from just a quality of golf course perspective- does it really deserve to be #25??

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 07-24-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #738
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wasn't Heritage a mainstay on these lists?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #739
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

American Express is offering a pair of green fees (Monday to Thursday) to Cottonwood for $200. Includes golf cart and the potential to replay for free the same day depending on availability. Is this a reasonably good deal?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #740
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Some clubs don't even bother hosting the raters anymore (AFAIK Canyon Meadows hasn't done so for years) and most courses are so close in conditioning and style that it really just comes down to how much the clubs buttered the raters up and what the weather was like that day, neither of which are applicable to your average paying golfer.
I'm at Marine Drive, and it used to be on the list each year, along with Point Grey and Shaughnessy. Both MD and PG have declined to host Score anymore. Management and the golfers don't see the benefit. When Score comes to your course they have some very entitled demands. If you don't give into their demands, your rating suffers. These demands aren't things that the public, or members, would be able to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow